From: icosahedron
Subject: Install for Allegro CL Express Edition (Windows) working?
I am trying to run the install for the new Express Edition of Allegro
CL.  I have downloaded their installation app and run it.  It says "Now
downloading installer program..." and sits there.  Letting it wait for
several hours makes no difference.  Doing a netstat, I see
www.franz.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on the list almost immediately after
starting the program.  I've tried it from 3 different locations and at
several different times to make sure I wasn't trying while the server
was busy.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

From: icosahedron
icosahedron wrote:
> I am trying to run the install for the new Express Edition of Allegro
> CL.  I have downloaded their installation app and run it.  It says "Now
> downloading installer program..." and sits there.  Letting it wait for
> several hours makes no difference.  Doing a netstat, I see
> www.franz.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on the list almost immediately after
> starting the program.  I've tried it from 3 different locations and at
> several different times to make sure I wasn't trying while the server
> was busy.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to work?

FWIW, I've also tried it with my firewall disabled.
From: vanekl
icosahedron wrote:
> I am trying to run the install for the new Express Edition of Allegro
> CL.  I have downloaded their installation app and run it.  It says "Now
> downloading installer program..." and sits there.  Letting it wait for
> several hours makes no difference.  Doing a netstat, I see
> www.franz.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on the list almost immediately after
> starting the program.  I've tried it from 3 different locations and at
> several different times to make sure I wasn't trying while the server
> was busy.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to work?

It worked for me first thing a couple of days ago. Windows xp. Popups
are annoying, though. If you are using xp it may help to temporarily
turn off the software firewall and any virus protection (I use a
hardware router instead).
From: icosahedron
vanekl wrote:
> icosahedron wrote:
> > I am trying to run the install for the new Express Edition of Allegro
> > CL.  I have downloaded their installation app and run it.  It says "Now
> > downloading installer program..." and sits there.  Letting it wait for
> > several hours makes no difference.  Doing a netstat, I see
> > www.franz.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on the list almost immediately after
> > starting the program.  I've tried it from 3 different locations and at
> > several different times to make sure I wasn't trying while the server
> > was busy.
> >
> > Has anyone gotten this to work?
>
> It worked for me first thing a couple of days ago. Windows xp. Popups
> are annoying, though. If you are using xp it may help to temporarily
> turn off the software firewall and any virus protection (I use a
> hardware router instead).

Thanks.  I was looking for confirmation that someone had it work for
them.  I figure it's something in my own configuration, but I can't
figure out what.
From: Kevin Layer
"vanekl" <·····@acd.net> writes:

> > Has anyone gotten this to work?
>
> It worked for me first thing a couple of days ago. Windows xp. Popups
> are annoying, though. If you are using xp it may help to temporarily
> turn off the software firewall and any virus protection (I use a
> hardware router instead).

I have seen cases where anti-virus software that includes "internet"
filters causes problems.  So, if you have trouble, pause your
anti-virus program, just for the download, though be aware that after
the download and installation of the Express, it will connect to our
website again to get a license file, and I've seen anti-virus products
(NOD32, IIRC), prevent that process, too.

Kevin Layer
From: karsten
Kevin Layer wrote:
..
> anti-virus program, just for the download, though be aware that after
> the download and installation of the Express, it will connect to our
> website again to get a license file, and I've seen anti-virus products
> (NOD32, IIRC), prevent that process, too.

After download of allegro-express for linux (and download of the
license file), my first call to allegro-ansi took ages (it said it
would download a license file, but never terminated).

I stopped the process and funny enough restarting alisp and later
allegro-ansi worked fine.

Freshly installed Fedore Core 5, fast internet connection, sunday
afternoon

salud2

Karsten
From: icosahedron
Kevin Layer wrote:
> "vanekl" <·····@acd.net> writes:
>
> > > Has anyone gotten this to work?
> >
> > It worked for me first thing a couple of days ago. Windows xp. Popups
> > are annoying, though. If you are using xp it may help to temporarily
> > turn off the software firewall and any virus protection (I use a
> > hardware router instead).
>
> I have seen cases where anti-virus software that includes "internet"
> filters causes problems.  So, if you have trouble, pause your
> anti-virus program, just for the download, though be aware that after
> the download and installation of the Express, it will connect to our
> website again to get a license file, and I've seen anti-virus products
> (NOD32, IIRC), prevent that process, too.
>
> Kevin Layer

Thanks Kevin.  I've tried that.  I do run NOD32, so I disabled both the
Windows firewall and the Nod32 virus scanner, and it seems to have the
same problem.  This is getting rather annoying.  Wouldn't it be in
Franz's interest to offer a download all-in-one package for people such
as myself (unlucky/incompetent enough to have the installer fail)?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jay
From: Eirik Mikkelsen
"icosahedron" <···········@gmail.com> writes:

> Kevin Layer wrote:

>> > It worked for me first thing a couple of days ago. Windows xp. Popups
>> > are annoying, though. If you are using xp it may help to temporarily
>> > turn off the software firewall and any virus protection (I use a
>> > hardware router instead).
>>
>> I have seen cases where anti-virus software that includes "internet"
>> filters causes problems.  So, if you have trouble, pause your
>> anti-virus program, just for the download, though be aware that after
>> the download and installation of the Express, it will connect to our
>> website again to get a license file, and I've seen anti-virus products
>> (NOD32, IIRC), prevent that process, too.
>>
>> Kevin Layer
>
> Thanks Kevin.  I've tried that.  I do run NOD32, so I disabled both the
> Windows firewall and the Nod32 virus scanner, and it seems to have the
> same problem.  This is getting rather annoying.  Wouldn't it be in
> Franz's interest to offer a download all-in-one package for people such
> as myself (unlucky/incompetent enough to have the installer fail)?

I had the same problem. I'm using NOD32 and disabling the scanner
(IMON, AMON etc) didn't help. The installer worked only after I
completely uninstalled NOD32.

Eirik
From: John Thingstad
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 02:04:14 +0200, vanekl <·····@acd.net> wrote:

> icosahedron wrote:
>> I am trying to run the install for the new Express Edition of Allegro
>> CL.  I have downloaded their installation app and run it.  It says "Now
>> downloading installer program..." and sits there.  Letting it wait for
>> several hours makes no difference.  Doing a netstat, I see
>> www.franz.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on the list almost immediately after
>> starting the program.  I've tried it from 3 different locations and at
>> several different times to make sure I wasn't trying while the server
>> was busy.
>>
>> Has anyone gotten this to work?
>
> It worked for me first thing a couple of days ago. Windows xp. Popups
> are annoying, though. If you are using xp it may help to temporarily
> turn off the software firewall and any virus protection (I use a
> hardware router instead).

Worked for me too. Never had a problem..
Windows XP 2005 Media Center Edition.
And yes. Calling it freebie instead of personal and adding all sort of
Anti-Features is annoying.

PS.
I am currently learning web programming and I won't be ready to order
enterprise edition to august. Who needs to pay for three months of
support when you are working on different aspects of programming?
I need to learn modern web programming (in PHP in my case) and port
those skills to ACL.

From: Kevin Layer
"John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> writes:

> And yes. Calling it freebie instead of personal and adding all sort of
> Anti-Features is annoying.

It has a nag that pops up every two hours.  Period.

In addition, it has *more* features than the previous Trial did.

Did I mention that it is free?

Kevin Layer
From: John Thingstad
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:06:05 +0200, Kevin Layer
<·····@*n*o*s*p*a*m*franz.com> wrote:

> "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> writes:
>
>> And yes. Calling it freebie instead of personal and adding all sort of
>> Anti-Features is annoying.
>
> It has a nag that pops up every two hours.  Period.
>
> In addition, it has *more* features than the previous Trial did.
>
> Did I mention that it is free?
>
> Kevin Layer

try the max meap size..

From: Kevin Layer
"John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> writes:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:06:05 +0200, Kevin Layer
> <·····@*n*o*s*p*a*m*franz.com> wrote:
>
> > "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> writes:
> >
> >> And yes. Calling it freebie instead of personal and adding all sort of
> >> Anti-Features is annoying.
> >
> > It has a nag that pops up every two hours.  Period.
> >
> > In addition, it has *more* features than the previous Trial did.
> >
> > Did I mention that it is free?
> >
> > Kevin Layer
>
> try the max meap size..

That's not new.  Every Trial has had one.  In 7.0 (initially) it was
20MB.  In 8.0 it is 55MB.

Kevin Layer
From: John Thingstad
<·····@*n*o*s*p*a*m*franz.com> wrote:

> "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> writes:
>
>> And yes. Calling it freebie instead of personal and adding all sort of
>> Anti-Features is annoying.
>
> It has a nag that pops up every two hours.  Period.
>
> In addition, it has *more* features than the previous Trial did.
>
> Did I mention that it is free?
>
> Kevin Layer

try:
personal edition. My favorite anti-virus software.
It has more features and better security than most commercial
versions. It stands in a class of it's own among the 'free' versions.
I actually deleted a version of McAffey with 15 months variety
in favor of Zone-Alarm, Eraser and Avast.

John

From: Ken Tilton
icosahedron wrote:
> I am trying to run the install for the new Express Edition of Allegro
> CL.  I have downloaded their installation app and run it.  It says "Now
> downloading installer program..." and sits there.  Letting it wait for
> several hours makes no difference.  Doing a netstat, I see
> www.franz.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on the list almost immediately after
> starting the program.  I've tried it from 3 different locations and at
> several different times to make sure I wasn't trying while the server
> was busy.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to work?

yes, on OS X.

hth, kenny

From: icosahedron
Ken Tilton wrote:
> icosahedron wrote:
> > I am trying to run the install for the new Express Edition of Allegro
> > CL.  I have downloaded their installation app and run it.  It says "Now
> > downloading installer program..." and sits there.  Letting it wait for
> > several hours makes no difference.  Doing a netstat, I see
> > www.franz.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on the list almost immediately after
> > starting the program.  I've tried it from 3 different locations and at
> > several different times to make sure I wasn't trying while the server
> > was busy.
> >
> > Has anyone gotten this to work?
> >

> yes, on OS X.

Well, it's something.  And with some time, I hope to have a new 17"
MacBook Pro.  And then I'll know it works. :)
From: Eirik Mikkelsen
"icosahedron" <···········@gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to run the install for the new Express Edition of Allegro
> CL.  I have downloaded their installation app and run it.  It says "Now
> downloading installer program..." and sits there.  Letting it wait for
> several hours makes no difference.  Doing a netstat, I see
> www.franz.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on the list almost immediately after
> starting the program.  I've tried it from 3 different locations and at
> several different times to make sure I wasn't trying while the server
> was busy.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to work?

I had the exact same problem, and had an exchange with Franz about that.

My solution was (as Kenny suggests) to buy a Mac... :-)
From: Rob Warnock
icosahedron <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| It says "Now downloading installer program..." and sits there.
| Letting it wait for several hours makes no difference. Doing a
| netstat, I see www.franz.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on the list almost
| immediately after starting the program.
+---------------

This, at least, is perfectly normal: CLOSE_WAIT is the state you
will be in for the entire transfer if your browser closes the
client-to-server side of the TCP/IP connection after sending the
HTTP request.

Wait a second... That's backwards! CLOSE_WAIT is the state the
*server* will be in for the entire transfer if the client does a
"half-close", in which case the connection on *your* side should
be in FIN-WAIT-2 for the entire remainder of the transfer [after
briefly passing through FIN-WAIT-1].

See Figure 6 in <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc793.txt> for the
full TCP state diagram. It suggests that your client has received
a FIN (close) from the server but then thinks it still has more
to send so has never formally closed its end (which would have
sent its own FIN to the server).

<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/fin_wait_2.html> describes
"the FIN-WAIT-2 problem" as seen from the *server's* point of view,
which you would be seeing as connections in CLOSE-WAIT. You might
ask someone at Franz if they're seening a lot of connections on
their server hung in FIN-WAIT-2 pointing to your address...

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Kevin Layer
····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:

> You might
> ask someone at Franz if they're seening a lot of connections on
> their server hung in FIN-WAIT-2 pointing to your address...

Not that I know of.

Kevin Layer
From: icosahedron
icosahedron wrote:
> I am trying to run the install for the new Express Edition of Allegro
> CL.  I have downloaded their installation app and run it.  It says "Now
> downloading installer program..." and sits there.  Letting it wait for
> several hours makes no difference.  Doing a netstat, I see
> www.franz.com:http CLOSE_WAIT on the list almost immediately after
> starting the program.  I've tried it from 3 different locations and at
> several different times to make sure I wasn't trying while the server
> was busy.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to work?

I downloaded the latest version of their installer and it worked!  It
alerted me that NOD32 was the offending application and told me how to
shut it down.  I guess I had been doing that improperly.  Thanks to all
for their generous help.