From: Giacecco
Subject: All sort of problems setting up SBCL on Mac OS
Dear all,
first of all I ask you to forgive me if this newsgroup is not the best
place to request for your help. Being my questions centred around SBCL
I have looked for something specific, but its official web site is very
poor of information.

I have chosen SBCL because I am studying Lisp from Peter Seibel's book
"Practical Common Lisp". It defines it as "a high-quality open-source
implementation" which sounds as a good recommendation. I usually work
on a PowerPC MacOS 10.4.7 machine, but I may also need to run my stuff
on Windows/Cygwin PCs, so I did not want to choose a platform specific
implementation, as OpenMCL.

Then, installing SBCL, the first choice has naturally been going via
fink (Mac OS' apt-get, to make it simple for who doesn't know). The
most recent SBCL package is 0.9.0, more than one year older than the
most recent, 0.9.14! I gave it a go, but as soon as I was unsuccessful
in installing Slime (something that went straight forward using CLISP
yesterday) I got doubtful about its reliability.

I then used fink's 0.9.0 to compile 0.9.14 from source. Everything
appeared to be fine, I removed the old SBLC and run the new one's
regression tests, that were supposed to be supported (PowerPC Darwin,
from what I understand, is covered) but failed this way:

---
(...)
Finished running tests.
 Expected failure:    float.pure.lisp / (ADDITION-OVERFLOW BUG-372)
 Expected failure:    external-format.impure.lisp /
(CHARACTER-DECODE-LARGE
                                                     FORCE-END-OF-FILE)
 Expected failure:    external-format.impure.lisp / (FILE-POSITION
UTF-8)
 Unhandled error      run-program.impure.lisp
test failed, expected 104 return code, got 1
---

I initially thought that I could ignore that :-) but then I felt
uncomfortable and wanted to find a different solution. I then went for
the official binary distribution, followed the instructions, and as
soon as I launched install.sh (as root of course) I got:

install.sh: line 72: ./sbcl-pwd.sh: No such file or directory

The file actually does not exist. In the meantime my system got dirty
of pieces od SBCL partly installed.

Is it just me or I should abandon the SBCL idea and stick to fink's
good ol' CLISP 2.32 (latest is 2.38)? Apart from being perhaps the most
ported, it seems it does not have many estimators. What would you do?

Thank you in advance,

Giacecco

From: Juho Snellman
Subject: Re: All sort of problems setting up SBCL on Mac OS
Giacecco <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> SBCL package is 0.9.0, more than one year older than the
> most recent, 0.9.14! I gave it a go, but as soon as I was unsuccessful
> in installing Slime (something that went straight forward using CLISP
> yesterday) I got doubtful about its reliability.

Yes, in general you should use SBCL and Slime versions of roughly the
same vintage.

>  Unhandled error      run-program.impure.lisp

Reporting this failure on the sbcl-devel mailing list (along with the
output of "sh run-tests.sh run-program.impure.lisp") would be
appreciated.

Installing from the binaries is unlikely to make any sort of
difference regarding this test failure. But it's also unlikely to be
a very serious problem.

> install.sh: line 72: ./sbcl-pwd.sh: No such file or directory

That was a new file in 0.9.14, and the script used for creating the
binaries wasn't updated to include it. Apparently whoever did the OS
X/ppc binaries didn't get the memo about using the newer version of
the script. You can either copy that file from the source
distribution, or just install the version you built from source.

--
Juho Snellman
From: Giacecco
Dear all, thank you for your support. I found a solution and I think it
is useful to describe it here for who will come after me.

The first idea that brought me on the right path came observing the
compatibility table you find at
http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/platform-table.html . While the latest
source code distribution is 0.9.14, I realised that the PowerPC binary
that was distributed was 0.9.13 : certainly that meant that someone got
through the compilation of that.

Compiling 0.9.13 was then my target. As I did yesterday, I used fink's
0.9.0 binary for compilation. Everything was fine from there on.

I then tried using fink's Slime into emacs, but it didn't work. I
remembered about Juho's advice, removed fink's Slime and looked for a
more recent distribution, as recent was sbcl, and it worked :-)

A minor problem was compiling SBCL's documentation: fink's Tex package
("tetex") does not include texi2pdf, so the documentation compilation
script failed (it seems to be a known problem). By the way: does
anybody have an easy solution to this?

Giacecco
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2006-07-05 17:00:58 -0400, "Giacecco" <········@gmail.com> said:

> By the way: does
> anybody have an easy solution to this?

Not absolutely certain, but I think that among the many things TeXShop
dowloads and installs is texi2pdf - leastways its on my system and I
think I got it by installing TeXShop:

<http://www.uoregon.edu/%7Ekoch/texshop/obtaining.html>
From: Giacecco
I installed from TexShop but I was still missing texi2pdf, and
uninstalled it. Uninstalled also tetex, that I was not using anyway. I
found then that texi2pdf can be installed via fink as part of the
installation of the "ptex-base" package.

So, I fixed the missing texi2pdf issue, and I now have another. While
making the documentation, the error I get is:

---
Giaceccos-Computer:/usr/local/src/sbcl-0.9.13/doc/manual giacecco$ sudo
make
Password:
texi2dvi -I "docstrings/" -I ../../contrib/ sbcl.texinfo
This is e-TeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
 file:line:error style messages enabled.
entering extended mode
(/usr/local/src/sbcl-0.9.13/doc/manual/sbcl.texinfo
(/sw/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/texinfo.tex
headings,
tables, conditionals, indexing, sectioning, toc, environments, defuns,
macros,
cross references, (/sw/share/texmf/tex/generic/misc/epsf.tex)
localization,
and turning on texinfo input format.) (./sbcl.aux)
(./variables.texinfo)
[1] [2] (./sbcl.toc
./sbcl.toc:1: Undefined control sequence
./sbcl.toc:2: Undefined control sequence
[... and so on until toc.100 ...]
(That makes 100 errors; please try again.)
Output written on sbcl.dvi (2 pages, 964 bytes).
Transcript written on sbcl.log.
/sw/bin/texi2dvi: etex exited with bad status, quitting.
/sw/bin/texi2dvi: see sbcl.log for errors.
make: *** [sbcl.dvi] Error 1
rm sbcl.dvi
Giaceccos-Computer:/usr/local/src/sbcl-0.9.13/doc/manual giacecco$
---

The contents of the sbcl.log file are, for every toc, as in the
following

---
./sbcl.toc:85: Undefined control sequence
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.
---

I'm starting getting tired! :-(

Giacecco
From: Ivan Boldyrev
On 9527 day of my life ········@gmail.com wrote:
> I found then that texi2pdf can be installed via fink as part of the
> installation of the "ptex-base" package.
>
> So, I fixed the missing texi2pdf issue, and I now have another. While
> making the documentation, the error I get is:

> I'm starting getting tired! :-(

AFAIK, ptex is not real TeX; it understands only subset of TeX.  Get
real TeX and real texi2pdf.  Or do not build documentation.

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                       Perl is a language where 2 x 2 is not equal to 4.
From: Patrick May
"Giacecco" <········@gmail.com> writes:
> Then, installing SBCL, the first choice has naturally been going via
> fink (Mac OS' apt-get, to make it simple for who doesn't know).
[ . . . ]
> Is it just me or I should abandon the SBCL idea and stick to fink's
> good ol' CLISP 2.32 (latest is 2.38)? Apart from being perhaps the most
> ported, it seems it does not have many estimators. What would you do?

     I downloaded sbcl-0.9.14-powerpc-darwin-binary.tar.bz2,
uncompressed and untarred it, ran the install script, and everything
worked.

Regards,

Patrick

S P Engineering, Inc.  | The experts in large scale distributed OO
          ···@spe.com  | (C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, middleware, SOA)