From: Joe Knapka
Subject: CLOCC sort-of working in Lispbox with Allegro Trial Edition under Windows XP
Newbie here (sort of; I used LMI Lambda
Lisp machines and ACL in an academic setting
back in the early 90's, but haven't done much
Lisp since then). Please don't be too mean.
I followed the recent "How to restore CL-USER
to its default state" thread
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?U23F12C4D)
so I'm wary!

I had originally composed a "how the heck do I
use CLOCC??" message, but a bit of further
experimentation has allowed me instead to post
a "here's how I got CLOCC kinda working" message.
I strongly suspect I am doing this the wrong
way (it's mostly voodoo to me, and the CLOCC
documentation is, uh, not all that helpful),
so this message has two goals:

(1) To help you on your way if you're looking
to get CLOCC working in Lispbox, and

(2) To provoke more knowledgeable folks to
explain the error(s) of my ways.

1. Install Lispbox:

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox

To get this working on Windows XP you *need* to use
the "Allegro" bundle. (The CLISP one did not work
for me; the CLISP process fails in some mysterious
way when starting lispbox.)  Run the Lispbox
installer; it will install itself and the
crippled Allegro CL Trial Edition.

2. Get the nightly snapshot of CLOCC:

http://clocc.sourceforge.net/snapshot/

Un-tar it somewhere.  OK, what a nightmare;
this is Windows, remember.
I installed Cygwin http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe
and then started a Cygwin bash shell. Then,
since I had downloaded clocc.tar.gz to D:\jk\,
I did:

   cd /cygdrive/d/jk

   tar xzfv clocc.tar.gz

This creates the directory D:\jk\clocc, which
contains the CLOCC source code. However, I later
found out that CLOCC did not work if I left it
in this location, so instead I had to move it to
D:\gnu\clocc. I'd recommend un-tarring it in
D:\gnu\clocc in the first place (maybe it will work
on any drive? I don't know. But the \gnu directory
seems to be hard-coded somewhere...)

There are probably other ways to handle .tar.gz
files on Windows; I used Cygwin because
I was familiar with it (and Unix).

3.0. Read D:\gnu\clocc\INSTALL.  It will give you
two sets of instructions, one for building CLOCC
using GNU Make (don't bother), and another for
building it within your Lisp environment.

I didn't even try GNU make; the thought of getting
gmake running under Windows without Cygwin was
scary, and while I *could* run it under Cygwin,
I suspected the resulting binaries (or whatever)
would not work in my Windows-native Lispbox
environment.

3.1. So, crank up Lispbox and run the commands in
the section of the INSTALL file entitled
"* Lisp only". Note, do not try to save that
Lisp code to a file and then load it; I tried
that, it doesn't work.

For me, everything up to the line:

   (mk:oos "cllib" :compile)

seemed to work fine.  While compiling "cllib",
however, Allegro complained about "illegal
sharp character "\) [file position = 420]"
in "auto.lisp". I just aborted (that is, typed
"2" at Emacs, in the backtrace window); this
error doesn't seem to affect the ability to use
CLOCC (or at least, not the parts that I care
about today). Although it may have something to do
with step 4.

I should point out at this juncture that I
have no idea what the comment
   ;; * compile some systems
means. Once I got done with (mk:oos "cllib" :compile),
the :port package worked OK for me, so I stopped
there:

  (use-package :port)
  (resolve-host-ipaddr "locahost")
  #S(HOSTENT :NAME "localhost"
            :ALIASES NIL
            :ADDR-LIST ("127.0.0.1")
            :ADDR-TYPE 2)

4. Every time you restart Lispbox, do step
3.1 again.  There must be a way to avoid this,
but I've no idea what it is at this point.

Cheers, and thanks for any advice,

-- JK

From: karsten
Joe Knapka wrote:
> This creates the directory D:\jk\clocc, which
> contains the CLOCC source code. However, I later
> found out that CLOCC did not work if I left it
> in this location, so instead I had to move it to
Did you saw the line
(setq *clocc-root* "c:/gnu/clocc/") in install?
By setting this variable you can put the dir wherever you want.

Probably easiest in clocc.lisp
(defvar *clocc-root*
  #-(or win32 winnt mswindows cygwin) "/usr/local/src/clocc/"
  ....)

salud2

Karsten
From: karsten
Joe Knapka wrote:
> 4. Every time you restart Lispbox, do step
> 3.1 again.  There must be a way to avoid this,
> but I've no idea what it is at this point.

I tried with plain allegro, but I think the following is enough once
the systems are compiled:

(setq *clocc-root* "c:/data/lisp/clocc/") ; or whatever ...
(load (concatenate 'string *clocc-root* "clocc"))
(load (translate-logical-pathname "clocc:src;defsystem;defsystem"))
(dolist (l '("clocc:src;port;" "clocc:src;cllib;"
"clocc:src;ext;queues;"
             "clocc:src;port;configuration;"
"clocc:src;port;environment;"
             "clocc:src;ext;union-find;" "clocc:src;tools;metering;"
             "clocc:src;f2cl;" "clocc:src;f2cl;packages;"))
  (mk:add-registry-location (translate-logical-pathname l)))
;;; load whatever you need
(mk:oos "port" :load)

salud2

Karsten

PS:
The defsystem,lisp is a bit a mess. I especially like the line
(setf (symbol-function 'oos) (symbol-function 'operate-on-system))

This is only done to confuse editors so that meta-dot no longer works
or is there any other meaning?
From: Joe Knapka
karsten wrote:
> Joe Knapka wrote:
>
>>4. Every time you restart Lispbox, do step
>>3.1 again.  There must be a way to avoid this,
>>but I've no idea what it is at this point.
>>

> I tried with plain allegro, but I think the following is enough once
> the systems are compiled:
>
> (setq *clocc-root* "c:/data/lisp/clocc/") ; or whatever ...
> (load (concatenate 'string *clocc-root* "clocc"))
> (load (translate-logical-pathname "clocc:src;defsystem;defsystem"))
> (dolist (l '("clocc:src;port;" "clocc:src;cllib;"
> "clocc:src;ext;queues;"
>              "clocc:src;port;configuration;"
> "clocc:src;port;environment;"
>              "clocc:src;ext;union-find;" "clocc:src;tools;metering;"
>              "clocc:src;f2cl;" "clocc:src;f2cl;packages;"))
>   (mk:add-registry-location (translate-logical-pathname l)))
> ;;; load whatever you need
> (mk:oos "port" :load)

Wow. That's all?  ;-)

It seems that loading this incantation from a Lisp
source file does not work. At least, when I write a
file containing this code and try to C-c C-k it
in SLIME, ACL complains that package MK does not
exist.

So, if I wanted to write a program that depends on
CLOCC, and I didn't want the user to have to manually
load CLOCC via the code above before running my
program (!), what would be the correct approach?

If there is some blindingly obvious piece of documentation
that I should read in order to comprehend this stuff,
(by which I mean, CL packaging in general), please share.
I promise to read it before posting again. (I'm reading
the "Packages and Symbols" chapter of "Practical Common
Lisp" at the moment... It is clear, but doesn't seem
particularly germane to the problem of getting CLOCC
up and running.)

Thanks,

-- JK
From: Joe Marshall
Joe Knapka wrote:
> Newbie here (sort of; I used LMI Lambda
> Lisp machines ...). Please don't be too mean.

Using an LMI Lambda is far more punishment than we here in
comp.lang.lisp can dish out.
From: vanekl
Joe Knapka wrote:
> [...]
> "2" at Emacs, in the backtrace window); this
> error doesn't seem to affect the ability to use
> CLOCC (or at least, not the parts that I care
> about today). Although it may have something to do
> with step 4.
>
> I should point out at this juncture that I
> have no idea what the comment
>    ;; * compile some systems
> means. Once I got done with (mk:oos "cllib" :compile),
> the :port package worked OK for me, so I stopped
> there:
>
>   (use-package :port)
>   (resolve-host-ipaddr "locahost")
>   #S(HOSTENT :NAME "localhost"
>             :ALIASES NIL
>             :ADDR-LIST ("127.0.0.1")
>             :ADDR-TYPE 2)
>

> 4. Every time you restart Lispbox, do step
> 3.1 again.  There must be a way to avoid this,
> but I've no idea what it is at this point.

And, to be perfectly clear, CLOCC works just fine with Clisp if you use
up-to-date code and update the bottom of clocc.lisp to correspond to
your directory structure. Why they decided to bury this key setting is
beyond my pay grade, but it's easy to fix once you're forwarned. And
installing something like cygwin or mkstoolkit is good advice when
working with windows.

-lv
From: Joe Knapka
vanekl wrote:

> And, to be perfectly clear, CLOCC works just fine with Clisp if you use
> up-to-date code and update the bottom of clocc.lisp to correspond to
> your directory structure. Why they decided to bury this key setting is
> beyond my pay grade, but it's easy to fix once you're forwarned.

I guess this is a response to:

 > Joe Knapka wrote:
 >
 >>1. Install Lispbox:
 >>
 >>http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox
 >>
 >>To get this working on Windows XP you *need* to use
 >>the "Allegro" bundle. (The CLISP one did not work
 >>for me; the CLISP process fails in some mysterious
 >>way when starting lispbox.)  Run the Lispbox
 >>installer; it will install itself and the
 >>crippled Allegro CL Trial Edition.

What I meant here is that the CLISP version of
Lispbox from the gigamonkeys site would not
run at all (for me) on XP. Emacs starts, but
attempting to start SLIME results in a series of
messages similar to "CLISP.exe experienced a
problem and will close now". I never even got
to the point of trying to build CLOCC with
CLISP.

 > And
 > installing something like cygwin or mkstoolkit is good advice when
 > working with windows.

The thing that bothers me about trying to build CLOCC
with gmake under Cygwin, is that the paths in
Cygwin (/cygdrive/x/...) are going to be different
than the equivalent native Windows paths. Therefore,
I'm not very confident that software that's configured
or built within the Cygwin environment will work
outside of it (assuming that the configuration process
builds some paths that end up in the final product).
Especially in this case, where the Lisp is a native
Windows exe, and I'm trying to compile code that will
be loaded by it.  But I admit that I did not even
try it.

-- JK
From: vanekl
Joe Knapka wrote:
> vanekl wrote:
>
> > And, to be perfectly clear, CLOCC works just fine with Clisp if you use
> > up-to-date code and update the bottom of clocc.lisp to correspond to
> > your directory structure. Why they decided to bury this key setting is
> > beyond my pay grade, but it's easy to fix once you're forwarned.
>
> I guess this is a response to:
>
>  > Joe Knapka wrote:
>  >
>  >>1. Install Lispbox:
>  >>
>  >>http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox
>  >>
>  >>To get this working on Windows XP you *need* to use
>  >>the "Allegro" bundle. (The CLISP one did not work
>  >>for me; the CLISP process fails in some mysterious
>  >>way when starting lispbox.)  Run the Lispbox
>  >>installer; it will install itself and the
>  >>crippled Allegro CL Trial Edition.
>
> What I meant here is that the CLISP version of
> Lispbox from the gigamonkeys site would not
> run at all (for me) on XP. Emacs starts, but
> attempting to start SLIME results in a series of
> messages similar to "CLISP.exe experienced a
> problem and will close now". I never even got
> to the point of trying to build CLOCC with
> CLISP.
>
>  > And
>  > installing something like cygwin or mkstoolkit is good advice when
>  > working with windows.
>
> The thing that bothers me about trying to build CLOCC
> with gmake under Cygwin, is that the paths in
> Cygwin (/cygdrive/x/...) are going to be different
> than the equivalent native Windows paths. Therefore,
> I'm not very confident that software that's configured
> or built within the Cygwin environment will work
> outside of it (assuming that the configuration process
> builds some paths that end up in the final product).
> Especially in this case, where the Lisp is a native
> Windows exe, and I'm trying to compile code that will
> be loaded by it.  But I admit that I did not even
> try it.
>
> -- JK

I use Clisp and CLOCC with Cygwin practically every day.
And I use it both within the Cygwin directory tree and outside of it.
Outside of having to manually set the clocc root directory (that
I previously alluded to was annoying), I have had no problems with the
CLOCC/Clisp/Cygwin combination.

And as for the native Windows exe pgm you refer to, there
is none. All the makefile is is a fancy way of creating a temp lisp
image file so that lisp fasl/fas files can be compiled.

But, like you, at first I was not very confident the build process
would work, and, like you, the build instructions seem a tad light
to me.

Many of these prebundled software packages are out of date
and either need to be updated or simply deleted if nobody is
going to maintain them.

-lv
From: Joe Knapka
vanekl wrote:

> I use Clisp and CLOCC with Cygwin practically every day.
> And I use it both within the Cygwin directory tree and outside of it.
> Outside of having to manually set the clocc root directory (that
> I previously alluded to was annoying), I have had no problems with the
> CLOCC/Clisp/Cygwin combination.

That's good to know; I may give it a try. Do you use
Emacs/SLIME under Cygwin as well?

> And as for the native Windows exe pgm you refer to, there
> is none.

In my case, there is: ACL.  I toyed with CLISP briefly,
but the main issue for me is that I was not sure that
gmake running within Cygwin would be able to correctly
invoke *ACL* and build CLOCC.

> All the makefile is is a fancy way of creating a temp lisp
> image file so that lisp fasl/fas files can be compiled.

You lost me. I am just a baby when it comes to CL...

> But, like you, at first I was not very confident the build process
> would work, and, like you, the build instructions seem a tad light
> to me.
>
> Many of these prebundled software packages are out of date
> and either need to be updated or simply deleted if nobody is
> going to maintain them.

In eg Python, all I have to do (to a first order of approximation)
in order to install a new lib is drop it in a directory mentioned
in the PYTHONPATH environment var.  I would like to know why it
isn't that easy in CL.  And also, I'd like to know if would be
feasible to implement something similar in CL -- that is, a means
whereby code like maybe:

(import :port)

would look in some configurable set of directories for code
that defines the :port package, and would do "whatever is
necessary" to make that code available. I now realize that
in general, that could be a very tall order, but might it
be possible to build such a function that works for, say,
90% of existing libraries, such as CLOCC? Maybe some such
facility already exists? But in that case, why isn't everyone
using it?

Thanks,

-- JK
From: vanekl
Joe Knapka wrote:
> vanekl wrote:
>
> > I use Clisp and CLOCC with Cygwin practically every day.
> > And I use it both within the Cygwin directory tree and outside of it.
> > Outside of having to manually set the clocc root directory (that
> > I previously alluded to was annoying), I have had no problems with the
> > CLOCC/Clisp/Cygwin combination.
>
> That's good to know; I may give it a try. Do you use
> Emacs/SLIME under Cygwin as well?

I use xemacs/slime and vim.
Both prepackaged versions of emacs and xemacs
had problems on cygwin (I forget exactly what they were), but when I
compiled xemacs on cygwin they all went away except for the usual
xemacs eccentricities. BTW, compiling xemacs on cygwin is painless.

> > And as for the native Windows exe pgm you refer to, there
> > is none.
>
> In my case, there is: ACL.  I toyed with CLISP briefly,
> but the main issue for me is that I was not sure that
> gmake running within Cygwin would be able to correctly
> invoke *ACL* and build CLOCC.
>
> > All the makefile is is a fancy way of creating a temp lisp
> > image file so that lisp fasl/fas files can be compiled.
>
> You lost me. I am just a baby when it comes to CL...
>
> > But, like you, at first I was not very confident the build process
> > would work, and, like you, the build instructions seem a tad light
> > to me.
> >
> > Many of these prebundled software packages are out of date
> > and either need to be updated or simply deleted if nobody is
> > going to maintain them.
>
> In eg Python, all I have to do (to a first order of approximation)
> in order to install a new lib is drop it in a directory mentioned
> in the PYTHONPATH environment var.  I would like to know why it
> isn't that easy in CL.  And also, I'd like to know if would be
> feasible to implement something similar in CL -- that is, a means
> whereby code like maybe:
>
> (import :port)
>
> would look in some configurable set of directories for code
> that defines the :port package, and would do "whatever is
> necessary" to make that code available. I now realize that
> in general, that could be a very tall order, but might it
> be possible to build such a function that works for, say,
> 90% of existing libraries, such as CLOCC? Maybe some such
> facility already exists? But in that case, why isn't everyone
> using it?

Most lisp people are using it. It's called asdf. Setting up
asdf itself requires some work when on windows, but
cygwin makes it easier. Do a search on "asdf manual"
for install instructions.

To use asdf, you can load a package in one line almost as
easily as you show above:

(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :some-package)

This only works if 1) the person distributing their library also
includes an .asd file, and 2) you install the .asd file so that
there is a link to it from the asdf central repository directory.
There is another program called asdf-install which is
supposed to pull lisp libraries off the internet and create this
link so that you can use asdf immediately, but the libraries
that are set up to use asdf-install are usually out of date, so
I just download the latest code and install manually, which is
easy after you've done it a couple of times.

asdf is part of the cclan project on sourceforge.org. It can be
found on the CL cliki, too. Or at least hyperlinks.

Unfortunately, CLOCC doesn't use asdf. I think CLOCC
preceded asdf. Asdf is a relatively new thing in the lisp world.

> Thanks,
>
> -- JK

BTW, if you're going to be doing web programming it's probably
easier to stick with ACL because Clisp is NOT multithreaded, so
you have to bend over backwards to make Clisp work in a
multithreaded environment. But for simple programs I don't have
any problem recommending Clisp. All lisps have their own unique
corner cases, and ACL is no exception, but it probably
is a little easier to work with. I would use the "traditional" version,
however, not the case-sensitive version, since the majority of
existing code is written with case-insensitivity.

Lou Vanek
--
Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. - It's harsh, and
cruel. - But that's why there's us. Champions. It doesn't matter where
From: Paolo Amoroso
Joe Knapka <·········@kneuro.net> writes:

> 2. Get the nightly snapshot of CLOCC:
>
> http://clocc.sourceforge.net/snapshot/

Those snapshots are wildly out of date an no longer supported.  The
CLOCC sources are updated frequently and, as far as I know, the only
way to get the latest is via CVS.

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: Joe Knapka
Paolo Amoroso wrote:

> Joe Knapka <·········@kneuro.net> writes:
>

>>2. Get the nightly snapshot of CLOCC:
>>
>>http://clocc.sourceforge.net/snapshot/
>

> Those snapshots are wildly out of date an no longer supported.  The
> CLOCC sources are updated frequently and, as far as I know, the only
> way to get the latest is via CVS.

Really?  Is there any way a newbie could know
that? I mean, clocc.sourceforge.net is the top
Google hit for the phrase "Common Lisp Open Code
Collection", and there is no evidence on that
page that its contents are old.

I'll try the current CVS code, if I can find
it. Is the CVS link on clocc.sourceforge.net
out-of-date, too? (I get "Connection refused"
when I try it.)

Thanks,

-- JK
From: Joe Knapka

From: Paolo Amoroso
Joe Knapka <·········@kneuro.net> writes:

> Paolo Amoroso wrote:
[...]
>> Those snapshots are wildly out of date an no longer supported.  The
>> CLOCC sources are updated frequently and, as far as I know, the only
>> way to get the latest is via CVS.
>
> Really?  Is there any way a newbie could know
> that? I mean, clocc.sourceforge.net is the top

I'm afraid not.  The CLOCC maintainers often update the source code,
but not the web page.

> I'll try the current CVS code, if I can find
> it. Is the CVS link on clocc.sourceforge.net
> out-of-date, too? (I get "Connection refused"
> when I try it.)

Yes, that link is also out of date because of a recent SourceForge
reorganization of CVS repositories.  The new link should be:

  http://clocc.cvs.sourceforge.net/clocc/

Paolo