From: sickfaichezi
Subject: slime and emacs: Missing *lisp-output-stream* process
Hello all,

Recently I acquired an Ubuntu system and have transferred all my
development over to my new system from my old Debian system.

I believe I have all the current lisp related packages and that
everything should work, but code that used to work on my old system, no
longer works on my new system.

I am using emacs + slime + cmucl.

>From the error below,  I can guess problem seems to be related to the
swank-backend output

Type-error in KERNEL::OBJECT-NOT-TYPE-ERROR-HANDLER:
   #<SWANK-BACKEND::SLIME-OUTPUT-STREAM
     {58001095}> is not of type SYSTEM:FD-STREAM
   [Condition of type TYPE-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT-REQUEST] Abort handling SLIME request.
  1: [ABORT] Return to Top-Level.

Backtrace:
  0: (LISP::DO-OUTPUT 5 #<SWANK-BACKEND::SLIME-OUTPUT-STREAM
{58001095}> #<The ACL-COMPAT.SYSTEM package, 0/6 internal, 3/3
external> 0 ...)[:EXTERNAL]
  1: (LISP::FLUSH-OUTPUT-BUFFER #<SWANK-BACKEND::SLIME-OUTPUT-STREAM
{58001095}>)
  2: (SEND-MAILS)
.
.
.

Also, on my old system, when I would quit out of emacs with slime
running, I would get a warning prompt as follows

Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (yes or no)

and a process uffer displaying the following:

Proc         Status   Buffer         Tty         Command
----         ------   ------         ---         -------
*lisp-output-stream* open  *cl-connection* (none) (network stream
connection to 127.0.0.1)
SLIME Lisp   open      *cl-connection* (none)    (network stream
connection to 127.0.0.1)
inferior-lisp run     *inferior-lisp* /dev/pts/1 lisp

On my new ubuntu system, when I quit out of emacs with slime running I
get the same prompt but the process buffer only shows:

Proc         Status   Buffer         Tty         Command
----         ------   ------         ---         -------
SLIME Lisp   open      *cl-connection* (none)    (network stream
connection to 127.0.0.1)
inferior-lisp run     *inferior-lisp* /dev/pts/6 lisp

in my new system, the *lisp-output-stream*  process seems to be
missing.  I've been trying to research the problem as much as possible,
but there doesn't seem to be much information out there.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.
-Kaom

From: ·········@gmail.com
me too have the same problem with emacs + slime + clisp in fedora core
4.

i getting a message: connection failed ...

the connection between slime and lisp getting disconnected
automatically after few seconds.

can any one help me!

thanks in advance
From: sickfaichezi
I found a fix to my problem.  I put the following line in my
~/.swank.lisp file and all is okay

(setf swank:*use-dedicated-output-stream* t)