From: Jeffery Zhang
Subject: CLSQL MS SQL Server support
On CLSQL's homepage, it says that starting version 3.50, it now supports
MS SQL Server. Have anyone tried it and which versions of SQL Server
does it support. I would like to be able to remotely connect to a SQL
Server database from lisp. I'm running SBCL 0.9.13 on Ubuntu linux 6.

Also, what is the connection string format used for connecting to the
database? In the CLSQL documentation it says that CONNECTION-SPEC is
vendor specific.

From: Dominic Robinson
Subject: Re: CLSQL MS SQL Server support
Hi Jeffrey

> On CLSQL's homepage, it says that starting version 3.50, it now supports
> MS SQL Server. Have anyone tried it and which versions of SQL Server
> does it support. I would like to be able to remotely connect to a SQL
> Server database from lisp. I'm running SBCL 0.9.13 on Ubuntu linux 6.

I did much of the work on the SQL Server support.  I am actively using
it to connect to SQL Server 2000 from LispWorks for Windows 4.4.6 so I
know that configuration works pretty well.

> Also, what is the connection string format used for connecting to the
> database? In the CLSQL documentation it says that CONNECTION-SPEC is
> vendor specific.

There is a great source of information on ODBC connection strings at:

http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=81

follow the 'SQL Server' link under' ODBC DSN-Less'

- Dominic Robinson
From: Vagif Verdi
Dominic Robinson wrote:
>  I am actively using
> it to connect to SQL Server 2000 from LispWorks for Windows 4.4.6

I'm using Lispworks on windows with SQL Server too.
But with Lispworks native sql library.

Can you explain why did you chose CLSQL over lispworks sql library ?
From: Georges Ko
"Vagif Verdi" <···········@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using Lispworks on windows with SQL Server too.
> But with Lispworks native sql library.
>
> Can you explain why did you chose CLSQL over lispworks sql library ?

Lispworks SQL library available only in Enterprise & Academic
editions, perhaps?
--
 Georges Ko                     ···@gko.net                      2006-07-21
From: Dominic Robinson
Georges Ko wrote:
> Lispworks SQL library available only in Enterprise & Academic
> editions, perhaps?

Exactly that - I am using LW Professional.

Could anyone who has used LispWorks' Common SQL implementation comment
on its merits vs CLSQL?

- Dominic
From: Brian Downing
In article <························@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
Dominic Robinson <····@spikeisland.com> wrote:
> Exactly that - I am using LW Professional.
>
> Could anyone who has used LispWorks' Common SQL implementation comment
> on its merits vs CLSQL?

I believe that LispWorks' KnowledgeWorks environment might tie into
Common SQL to make some magic happen with regard to reasoning over
object-mapped relational data.  But I'm not actually sure about this.

Other than that, CLSQL is (in my experience) vastly superior in
capability, reliability, and documentation.  I prefer it even when I
have access to Common SQL.

-bcd
--
*** Brian Downing <bdowning at lavos dot net>
From: Jeffery Zhang
On 2006-07-20 17:54:10 -0500, "Dominic Robinson" <····@spikeisland.com> said:

> Hi Jeffrey
>
>> On CLSQL's homepage, it says that starting version 3.50, it now supports
>> MS SQL Server. Have anyone tried it and which versions of SQL Server
>> does it support. I would like to be able to remotely connect to a SQL
>> Server database from lisp. I'm running SBCL 0.9.13 on Ubuntu linux 6.
>
> I did much of the work on the SQL Server support.  I am actively using
> it to connect to SQL Server 2000 from LispWorks for Windows 4.4.6 so I
> know that configuration works pretty well.
>
>> Also, what is the connection string format used for connecting to the
>> database? In the CLSQL documentation it says that CONNECTION-SPEC is
>> vendor specific.
>
> There is a great source of information on ODBC connection strings at:
>
> http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=81
>
> follow the 'SQL Server' link under' ODBC DSN-Less'
>
> - Dominic Robinson

Can someone post some sample code with regard to connection strings
like if I'm trying to connect to <database> on <server>, what would I
pass as the parameters to connect?
From: Dominic Robinson
Jeffery Zhang wrote:

> Can someone post some sample code with regard to connection strings
> like if I'm trying to connect to <database> on <server>, what would I
> pass as the parameters to connect?

Something along the lines of:

"Driver={SQL

(There should be a space between 'SQL' and 'Server')
From: Jeffery Zhang
What should I put under database-type? If it's ODBC, it says error
opening shared object odbc32.so, libodbc.so, libiodbc.so, odbc32.a,
libodbc.a, libiodbc.a, odbc32.o, libodbc.o, libiodbc.o

I'm running this on Ubuntu Linux and SBCL 0.9.11. When I ASDF-INSTALLed
clsql, it said i was missing this lib and that lib. But someone before
told me that it doesn't matter since I won't be using most of those
drivers. But where would I find the odbc or ms sql drivers so clsql
would install properly?

From: Jeffery Zhang
Jeffery Zhang wrote:
> What should I put under database-type? If it's ODBC, it says error
> opening shared object odbc32.so, libodbc.so, libiodbc.so, odbc32.a,
> libodbc.a, libiodbc.a, odbc32.o, libodbc.o, libiodbc.o
>
> I'm running this on Ubuntu Linux and SBCL 0.9.11. When I ASDF-INSTALLed
> clsql, it said i was missing this lib and that lib. But someone before
> told me that it doesn't matter since I won't be using most of those
> drivers. But where would I find the odbc or ms sql drivers so clsql
> would install properly?
>
> Dominic Robinson wrote:
>> Jeffery Zhang wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone post some sample code with regard to connection strings
>>> like if I'm trying to connect to <database> on <server>, what would I
>>> pass as the parameters to connect?
>>
>> Something along the lines of:
>>
>> "Driver={SQL
>>
>> (There should be a space between 'SQL' and 'Server')

I installed unixODBC, and solved this problem. But when I try to connect
Attempt to call an undefined alien funciton
[Condition of type SB-KERNEL::UNDEFINED -ALIEN-FUNCTION-ERROR]

what does that mean?