From: =?iso-8859-1?B?ROFyaW8=?=
Subject: Lisp related MSc
Hi,
I am looking for ideas for a LISP related master's thesis.
Thanks.

From: BobF
Subject: Re: Lisp related MSc
On 14 Jun 2006 07:31:59 -0700, D�rio wrote:

> Hi,
> I am looking for ideas for a LISP related master's thesis.
> Thanks.

<$.02US>

From the perspective of a lisp newbie (but a programming old-timer):

The merits of interactive development, specifically lisp.

As I read various posts and especially the RtL entries, there are many
claims of the superiority of lisp's interactive nature in terms of ability
to map problem definition to a functioning lisp solution.  Many-fold
increases in productivity being the most claimed direct result.

I do not dispute these claims.  However, I have been unable (so far) to
find an actual study that supports these claims with empirical data.

</$.02US>
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
BobF wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2006 07:31:59 -0700, Dário wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am looking for ideas for a LISP related master's thesis.
> > Thanks.
>
> <$.02US>
>
> From the perspective of a lisp newbie (but a programming old-timer):
>
> The merits of interactive development, specifically lisp.
>

> As I read various posts and especially the RtL entries, there are many
> claims of the superiority of lisp's interactive nature in terms of ability
> to map problem definition to a functioning lisp solution.  Many-fold
> increases in productivity being the most claimed direct result.
>
> I do not dispute these claims.  However, I have been unable (so far) to
> find an actual study that supports these claims with empirical data.
>
> </$.02US>

..something related to this: http://www.norvig.com/java-lisp.html ..
but maybe an update would be nice since this is from 1999.

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://lars.nostdal.org/
From: BobF
On 14 Jun 2006 08:40:18 -0700, Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:

> BobF wrote:
>> On 14 Jun 2006 07:31:59 -0700, D�rio wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I am looking for ideas for a LISP related master's thesis.
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> <$.02US>
>>
>> From the perspective of a lisp newbie (but a programming old-timer):
>>
>> The merits of interactive development, specifically lisp.
>>

>> As I read various posts and especially the RtL entries, there are many
>> claims of the superiority of lisp's interactive nature in terms of ability
>> to map problem definition to a functioning lisp solution.  Many-fold
>> increases in productivity being the most claimed direct result.
>>
>> I do not dispute these claims.  However, I have been unable (so far) to
>> find an actual study that supports these claims with empirical data.
>>
>> </$.02US>
>

> ..something related to this: http://www.norvig.com/java-lisp.html ..
> but maybe an update would be nice since this is from 1999.

Good link.  Thanks.

My suggestion above was meant to focus more on the pros/cons of interactive
vs edit-compile-run.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"D�rio" <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> I am looking for ideas for a LISP related master's thesis.

Parellel Common Lisp for multicore processors! :-)

From: fireblade
From: vanekl
Dário wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for ideas for a LISP related master's thesis.
> Thanks

If one of your goals is to ultimately get a job at Google then
researching dynamic search might be a stepping stone..What I mean by
dynamic search is: data set may grow or shrink at any time, but the
problem is more interesting (and practical) if you constrain the
problem to growth. Don't limit yourself to just one algorithm; the
power of Lisp is that you should be able to set up a simple framework
that would allow you to easily plug in a number of different algorithms
and compare their results. See PAIP.

-lv