From: ···············@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: SGML
I've heard sgml comes from LISP, can someone expand on their
relationship?
Thanks
Mario

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: SGML
···············@yahoo.co.uk writes:

> I've heard sgml comes from LISP, can someone expand on their
> relationship?
> Thanks

Well, since LISP is the second older programming language still in use
today, you can say that everything (but FORTRAN) comes from LISP, has
been influenced by Lisp.

I don't see LISP mentionned in the history of SGML...
http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/index.htm

"By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my
family. Prepare to die!"
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:

> ···············@yahoo.co.uk writes:
>
> > I've heard sgml comes from LISP, can someone expand on their
> > relationship?
> > Thanks
>
> Well, since LISP is the second older programming language still in use
> today, you can say that everything (but FORTRAN) comes from LISP, has
> been influenced by Lisp.

FORTRAN was very clearly influenced by LISP, specifically with the
introduction of a conventional if statement.  And we can of course see
FORTRAN's influence on Common Lisp in FORMAT.
From: Thomas A. Russ
···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> FORTRAN was very clearly influenced by LISP, specifically with the
> introduction of a conventional if statement.

I would have expected IF to come from Algol.  Lisp didn't really have an
IF early in its history when it would have been able to influence FORTRAN.

>  And we can of course see
> FORTRAN's influence on Common Lisp in FORMAT.

True.

From: ·········@aol.com
Thomas A. Russ wrote:
> ···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:
>
> > FORTRAN was very clearly influenced by LISP, specifically with the
> > introduction of a conventional if statement.
>
> I would have expected IF to come from Algol.  Lisp didn't really have an
> IF early in its history when it would have been able to influence FORTRAN.
>
> >  And we can of course see
> > FORTRAN's influence on Common Lisp in FORMAT.
>
> True.
>
> --
> Thomas A. Russ,  USC/Information Sciences Institute

Fortran had an IF statement back in 1956 -- see
http://www.fortran.com/ibm.html and http://www.fortran.com/ibm4.jpg .
From: Darren New
>>>FORTRAN was very clearly influenced by LISP, specifically with the
>>>introduction of a conventional if statement.

<chop>

> Fortran had an IF statement back in 1956 -- see

Yes, but that's what's called an arithmetic IF, rather than what the OP
meant by a "conventional" IF. "a" there isn't a boolean, but an integer.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     My Bath Fu is strong, as I have
From: Thomas F. Burdick
···@sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ) writes:

> ···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:
>
> > FORTRAN was very clearly influenced by LISP, specifically with the
> > introduction of a conventional if statement.
>
> I would have expected IF to come from Algol.  Lisp didn't really have an
> IF early in its history when it would have been able to influence FORTRAN.

Well yes, but where do you think ALGOL got it from?  (Hint: the answer is COND)
From: Peter Seibel
···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> ···@sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ) writes:
>
>> ···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:
>>
>> > FORTRAN was very clearly influenced by LISP, specifically with the
>> > introduction of a conventional if statement.
>>
>> I would have expected IF to come from Algol.  Lisp didn't really have an
>> IF early in its history when it would have been able to influence FORTRAN.
>
> Well yes, but where do you think ALGOL got it from? (Hint: the
> answer is COND)

Hmmm, I thought that Lisp's contribution was the conditional
*expression*, not the conditional construct itself. And the former
*wasn't* accepted into Algol despite McCarthy's urging. Anyway, that's
what I got from reading this (and probably some other histories of
Lisp that I can't think of at the moment.)

  I invented conditional expressions in connection with a set of chess
  legal move routines I wrote in FORTRAN for the IBM 704 at M.I.T.
  during 1957-58. This program did not use list processing. The IF
  statement provided in FORTRAN 1 and FORTRAN 2 was very awkward to
  use, and it was natural to invent a function XIF(M,N1,N2) whose
  value was N1 or N2 according to whether the expression M was zero or
  not. The function shortened many programs and made them easier to
  understand, but it had to be used sparingly, because all three
  arguments had to be evaluated before XIF was entered, since XIF was
  called as an ordinary FORTRAN function though written in machine
  language. This led to the invention of the true conditional
  expression which evaluates only one of N1 and N2 according to
  whether M is true or false and to a desire for a programming
  language that would allow its use.

  A paper defining conditional expressions and proposing their use in
  Algol was sent to the Communications of the ACM but was arbitrarily
  demoted to a letter to the editor, because it was very short.

  from <http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/history/lisp/node2.html>

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
···············@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I've heard sgml comes from LISP, can someone expand on their
> relationship?
> Thanks
> Mario

I believe Erik Naggum worked on SGML.

--
mvh,
Lars Rune Nøstdal
From: Rob Warnock
Lars Rune N�stdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| ···············@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
| > I've heard sgml comes from LISP, can someone expand on their
| > relationship?
|
| I believe Erik Naggum worked on SGML.

Indeed. Doing a Google search for "naggum lisp sgml" (without the quotes)
will provide *lots* of interesting reading...

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>