From: Foxpointe
Subject: Help needed getting started with Cells
Having heard good things about Cells, I wanted to check it out.
Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck getting started with the Cells
examples (01-Cell-basics, cell-doc, hw, and motor-control) and am
looking for pointers.  I'm running OpenMCL with the distribution from
http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/asdf-install/cells_2.0.tar.gz
and here's what I get simply loading Cells and attempting to load
01-cell-basics.lisp:

CL-USER> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :cells)
/Users/phil/.asdf-install-dir/systems/cells.asd into #<Package "ASDF343">
; registering #<SYSTEM :CELLS #x84C6066> as CELLS
NIL
CL-USER> (load
"/Users/phil/.asdf-install-dir/site/cells_2.0/doc/01-cell-basics.lisp")
0> echo time-elapsed | :NEW 1 | :OLD 0 | :OLDP T
C-STOP> stopping because ((setf md-slot-value)> cellular slot ~a of ~a
cannot be setf unless initialized as inputp ACCEL #<STONE
#x858B446>)c-break > stopping > ((setf md-slot-value)> cellular slot ~a
of ~a cannot be setf unless initialized as inputp ACCEL #<STONE #x858B446>)
0> error is | #<SIMPLE-ERROR #x85812EE>..

I get more of the same with the other examples.  Thinking that perhaps
the examples were not properly commented (grasping at straws) I then
attempted to manually (i.e. cut and paste forms in to the REPL) walk
through the examples, and have similar results (i.e. errors or results
otherwise differing from the sample docs)  Any ideas as to where I'm
going wrong?

Thanks,
Phil

From: Vagif Verdi
Subject: Re: Help needed getting started with Cells
From: Ken
Foxpointe wrote:
> Having heard good things about Cells, I wanted to check it out.
> Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck getting started with the Cells
> examples (01-Cell-basics, cell-doc, hw, and motor-control) and am
> looking for pointers.  I'm running OpenMCL with the distribution from
> http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/asdf-install/cells_2.0.tar.gz

uh-oh. That asdf-install was set up for me by someone else a while ago
and is hugely out of date. Can you just grab the current version from CVS?

    http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cells/?root=cells

Link to a tarball at the bottom of that page. And The test suite you
want to run is in the cells-test subdirectory.

btw, I do not know if it runs now under OpenMCL. Cells did a long time
ago, but the code has changed a lot since then.

kenny
From: Foxpointe
Ken wrote:
> uh-oh. That asdf-install was set up for me by someone else a while ago
> and is hugely out of date. Can you just grab the current version from CVS?
>
>    http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cells/?root=cells
>
> Link to a tarball at the bottom of that page. And The test suite you
> want to run is in the cells-test subdirectory.

Got it and so things look better... you might want to have the old
version taken down or updated as it was what I found (via this n.g. as
well as google if I recall and landed at http://www.cliki.net/Cells
which is where I found the link... didn't think to download the
common-lisp.net version as I didn't see any indication that the cliki
version was out of date.)

> btw, I do not know if it runs now under OpenMCL. Cells did a long time
> ago, but the code has changed a lot since then.

It's at least partially working as most of the cell-basics code appears
to be working as documented.  I'll work through the examples and report
back with what I experience.

Thanks,
Phil
From: Foxpointe
Foxpointe wrote:

> Got it and so things look better... you might want to have the old
> version taken down or updated as it was what I found (via this n.g. as
> well as google if I recall and landed at http://www.cliki.net/Cells
> which is where I found the link... didn't think to download the
> common-lisp.net version as I didn't see any indication that the cliki
> version was out of date.)

Uhh... it's a wiki so I updated it.  Time for bed.

Thanks,
Phil
From: Ken
Foxpointe wrote:

> Ken wrote:
>
>> uh-oh. That asdf-install was set up for me by someone else a while ago
>> and is hugely out of date. Can you just grab the current version from
>> CVS?
>>
>>    http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cells/?root=cells
>>
>> Link to a tarball at the bottom of that page. And The test suite you
>> want to run is in the cells-test subdirectory.
>>

> Got it and so things look better... you might want to have the old
> version taken down or updated as it was what I found (via this n.g. as
> well as google if I recall and landed at http://www.cliki.net/Cells
> which is where I found the link... didn't think to download the
> common-lisp.net version as I didn't see any indication that the cliki
> version was out of date.)

Yeah, I actually had that as a work task a few weeks ago. Sent an email
to the original asdf-install guy to see if he wanted to refresh all that
and forgot about it (and he never got back to me). The web page for
Cells is a wreck, too. The trouble is that I need to retrain on FTP and
SSH and HTML and yadayada every time I want to change anything, because
I just never have used that stuff. And with about one user per year, why
bother?

Currently I am doing what Lispniks should be doing in general. Instead
of worrying about sharing Cells, I am using them to build a commercial
app in a vertical niche. Watch this space for a "call for people
interested in math education", I will need a focus group soon.

>> btw, I do not know if it runs now under OpenMCL. Cells did a long time
>> ago, but the code has changed a lot since then.
>>

> It's at least partially working as most of the cell-basics code appears
> to be working as documented.  I'll work through the examples and report
> back with what I experience.

Let me know if you hit any bumps and I can help you get past them. You
might also try the Cells list in case one of the three other Cells users
is using OpenMCL.

Sorry for the annoyance. I will look at cleaning up some of that stuff.

kenny