From: Didier Verna
Subject: Lisp, Jazz, Aikido
I like Aikido because it's more than a martial art: it's a way of approaching
all martial arts. The philosophy behind Aikido applies to all aspects of life.
The Aikido community is nice and friendly, perhaps because there are few of
us, but we know we're right.

I like Jazz because it's more than a style of music: it's a way of approaching
all styles of music. The philosophy behind Jazz applies to all aspects of
life. The Jazz community is nice and friendly, perhaps because there are few
of us, but we know we're right.

I like Lisp because it's more than a programming language: it's a way of
approaching all programming languages. The philosophy behind Lisp applies to
all aspects of life. The Lisp community is nice and friendly, perhaps because
there are few of us, but we know we're right.

Actually, I believe that Aikido, Jazz and Lisp are different appearances of
the same thing.

--
Didier Verna, ······@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bic�tre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   ······@xemacs.org

From: Joe Marshall
Subject: Re: Lisp, Jazz, Aikido
Didier Verna wrote:

> Actually, I believe that Aikido, Jazz and Lisp are different appearances of
> the same thing.

Hmmm... Does Kenny Tilton resemble Steven Segal or am I just imagining
things?
From: Ken Tilton
Joe Marshall wrote:
> Didier Verna wrote:
>
>>Actually, I believe that Aikido, Jazz and Lisp are different appearances of
>>the same thing.
>

> Hmmm... Does Kenny Tilton resemble Steven Segal or am I just imagining
> things?

Only the hairline. kenny likes tai chi, would still be married to kelly
lebrock, and would shake sean connery's hand, not break it.

kt

From: Didier Verna
Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Only the hairline. kenny likes tai chi, would still be married to kelly
> lebrock, and would shake sean connery's hand, not break it.

        Tai Chi plays an important role in Aikido. For example, traditional
warming up before a practice session consists in 15' Tai Chi. That's where
you can tell the difference between those practicing Aikido the "budo" way,
and those practicing the "sports" way (shaking their body all over the place,
already tired after the warming up instead of getting into the proper
*mental* condition.

From: marc spitzer
On 2006-07-05, Joe Marshall <··········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Didier Verna wrote:
>>
>> Actually, I believe that Aikido, Jazz and Lisp are different appearances of
>> the same thing.
>
> Hmmm... Does Kenny Tilton resemble Steven Segal or am I just imagining
> things?

Well if kenny:
 1: dyed his hair
 2: grew a pony tail, small one each non braided
 3: shrunk about 4-6 inches
 4: could be quite and speak *softly*

I could begin to see the resemblence, after a few too many shots.

but thats just me.

marc

--
······@sdf.lonestar.org
From: Didier Verna
"Joe Marshall" <··········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm... Does Kenny Tilton resemble Steven Segal or am I just imagining
> things?

  ROTFL ! :-)

But more seriously, if you think that Steven Seagal is an aikidoka, you are
greatly mistaken.

From: Ken Tilton
Didier Verna wrote:
> Actually, I believe that Aikido, Jazz and Lisp are different appearances of
> the same thing.

Yes, the Tao. /Everything/ is a different appearance of the tao.

hth, kt

From: Stefan Mandl
I like

Martial Art: Judo

Music: Hard Rock / Metal (ok, some Jazz)

Programming language: Lisp

.. what does that mean in psycho-analytical terms?
From: Vagif Verdi
Stefan Mandl wrote:
> I like
>
> Martial Art: Judo
>
> Music: Hard Rock / Metal (ok, some Jazz)
>
> Programming language: Lisp
>

> .. what does that mean in psycho-analytical terms?

Actually in Japan awful lots of judo guys switch to aikido reaching
high judo rank (3-4 dan)
In fact, if you look through the ranks of accomplished aikido guys you
will see that more than half of them are ex-judo with high judo dans

So you are getting there :))
From: Didier Verna
"Vagif Verdi" <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

> high judo rank (3-4 dan)
> In fact, if you look through the ranks of accomplished aikido guys you
> will see that more than half of them are ex-judo with high judo dans

Actually, at the end of his life, the founder of Judo was already sending its
apprentices to learn Aikido, claiming that Aikido was the martial art he would
have liked to create. Morihei Ueshiba, was an expert in many martial arts when
he create Aikido, and this has influenced greeatly its "design".

From: Didier Verna
Stefan Mandl <············@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> I like
>
> Martial Art: Judo
>
> Music: Hard Rock / Metal (ok, some Jazz)
>
> Programming language: Lisp
>

> .. what does that mean in psycho-analytical terms?

I don't know. I'll ask to my XEmacs Psychotherapist... or maybe it just means
that you're 30% on the path to revelation ? :-)

From: Didier Verna
···@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote:

>   I see. Like G�del, Escher and Bach.
>
>   Maybe the aficionados of Aikido, Jazz and Lisp need the
>   self-esteem to be part of something special, of an elite?

        Not so. It's just fun when unification of apparently unrelated things
come to mind. On the other hand, I like scifi and hollywood brain-damaged
thrillers[1] and I get really bored with french
psyho-every-day-life-chronicles movies. In that, I'm totally aware of the fact
that I belong to the masses, and I have no problem with that.

But maybe you're right: maybe everybody needs to feel part of an elite at
least in a few aspects of life. I don't like "elite" because it sounds really
pejorative though. We know we're right, but people have the right to be wrong
:-)

>   Sociologist have found that the preference for a certain type
>   of music is determined by social aspects (like which other
>   people adhere to the same music) more than by the music itself.

        I was speaking as a practitionner of Lisp, Aikido and Jazz. I admit
this was obvious for Lisp and Aikido and ambiguous for Jazz since you can be
either just pure audience, or musician. I was speaking as a musician. I play
Jazz for the same reasons I program in Lisp or I practice Aikido. Also, note
that the things I like to play and the things I like to listen to do not have
to match exactly.

Footnotes:
[1]  this does not go as far as Steven Segal, though.

From: Aleksander Nabaglo
!

Didier Verna wrote(a):
> I like Aikido because it's more than a martial art: it's a way of approaching
> all martial arts. The philosophy behind Aikido applies to all aspects of life.
> The Aikido community is nice and friendly, perhaps because there are few of
> us, but we know we're right.
Chen style taijiquan.
I admire Baguazhang, but Krakow/Poland is totally
lacking of BGZ teachers.

> I like Jazz because it's more than a style of music: it's a way of approaching
> all styles of music. The philosophy behind Jazz applies to all aspects of
> life. The Jazz community is nice and friendly, perhaps because there are few
> of us, but we know we're right.
Geometry and Optics -- these are essentials of physics.

> I like Lisp because it's more than a programming language: it's a way of
> approaching all programming languages. The philosophy behind Lisp applies to
> all aspects of life. The Lisp community is nice and friendly, perhaps because
> there are few of us, but we know we're right.
Yes.

> Actually, I believe that Aikido, Jazz and Lisp are different appearances of
> the same thing.
Solutions of Dirac's equation.

.
From: Majorinc, Kazimir
In article <···············@uzeb.lrde.epita.fr>,
······@lrde.epita.fr says...

> I like Aikido because it's more than a martial art: it's a way of approaching
> all martial arts. The philosophy behind Aikido applies to all aspects of life.
> The Aikido community is nice and friendly, perhaps because there are few of
> us, but we know we're right.
>
> I like Jazz because it's more than a style of music: it's a way of approaching
> all styles of music. The philosophy behind Jazz applies to all aspects of
> life. The Jazz community is nice and friendly, perhaps because there are few
> of us, but we know we're right.
>
> I like Lisp because it's more than a programming language: it's a way of
> approaching all programming languages. The philosophy behind Lisp applies to
> all aspects of life. The Lisp community is nice and friendly, perhaps because
> there are few of us, but we know we're right.

Bit late to this, but hey, what is the philosophy behind Lisp
and how it applies on all aspects of life?
From: pTymN
> Bit late to this, but hey, what is the philosophy behind Lisp
> and how it applies on all aspects of life?

To me, being a Christian and a Lisper require similar philosophies.

I learned an interesting aspect of spiritual mechanics the other day. I
was on a roadtrip and I lost my wallet. I prayed and I got that
annoying "everything is going to be fine" feeling, without being sure
how. This time, I wanted to enjoy the day, so I chose to not worry
about my wallet, and only thought about it two instances in the day.
Sure enough, we stopped at the subway we had visited that morning and
the store owner was waiting for me with my wallet. The particular
applicable laws of the spirit world are:

- You do not need to understand the details of implementation to trust
that it works.
- The best way not to worry about something is not to think about it.

In Lisp, so many potentially "important" details are hidden from us,
and we are forced to use sluggish garbage collectors instead of blazing
fast unchecked array access and void* and so on. In actual fact, we are
better to trust that the Lisp vendor has produced a working
implementation, so that we don't have to think about those details. If
we don't think about those details, our mind is free to focus on the
problem. Lisp is the closest thing to the "Silver Bullet" that we are
going to get.

Conversely, those who insist upon control in both their life and in
their programming insist on micromanaging things which it is a mere
illusion to think one can control, or worse, is detrimental to attempt
to control.
From: Didier Verna
Majorinc, Kazimir <·······@false.email> wrote:

> In article <···············@uzeb.lrde.epita.fr>,
> ······@lrde.epita.fr says...
>>
>> I like Aikido because it's more than a martial art: it's a way of
>> approaching all martial arts. The philosophy behind Aikido applies to all
>> aspects of life. The Aikido community is nice and friendly, perhaps because
>> there are few of us, but we know we're right.
>>
>> I like Jazz because it's more than a style of music: it's a way of
>> approaching all styles of music. The philosophy behind Jazz applies to all
>> aspects of life. The Jazz community is nice and friendly, perhaps because
>> there are few of us, but we know we're right.
>>
>> I like Lisp because it's more than a programming language: it's a way of
>> approaching all programming languages. The philosophy behind Lisp applies
>> to all aspects of life. The Lisp community is nice and friendly, perhaps
>> because there are few of us, but we know we're right.
>
> Bit late to this, but hey, what is the philosophy behind Lisp
> and how it applies on all aspects of life?

        Sorry for the delay. I'm just back on usenet after a while. I'll tell
you what's my philosophy anyway, and why it applies to Lisp, Jazz and Aikido:
it's about beauty, fun and freedom.

1/ There's beauty in evolving as best as possible within a set of constraints
   or rules.
2/ There's fun, however, in breaking those rules as much as possible.
3/ The corollary being that real freedom is not to have no limit, but to know
   your limits so well that you can either evolve at will within them, or
   break them at will.

Why does this apply to Lisp ?

1/ There's beauty in writing code in any language (there's even beauty in
   writing shell code). The beauty lies in your ability to adapt your concepts
   to the constraints of the language you're using.
2/ However, Lisp allows you to break the rules of traditionnal languages
   because you can adapt the language to your concepts as much as you can
   adapt your concepts to the language. And that's fun.
3/ As a corollary, it can become so common to break the rules, that what you
   do is really pushing the limits farther away, making a rule of what was not
   before.

Why does this apply to Jazz ?

1/ There's beauty in playing a song, in any style of music. The beauty lies in
   your ability to adapt your personal musical ideas to the constraints of the
   song (the rythmic style, the pitch, the harmony etc).
2/ However, Jazz (specifically improvisation) allows you to break this, by
   playing "out", both rythmically and harmonically, in the best case with the
   other musicians following you. That way, you're adapting the tune to your
   musical concepts as much as you're adapting your playing to the tune. And
   that's HUGE fun.
3/ As a corollary, it has become so common to break established musical rules
   in Jazz, that new rules actually emerge, that were considered errors
   before. For instance, when Miles Davis started to play an E on a C- or the
   other way around (mixing major and minor harmony), or simply began his
   electric period, some people wanted to burn the heretic alive. Now, all of
   this is well known, and you can learn actual techniques for playing "out"
   in schools.

Why does this apply to Aikido ?

1/ There's beauty in practicing any martial art (as long that it has not
   become just sports). The beauty lies in executing the techniques that
   define your martial art perfectly.
2/ However, Aikido lets you break this, because the techniques are less
   important than what's behind (the budo, the kokyu). Aikido contains ideas
   and techniques from many different disciplines (ranging from Judo to Kendo)
   because at some point, Morihei Ueshiba (the founder) felt that technique,
   wherever it came from, was just a tool to go further (knowing and
   controlling oneself to deepest extent). For that reason, Aikido is still
   living: techniques might very well evolve, disappear or emerge. The initial
   rules can be broken and it's fun.
3/ As a corollary, 7th or 8th dan Aikido masters are so far away beyond
   techniques that you can't see them anymore in their practice. The
   techniques are gone. All that's left is a "purified" state. They don't even
   have to touch their partner anymore. That's where the kokyu lies: the art
   of fighting without fighting. Because when you face one of these masters,
   you can feel that the battle is lost before it has even begun.

OK, I could write pages about this, but I'm supposed to be working there :-)

(plug :mode 'shameless
      :contents "BTW, check out my signature below. The coverart of my CD was
made with the Gimp, which uses a dialect of Scheme, so you see I'm not
completely off topic ;-)")

Bye !

--
Check out my new jazz CD on http://www.didierverna.com/ !

Didier Verna	EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
             	94276 Le Kremlin-Bic�tre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22
From: Rob Thorpe
Didier Verna wrote:
> [...]
>    because at some point, Morihei Ueshiba (the founder) felt that technique,
>    wherever it came from, was just a tool to go further (knowing and
>    controlling oneself to deepest extent). For that reason, Aikido is still
>    living: techniques might very well evolve, disappear or emerge. The initial
>    rules can be broken and it's fun.
> 3/ As a corollary, 7th or 8th dan Aikido masters are so far away beyond
>    techniques that you can't see them anymore in their practice. The
>    techniques are gone. All that's left is a "purified" state. They don't even
>    have to touch their partner anymore. That's where the kokyu lies: the art
>    of fighting without fighting. Because when you face one of these masters,
>    you can feel that the battle is lost before it has even begun.
>

> OK, I could write pages about this, but I'm supposed to be working there :-)

Interesting, I can see a few fairly obvious similiarities that you
haven't touched on:-

* All are minority interests within their field.  Lisp has a small
place in programming, Jazz a relatively small place in music, Aikido a
relatively small place in martial arts.
* As a result, many people associated with these things are
enthusiastic amateurs. Only a few are professionals and few companies
are involved.
* All of these things are difficult compared to more majority
interests.  Jazz is harder to play than Blues and most Rock.  Aikido
has more technique than the martial arts made from kicking and punching
even if it requires less fitness, and probably less injuries. Lisp is
more difficult to learn than C even if easier to use to solve hard
problems.
* Some of these things seem to, erm, collect geeks.  When I lived in
Cambridge (UK) I visited an Aikido class.  By looking at the class I
would judge that the languages I had in common with them were at least
English and C.  Jazz seems to collect intelligent disaffected youth
more than geeks, but there isn't that much difference.

Lastly, more subtely, those things have a common criticism/commentary,
they make different things looks the same.  Because of the parentheses
in lisp everything is expressed in a uniform way, for me this is no
problem but some don't like it.  Similarly in Jazz there are a great
many tunes that sound to me almost the same.  Even though I enjoy
listening to it I can't discriminate between it much, most of it sounds
like ~5 fairly relaxing chords to me and that's about it.  For the one
evening I tried Aikido people showed me lots of moves that seemed to be
all basically the same to me.  So, I assume people who like all these
things are good at discriminating between things that are apparently
very similar.