From: arnuld
Subject: about SICP
hai everyobody,

                       i am a newbie. i posted a topic 7 -1 0 days ago
and got lots of responses. that was quite an encouraging thing. after
studying seriously and carefully all those responses i decided to learn
scheme.

1.) may you tell me if SICP teaches scheme language  ?

2.) if SICP does not teach scheme but abstractions only, then which
book for a person who is not a programmer but possesses a knowledge
scheme from HtDP ("how to design programs" @htdp.org) ?

3.) is there any book for scheme like "Peter Norvig's Paradigms of AI:
case studies in common lisp" . anything else like case studies or
something showing a walk-through of the real-life projects in scheme
(in other words important enough to spend money).

thanks in advance

"arnuld"

From: Luís Oliveira
Subject: Re: about SICP
"arnuld" <·······@gmail.com> writes:
> 1.) may you tell me if SICP teaches scheme language  ?
[...]
> 2.) if SICP does not teach scheme but abstractions only, then which
[...]
> 3.) is there any book for scheme like "Peter Norvig's Paradigms of AI:
[...]

Though you'll probably get useful answers here, I suggest you try
comp.lang.scheme.

--
Luís Oliveira
luismbo (@) gmail (.) com
From: arnuld
i have also posted it there

bad part is that when i posted my previuos question on both newsgroups
( i told you this in the beginning of my post) i got only 1 response at
comp.lang.scheme but for the same question i got 11 responses within 5
days and now 24 in total with thought provoking responses but still
only one at comp.lang.scheme.also PLT scheme mailing list provided
From: Kenny Tilton
arnuld wrote:
> i have also posted it there
>
> bad part is that when i posted my previuos question on both newsgroups
> ( i told you this in the beginning of my post) i got only 1 response at
> comp.lang.scheme but for the same question i got 11 responses within 5
> days and now 24 in total with thought provoking responses but still
> only one at comp.lang.scheme.also PLT scheme mailing list provided

That is Scheme for you, always so minimalist.

:)

kenny
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"arnuld" <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> hai everyobody,
>
>                        i am a newbie. i posted a topic 7 -1 0 days ago
> and got lots of responses. that was quite an encouraging thing. after
> studying seriously and carefully all those responses i decided to learn
> scheme.
>
> 1.) may you tell me if SICP teaches scheme language  ?

Not specifically.  But you'll learn some scheme as a side effect :-)
Anyway, I recommend SICP.

> 2.) if SICP does not teach scheme but abstractions only, then which
> book for a person who is not a programmer but possesses a knowledge
> scheme from HtDP ("how to design programs" @htdp.org) ?

If you read HtDP and SICP, then you only need to read R5RS and the SRFIs.

http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS

> 3.) is there any book for scheme like "Peter Norvig's Paradigms of AI:
> case studies in common lisp" . anything else like case studies or
> something showing a walk-through of the real-life projects in scheme
> (in other words important enough to spend money).

No, AFAIK, but you can take PAIP and do the exercises in scheme as
well as in Common Lisp.  You can know the superficial differences of
both language and be able to translate simple programs (ie, programs
that don't use esoteric features of the language) easily from one
language to the other.  (This could even be done for the most common
stuff as a set of macros to run directly one into the other.)

If you feel you'd be able to read an algorithm in C and write the
corresponding program in Pascal, or vice-versa, then you can read an
algorithm written in Common Lisp and write the corresponding program
in Scheme, and vice-versa.

The world will now reboot.  don't bother saving your artefacts.
From: justinhj
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> "arnuld" <·······@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > hai everyobody,
> >
> >                        i am a newbie. i posted a topic 7 -1 0 days ago
> > and got lots of responses. that was quite an encouraging thing. after
> > studying seriously and carefully all those responses i decided to learn
> > scheme.
> >
> > 1.) may you tell me if SICP teaches scheme language  ?
>
> Not specifically.  But you'll learn some scheme as a side effect :-)
> Anyway, I recommend SICP.
>

> > 2.) if SICP does not teach scheme but abstractions only, then which
> > book for a person who is not a programmer but possesses a knowledge
> > scheme from HtDP ("how to design programs" @htdp.org) ?
>
> If you read HtDP and SICP, then you only need to read R5RS and the SRFIs.
>
> http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS
>

> > 3.) is there any book for scheme like "Peter Norvig's Paradigms of AI:
> > case studies in common lisp" . anything else like case studies or
> > something showing a walk-through of the real-life projects in scheme
> > (in other words important enough to spend money).
>
> No, AFAIK, but you can take PAIP and do the exercises in scheme as
> well as in Common Lisp.  You can know the superficial differences of
> both language and be able to translate simple programs (ie, programs
> that don't use esoteric features of the language) easily from one
> language to the other.  (This could even be done for the most common
> stuff as a set of macros to run directly one into the other.)
>

> If you feel you'd be able to read an algorithm in C and write the
> corresponding program in Pascal, or vice-versa, then you can read an
> algorithm written in Common Lisp and write the corresponding program
> in Scheme, and vice-versa.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
>
> The world will now reboot.  don't bother saving your artefacts.

I'd echo what Pascal said. In fact I learned lisp whilst reading sicp,
and did most of the examples in common lisp. I made a macro that
converts define in scheme to defun in lisp, as that was the major
difference. I needed to define 'else' as t as well.  Since sicp uses a
very minimal set of scheme that got me through everything I wanted to
do.

Justin
From: Arie van Wingerden
arnuld schreef:
> hai everyobody,
>
>                        i am a newbie. i posted a topic 7 -1 0 days ago
> and got lots of responses. that was quite an encouraging thing. after
> studying seriously and carefully all those responses i decided to learn
> scheme.
>
> 1.) may you tell me if SICP teaches scheme language  ?
>
> 2.) if SICP does not teach scheme but abstractions only, then which
> book for a person who is not a programmer but possesses a knowledge
> scheme from HtDP ("how to design programs" @htdp.org) ?
>
> 3.) is there any book for scheme like "Peter Norvig's Paradigms of AI:
> case studies in common lisp" . anything else like case studies or
> something showing a walk-through of the real-life projects in scheme
> (in other words important enough to spend money).
>
> thanks in advance
>
> "arnuld"

try these:
	1. http://www.htus.org/