From: evan
Subject: matlisp : ./configure, make, and then?
Hi,

I am starting out lisp, and would like to make some scientific
computation. Searching on cliki.net and on this newsgroup led me to the
conclusion that the package matlisp would suit my needs for a
mathematical library (linear algebra, signal processing).

I downloaded the "latest" version which is named
matlisp-2_0beta-2003-10-14, and followed the instructions:

./configure --with-lisp=cmucl
make

Now I guess that the compilation was a success because I don't see any
error message, but I don't really understand where I am (see output
below). I guess that means that I am at a sort of REPL. But what to do
from that? I am used to using emacs and slime and editing source files
which I then execute into the current lisp session.

In a slime session I tried to use the package with (in-package
'matlisp-user), but as I expected that didn't succeed. I guess that I
have to make lisp aware of the presence of matlisp, but how to do that?

I run Linux (Ubuntu/Dapper) and I am quite used to installing software
with "./configure, make, make install", but here make tells me that
there is no rule for the target install.

Pointers are more than welcome !

Thanks,

Evan

ps: the offending output:

 ** MATLISP is loaded.  Type (HELP MATLISP)
    to see a list of available symbols.
    To use matlisp:

          (use-package "MATLISP")

    or

          (in-package "MATLISP-USER")

 ** The logical pathname matlisp has been
    set to:

          /home/evan/local/src/cl/matlisp-2_0beta-2003-10-14/

CMU Common Lisp CVS release-19a 19a-release-20040728 + minimal debian
patches, running on Evan
With core: /usr/lib/cmucl/lisp.core
Dumped on: Tue, 2006-05-30 20:48:31+09:00 on Evan
For support see http://www.cons.org/cmucl/support.html Send bug reports
to the debian BTS.
or to ········@debian.org
type (help) for help, (quit) to exit, and (demo) to see the demos

Loaded subsystems:
    Python 1.1, target Intel x86
    CLOS based on Gerd's PCL 2004/04/14 03:32:47
    MATLISP/Pre 2.0
*

From: =?iso-8859-1?B?ROFyaW8=?=
Subject: Re: matlisp : ./configure, make, and then?
Hi evan ,
For doing scientific computation also take a look at LUSH (Lisp
Universal Shell).

From: Nicolas Neuss
If you restart your Lisp session, you should be able to load Matlisp with

 (load "start.lisp")  ; or similar if you are not in the Matlisp directory

Then do, e.g.

 (in-package "MATLISP-USER")

Nicolas.
From: evan
Nicolas Neuss wrote:
> If you restart your Lisp session, you should be able to load Matlisp with
>
>  (load "start.lisp")  ; or similar if you are not in the Matlisp directory
>
> Then do, e.g.
>
>  (in-package "MATLISP-USER")
>
> Nicolas.

Thanks !