From: ················@gmail.com
Subject: Problem getting SLIME to work on Fedora
Guys,

I am trying to get up and running with LISP on my Linux box, but I am
having problems getting SLIME to work.

I have installed CLISP, and have emacs installed.  Then I added

(add-to-list 'load-path "/home/sodonnel/slime-1.2.1")
(require 'slime)
(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (slime-mode t)))
(add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (inferior-slime-mode t)))
(setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp")
;(setq common-lisp-hyperspec-root "file:///usr/share/doc/hyperspec/")

To my .emacs file.

In emacs I run M-x slime and get an error like this:-

*** - READ: input stream
       #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER

#P"/home/sodonnel/.slime/fasl/clisp-2.38-unix-pc386/swank-clisp.fas"
         @408>
      ends within a token after multiple escape character
The following restarts are available:
SKIP           :R1      skip (COMPILE-FILES-IF-NEEDED-SERIALLY #)
STOP           :R2      stop loading file
/home/sodonnel/slime-1.2.1/swank-load\
er.lisp
ABORT          :R3      ABORT
Break 1 SWANK-BACKEND[2]>

Can anyone offer any suggestion on how to get this going?

Thanks,

Stephen.

From: GB
Subject: Re: Problem getting SLIME to work on Fedora
················@gmail.com wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I am trying to get up and running with LISP on my Linux box, but I am
> having problems getting SLIME to work.
>
> I have installed CLISP, and have emacs installed.  Then I added
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/sodonnel/slime-1.2.1")
> (require 'slime)
> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (slime-mode t)))
> (add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (inferior-slime-mode t)))
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp")
> ;(setq common-lisp-hyperspec-root "file:///usr/share/doc/hyperspec/")

I'm not running Fedora (I'm running clisp/emacs/slime on Windows XP),
but to get clisp 2.38 running with slime, I had to upgrade slime to the
version from CVS. The released version 1.2.1 does not work properly with it.

The only thing I have in my .emacs related to this is

(setq inferior-lisp-program "c:/clisp-2.38/clisp.exe")
(add-to-list 'load-path "c:/slime/")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

Gregg
From: ················@gmail.com
GB wrote:

> ················@gmail.com wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > I am trying to get up and running with LISP on my Linux box, but I am
> > having problems getting SLIME to work.
> >
> > I have installed CLISP, and have emacs installed.  Then I added
> >
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/sodonnel/slime-1.2.1")
> > (require 'slime)
> > (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (slime-mode t)))
> > (add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (inferior-slime-mode t)))
> > (setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp")
> > ;(setq common-lisp-hyperspec-root "file:///usr/share/doc/hyperspec/")
> >

> I'm not running Fedora (I'm running clisp/emacs/slime on Windows XP),
> but to get clisp 2.38 running with slime, I had to upgrade slime to the
> version from CVS. The released version 1.2.1 does not work properly with it.
>
> The only thing I have in my .emacs related to this is
>
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "c:/clisp-2.38/clisp.exe")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "c:/slime/")
> (require 'slime)
> (slime-setup)
>
> Gregg

Thanks for the suggestions - I got it to work in the end (after posting
a message on the Slime Dev mailing list).

As you stated version 1.2.1 does not work with CLISP.  After getting
the CVS version, it still wouldn't work, but it turns out I just needed
to remove the .slime folder in my home directory, as it contained
partially compiled files that were created by the 1.2.1 version.

So simple when you know how!
From: ··········@gmail.com
You might want to check out the Fedora Lisp yum repository,
http://www.fedoralisp.org/. It packages slime and SBCL (and some other
stuff) but slime works for me with CLISP too (and CMUCL as well.)