From: Nikola Skoric
Subject: installing slime on windows
I must be blind or something. I searched the Internet, and I can't find
anybody having this problem, to it must be I'm blind or something.
Installation of SLIME says:
...installation just requires a few lines in your `~/.emacs'.
Nice. But, where do I find .emacs on Windows? :-)

The funny part is I already instaled SLIME on Windows machine and I
remember it was straightforward and easy...

--
"Now the storm has passed over me
I'm left to drift on a dead calm sea

From: Ari  Johnson
Subject: Re: installing slime on windows
Nikola Skoric wrote:
> I must be blind or something. I searched the Internet, and I can't find
> anybody having this problem, to it must be I'm blind or something.
> Installation of SLIME says:
> ...installation just requires a few lines in your `~/.emacs'.
> Nice. But, where do I find .emacs on Windows? :-)
>
> The funny part is I already instaled SLIME on Windows machine and I
> remember it was straightforward and easy...

Try:
%USERPROFILE%\_emacs
From: BobF
On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:05:06 +0200, Nikola Skoric wrote:

> I must be blind or something. I searched the Internet, and I can't find
> anybody having this problem, to it must be I'm blind or something.
> Installation of SLIME says:
> ...installation just requires a few lines in your `~/.emacs'.
> Nice. But, where do I find .emacs on Windows? :-)
>
> The funny part is I already instaled SLIME on Windows machine and I
> remember it was straightforward and easy...

I installed SLIME via lispbox, so ymmv

I did a search and found .emacs in C:\
From: Nikola Skoric
In article <·······························@40tude.net>,
·············@charter.net says...
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:05:06 +0200, Nikola Skoric wrote:
>
> > I must be blind or something. I searched the Internet, and I can't find
> > anybody having this problem, to it must be I'm blind or something.
> > Installation of SLIME says:
> > ...installation just requires a few lines in your `~/.emacs'.
> > Nice. But, where do I find .emacs on Windows? :-)
> >
> > The funny part is I already instaled SLIME on Windows machine and I
> > remember it was straightforward and easy...
>
> I installed SLIME via lispbox, so ymmv

That's right. That way the straightforward and easy way of instaling the
SLIME :-) Thanks.

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Nikola Skoric <·········@net4u.hr> writes:

> I must be blind or something. I searched the Internet, and I can't find
> anybody having this problem, to it must be I'm blind or something.
> Installation of SLIME says:
> ...installation just requires a few lines in your `~/.emacs'.
> Nice. But, where do I find .emacs on Windows? :-)

Short answer: C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET
Long answer: You don't care, let emacs find it for you!

> The funny part is I already instaled SLIME on Windows machine and I
> remember it was straightforward and easy...

neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush
From: Marco Bakera
Nikola Skoric wrote:

> ...installation just requires a few lines in your `~/.emacs'.
> Nice. But, where do I find .emacs on Windows? :-)

Windows XPs User-Home might be around C:\Documents and
Settings\username\

Greetings,
Marco.
From: Donald C. Lindsay
Nikola Skoric wrote:
> I must be blind or something. I searched the Internet, and I can't find
> anybody having this problem, to it must be I'm blind or something.
> Installation of SLIME says:
> ...installation just requires a few lines in your `~/.emacs'.
> Nice. But, where do I find .emacs on Windows? :-)

Use the HOME environment variable.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environment .

Add HOME with whatever folder you want. Emacs and Slime will store
.emacs and other files there.

As I recall Emacs wants the folder to be listed with the *nix style
forward-slashes / instead of windows style backslashes \ but you can
experiment with that. Completions and paths work much better if you use
a  folder path without spaces in the folder names, e.g.
c:/lispbox/lisp/this-folder/ rather than c:/Program Files/lispbox/

Don
From: ········@gmail.com
Nikola Skoric wrote:
> I must be blind or something. I searched the Internet, and I can't find
> anybody having this problem, to it must be I'm blind or something.
> Installation of SLIME says:
> ...installation just requires a few lines in your `~/.emacs'.
> Nice. But, where do I find .emacs on Windows? :-)

I haven't used GNU emacs in years, but xemacs has a nice menu option to
edit the init file.  If Emacs also has this functionality (and I can't
imagine that it wouldn't), just use that and don't worry about where it
is.

Andy

From: Henry
Nikola Skoric wrote:
> I must be blind or something. I searched the Internet, and I can't find
> anybody having this problem, to it must be I'm blind or something.
> Installation of SLIME says:
> ...installation just requires a few lines in your `~/.emacs'.
> Nice. But, where do I find .emacs on Windows? :-)

I had the same problem.  I think Ari Johnson has the answer.  I found
that using _emacs instead of .emacs worked fine.

Open a DOS window and type %HOMEPATH%.  Put a text file called _emacs
in that directory.