From: ···············@yahoo.com
Subject: job advertisement
The following appeared on Yahoo Groups' common-lisp mailing list.

From:  "blakesouthwood" <··············@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 22:55:28 -0000
Subject: [Common Lisp] job for lisp programmers

We're looking for 4 lisp programmers.
You must have several years of lisp programming
experience.

25k for a 2 to 4 month project.Must sign NDA.
You may telecommute.
You must submit code to apply.
Contact Blake Southwood at ··········@gmail.com

From: Zach Beane
Subject: Re: job advertisement
···············@yahoo.com writes:

> The following appeared on Yahoo Groups' common-lisp mailing list.
>
> From:  "blakesouthwood" <··············@yahoo.com>
> Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 22:55:28 -0000
> Subject: [Common Lisp] job for lisp programmers
>
> We're looking for 4 lisp programmers.
> You must have several years of lisp programming
> experience.
>
> 25k for a 2 to 4 month project.Must sign NDA.
> You may telecommute.
> You must submit code to apply.
> Contact Blake Southwood at ··········@gmail.com

Here is some additional context:

  Name: Blake Southwood
  Email: ··········@gmail.com
  Idea: Algorithm Engine that generates 1 trillion algorithms per second
  (unique functions) on a SuperComputer. The Algorithm Engine uses
  A.I. and gets smarter with each new algorithm generated.This will work
  in tandem with a software structure viewer to manage the growing code
  base in 3D. The only way to describe this in simple terms is as the
  (MCP) Master Control Program in the Disney movie "Tron."
  Skills: Seeking HBS 2nd years and Software Engineers.

And from craigslist:

  PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU HAVE SEVERAL YEARS OF LISP PROGRAMMING
  EXPERIENCE

  We just hired the lead for this project and he has a lifetime of
  programming experience and many years in real-world lisp application
  development.

  Also include what you have done with LISP and how long it took to code
  it.  Further, explain your experience working on a team on a lisp
  project.  This is going to be for a start-up company to prove a theory
  so that we can get funding. This is to demonstrate a fraction of what
  we plan on accomplishing. If you have an extensive background in Lisp
  programming and programming in C this project would be ideal for you.
  In terms of how you're going to get paid it'll be with a cashiers
  check after the project is completed.

  We're looking for some Lisp programmers to work on a summer project
  (July and August and possibly September and October). You must at a
  bear minimum have several years of experience programming in Lisp and
  a bachelors degree in CS. You must live in the Bay Area and be able to
  show your progress for Saturday morning meetings.  You will be working
  with a team of up to 4 other Lisp programmers.  If you're currently a
  grad student that's fine.

  The project involves creating a program that learns on it's own and at
  the same time the output from the program can be tweaked and it will
  learn new fuzzy logic rules from that. Sort of like chess but
  different.  You can telecommute and we're looking for 4 Lisp
  programmers.  Your progress will be checked in person weekly.  You
  must bring your CS degrees and sample Lisp code to the interview which
  will be at Cafe Borrone in Menlo Park.

  You'll have to sign an NDA.

TRON!

Zach
From: Steven E. Harris
An ad on craigslist writes:

> at a bear minimum

Why, that sounds like a job for a Cub Scout.

--
Steven E. Harris
From: Lisper
>   Idea: Algorithm Engine that generates 1 trillion algorithms per second
>   (unique functions) on a SuperComputer. The Algorithm Engine uses
>   A.I. and gets smarter with each new algorithm generated.

It is funny. Another try to build permetum mobile. To generate
algorithm one should already have an algorithm, To replace initial
algorithm with improved version initial algorithm should contain
instructions about improved algorithm that is nonsense. Even genetic
algorithms suffer from this restriction. Algorithmic self-programmed AI
is very attractive mirage.
From: Ken Tilton
Lisper wrote:
>>  Idea: Algorithm Engine that generates 1 trillion algorithms per second
>>  (unique functions) on a SuperComputer. The Algorithm Engine uses
>>  A.I. and gets smarter with each new algorithm generated.
>

> It is funny. Another try to build permetum mobile. To generate
> algorithm one should already have an algorithm, To replace initial
> algorithm with improved version initial algorithm should contain
> instructions about improved algorithm that is nonsense.

You are forgetting, there will be trillyuns and trillyuns of these. At a
bear minimum.

I was also worried about "you will be paid with a cashier's check at the
end of the project". Cashier's check? Funny how something meant to sound
reassuring can have the opposite effect.

kt

From: Darren New
Ken Tilton wrote:
> end of the project". Cashier's check? Funny how something meant to sound
> reassuring can have the opposite effect.

I think it's more the "the end of the project" than the "cashiers check"
there. :-)   "We'll pay you cash, as soon as the machine can think!"

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     This octopus isn't tasty. Too many
From: Ken Tilton
Darren New wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>
>> end of the project". Cashier's check? Funny how something meant to
>> sound reassuring can have the opposite effect.
>

> I think it's more the "the end of the project" than the "cashiers check"
> there. :-)   "We'll pay you cash, as soon as the machine can think!"

Good point. But the project schedule says "one summer". Think they are
off just a hair? At least they know enough not to combine AI and winter.

This reminds me of the NYC cabby who accepted a fare to Chicago. When
they got there and could not find the friend who was supposed to pay the
fare he just laughed and said he should have known.

kenny