From: Sam Steingold
Subject: GNU CLISP 2.38 (2006-01-24) released
ANSI Common Lisp is a high-level, general-purpose programming language.
GNU CLISP is a Common Lisp implementation by Bruno Haible of Karlsruhe
University and Michael Stoll of Munich University, both in Germany.
It mostly supports the Lisp described in the ANSI Common Lisp standard.
It runs on most GNU and Unix systems (GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
Solaris, Tru64, HP-UX, BeOS, NeXTstep, IRIX, AIX and others) and on
other systems (Windows NT/2000/XP, Windows 95/98/ME) and needs only
4 MB of RAM.
It is Free Software and may be distributed under the terms of GNU GPL,
while it is possible to distribute commercial proprietary applications
compiled with GNU CLISP.
The user interface comes in English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch,
Russian and Danish, and can be changed at run time.
GNU CLISP includes an interpreter, a compiler, a debugger, CLOS, MOP,
a foreign language interface, sockets, i18n, fast bignums and more.
An X11 interface is available through CLX, Garnet, CLUE/CLIO.
GNU CLISP runs Maxima, ACL2 and many other Common Lisp packages.

More information at
  <http://clisp.cons.org/>,
  <http://www.clisp.org/>,
  <http://www.gnu.org/software/clisp/> and
  <http://clisp.sourceforge.net/>.
Sources and selected binaries are available by anonymous ftp from
  <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/clisp/>
and its mirrors.

2.38 (2006-01-24)
=================

User visible changes
--------------------

* SAVEINITMEM can create standalone executables.
  Thanks to Frank Buß <··@frank-buss.de> for the idea.
  SAVEINITMEM also accepts :NORC argument do disable RC-file loading.
  See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/image.html> for details.

* POSIX:SYSLOG no longer recognizes "%m" and other formatting instructions.
  For your safety and security, please do all formatting in Lisp.

* Fixed the OPEN :IF-EXISTS :APPEND bug introduced in 2.37.

* Fixed a crash on woe32 in opening files with names longer than MAX_PATH.

* Module berkeley-db now supports Berkeley DB 4.4.

http://truepeace.org http://www.camera.org http://www.palestinefacts.org
http://www.mideasttruth.com http://www.memri.org http://ffii.org
UNIX is as friendly to you as you are to it. Windows is hostile no matter what.

From: Bill Atkins
Subject: Re: GNU CLISP 2.38 (2006-01-24) released
Sam Steingold <···@gnu.org> writes:

> ANSI Common Lisp is a high-level, general-purpose programming language.
> GNU CLISP is a Common Lisp implementation by Bruno Haible of Karlsruhe
> University and Michael Stoll of Munich University, both in Germany.
> It mostly supports the Lisp described in the ANSI Common Lisp standard.
> It runs on most GNU and Unix systems (GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
> Solaris, Tru64, HP-UX, BeOS, NeXTstep, IRIX, AIX and others) and on
> other systems (Windows NT/2000/XP, Windows 95/98/ME) and needs only
> 4 MB of RAM.
> It is Free Software and may be distributed under the terms of GNU GPL,
> while it is possible to distribute commercial proprietary applications
> compiled with GNU CLISP.
> The user interface comes in English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch,
> Russian and Danish, and can be changed at run time.
> GNU CLISP includes an interpreter, a compiler, a debugger, CLOS, MOP,
> a foreign language interface, sockets, i18n, fast bignums and more.
> An X11 interface is available through CLX, Garnet, CLUE/CLIO.
> GNU CLISP runs Maxima, ACL2 and many other Common Lisp packages.
>
> More information at
>   <http://clisp.cons.org/>,
>   <http://www.clisp.org/>,
>   <http://www.gnu.org/software/clisp/> and
>   <http://clisp.sourceforge.net/>.
> Sources and selected binaries are available by anonymous ftp from
>   <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/clisp/>
> and its mirrors.
>
> 2.38 (2006-01-24)
> =================
>
> User visible changes
> --------------------
>
> * SAVEINITMEM can create standalone executables.
>   Thanks to Frank Bu� <··@frank-buss.de> for the idea.
>   SAVEINITMEM also accepts :NORC argument do disable RC-file loading.
>   See <http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/image.html> for details.

Can you make these executables on any platform Clisp runs on?  Also,
can they be built to include external libraries, like Ltk?

> * POSIX:SYSLOG no longer recognizes "%m" and other formatting instructions.
>   For your safety and security, please do all formatting in Lisp.
>
> * Fixed the OPEN :IF-EXISTS :APPEND bug introduced in 2.37.
>
> * Fixed a crash on woe32 in opening files with names longer than MAX_PATH.
>
> * Module berkeley-db now supports Berkeley DB 4.4.
>

> --
> Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running w2k
> http://truepeace.org http://www.camera.org http://www.palestinefacts.org
> http://www.mideasttruth.com http://www.memri.org http://ffii.org
> UNIX is as friendly to you as you are to it. Windows is hostile no matter what.

--

Bill Atkins
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:45:12 -0500, Bill Atkins <············@rpi.edu>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Can you make these executables on any platform Clisp runs on?  Also,
>can they be built to include external libraries, like Ltk?

Ltk is fine, the only problem I have is that when the app starts the
focus is on CLISP console window instead of *tk* window. I tried
(focus *tk*), but it doesn't quite work.

AFAIK, libraries using CFFI may not work properly with this method.

--
|(except for ending slavery,  ||mail: grue at mail.ru ================ |
|   fascism and communism)    ||============= http://grue3.tripod.com  |
From: Peter Herth
Timofei Shatrov wrote:

> Ltk is fine, the only problem I have is that when the app starts the
> focus is on CLISP console window instead of *tk* window. I tried
> (focus *tk*), but it doesn't quite work.

A (raise *tk*) cannot hurt, but what you probably want to do is
(force-focus *tk*)

HTH

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/
From: Joerg Hoehle
····@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) writes:

> AFAIK, libraries using CFFI may not work properly with this method.
Why?

Wouldn't using cffi:load-foreign-library from within the each new
session be enough for a typical home user (i.e. single machine,
constant path to shared ilbrary)?

Regards,
	Jorg Hohle
Telekom/T-Systems Technology Center
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:37:35 -0500, Sam Steingold <···@gnu.org> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>2.38 (2006-01-24)
>=================

Wow, I just tested it and it really produces .exes :) The site still
shows that the newest version is 2.37, hopefully it will be updated
soon.

I also like to give an advice to people who are using Lispbox and want
to update to a new version. It is very easy. Download new CLISP and
unpack it into Lispbox directory. Suppose directory
path_to_lispbox"/clisp-2.37 contains old CLISP and
path_to_lispbox/clisp-2.38 contains new one. Copy file
path_to_lispbox/clisp-2.37/lispbox-register.el into
path_to_lispbox/clisp-2.38. Now edit the copy: instead of

(slime-register-lisp-implementation
  "clisp-2.37"

there should be

(slime-register-lisp-implementation
  "clisp-2.38"

The next time you start SLIME, new CLISP would be used. You don't even
need to delete old CLISP, because SLIME automatically decides which
version is better.

From: Kaz Kylheku
Timofei Shatrov wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:37:35 -0500, Sam Steingold <···@gnu.org> tried to
> confuse everyone with this message:
>

> >2.38 (2006-01-24)
> >=================
>
> Wow, I just tested it and it really produces .exes :)

I haven't looked at this yet. Are the CLISP binary and memory image
combined into one file? That should be doable. On ELF, the lispinit.mem
could be in some special section of the executable file rather than in
a separate file. On Windows, there are tricks you can probably do too,
like maybe NTFS forks or whatever.

Ah, never mind, I see there is a

  int loadmem_from_executable(void);

/* load the memory image from the currently running executable
  return 0 on success
     and 1 on error (when the executable does not contain a memory
image) */

Cool. :)
From: Sam Steingold
> * Timofei Shatrov <····@znvy.eh> [2006-01-24 21:40:54 +0000]:
>
> The site still shows that the newest version is 2.37, hopefully it
> will be updated soon.

it is auto-updated nightly.
http://www.gnu.org/software/clisp/ is updated more often.

> I also like to give an advice to people who are using Lispbox and want
> to update to a new version. It is very easy. Download new CLISP and
> unpack it into Lispbox directory. Suppose directory
> path_to_lispbox"/clisp-2.37 contains old CLISP and
> path_to_lispbox/clisp-2.38 contains new one. Copy file
> path_to_lispbox/clisp-2.37/lispbox-register.el into
> path_to_lispbox/clisp-2.38. Now edit the copy: instead of
>
> (slime-register-lisp-implementation
>   "clisp-2.37"
>
> there should be
>
> (slime-register-lisp-implementation
>   "clisp-2.38"
>
> The next time you start SLIME, new CLISP would be used. You don't even
> need to delete old CLISP, because SLIME automatically decides which
> version is better.
>
> --
> |WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING|,----- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue---------.
> |(except for ending slavery,  ||mail: grue at mail.ru ================ |
> |   fascism and communism)    ||============= http://grue3.tripod.com  |
> |...and Saddam's dictatorship |`----------------------------------[4*72]

http://www.savegushkatif.org http://www.palestinefacts.org
http://www.camera.org http://www.memri.org http://www.honestreporting.com
186,000 Miles per Second.  It's not just a good idea.  IT'S THE LAW.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
····@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) writes:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:37:35 -0500, Sam Steingold <···@gnu.org> tried to
> confuse everyone with this message:
>
> >2.38 (2006-01-24)
> >=================
>
> Wow, I just tested it and it really produces .exes :)

I guess everyone noticed all at the same time how OpenMCL does it :-)

(There was a patch sent to sbcl-devel this last month that uses the
 same technique for producing executable cores)

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: ks
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:40:54 GMT, ····@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov)
wrote:

>I also like to give an advice to people who are using Lispbox and want
>to update to a new version. It is very easy. Download new CLISP and
>unpack it into Lispbox directory. Suppose directory
>path_to_lispbox"/clisp-2.37 contains old CLISP and
>path_to_lispbox/clisp-2.38 contains new one. Copy file
>path_to_lispbox/clisp-2.37/lispbox-register.el into
>path_to_lispbox/clisp-2.38. Now edit the copy: instead of
>
>(slime-register-lisp-implementation
>  "clisp-2.37"
>
>there should be
>
>(slime-register-lisp-implementation
>  "clisp-2.38"
>
>The next time you start SLIME, new CLISP would be used. You don't even
>need to delete old CLISP, because SLIME automatically decides which
>version is better.

Noob question (quite possibly stupid) -- I am trying to update a
recent install of clisp 2.33 (common-lisp.net version of
lispbox/win32) to clisp 2.38.  There is no "lispbox-register.el" in
this installation.

I have edited the /lispbox/clisp/runClisp.bat file to point to 2.38
(unpacked into the same directory as 2.33) and upon starting emacs, I
get the following:

*** - LOAD: A file with name E:\LispBox\CLISP 2.38\asdf does not exist

Can someone suggest how to proceed from here?  I'm not really up to
speed on ASDF yet.
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:23:34 -0700, ks <·····@reqst.net> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>I have edited the /lispbox/clisp/runClisp.bat file to point to 2.38
>(unpacked into the same directory as 2.33) and upon starting emacs, I
>get the following:
>
>*** - LOAD: A file with name E:\LispBox\CLISP 2.38\asdf does not exist
>
>Can someone suggest how to proceed from here?  I'm not really up to
>speed on ASDF yet.

You probably need to copy "asdf.lisp" (it must be somewhere) to
e:\lispbox\clisp 2.38\. Failing that, you can always download the latest
Lispbox with CLISP 2.37 and update it.

From: pj
From: Tony
"pj" <···@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The --version returns only 2.37 though.  (In Win32).
> I noticed because slime was creating fasl files under wrong folder.

I had to delete the old 2.37 directory to force Lispbox to pick up 2.38.

Tony
Melbourne, Australia