From: Peter Seibel
Subject: PCL in the Jolt Awards finals!
Another sign of the Lisp resurgence: Practical Common Lisp has been
named a finalist in the technical book category of the Jolt Product
Excellence and Productivity Awards![1] Yipeee! World domination, here we
come.

-Peter

[1] <http://www.prnewswire.com/news/index_mail.shtml?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-20-2006/0004264613&EDATE>

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: William Bland
Subject: Re: PCL in the Jolt Awards finals!
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:06:35 +0000, Peter Seibel wrote:

> Another sign of the Lisp resurgence: Practical Common Lisp has been
> named a finalist in the technical book category of the Jolt Product
> Excellence and Productivity Awards!

Fantastic news!  Congrats Peter.

Best wishes,
	Bill.
From: bradb
Well done, Peter!!

Brad
From: Kenny Tilton
bradb wrote:
> Well done, Peter!!

Hey, my name is on the cover, too. And the monkeys are.. well, we have
them in a 24-hour lockdown, nuff said.

kenny

ps. Congrats, Peter. :)
From: Giorgos Keramidas
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 03:28:45 GMT,
Kenny Tilton <·············@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> bradb wrote:
>> Well done, Peter!!
>
> Hey, my name is on the cover, too. And the monkeys are.. well, we have
> them in a 24-hour lockdown, nuff said.

Hehe.  Yep.  When I picked up the book at Border's and I saw your name
in the cover, I though "Hey, I know who this guy is" :)))

> ps. Congrats, Peter. :)

Seconded.
From: tichy
Peter Seibel wrote:
> Another sign of the Lisp resurgence: Practical Common Lisp has been
> named a finalist in the technical book category of the Jolt Product
> Excellence and Productivity Awards![1] Yipeee! World domination, here we
> come.
>
> -Peter
>
> [1] <http://www.prnewswire.com/news/index_mail.shtml?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-20-2006/0004264613&EDATE>

Congratulations! :)

Regards, Szymon.
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:06:35 GMT, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:

> Practical Common Lisp has been named a finalist in the technical
> book category of the Jolt Product Excellence and Productivity
> Awards!

Hi Peter!

Great!  Congratulations!

BTW, I just noticed that one can now download your book as a PDF from
Apress' website.  Do you know why they're doing that?  It has always
been available from your website (in HTML form), but it was my
impression that Apress was originally opposed to distributing it for
free.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Peter Seibel
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> BTW, I just noticed that one can now download your book as a PDF
> from Apress' website. Do you know why they're doing that? It has
> always been available from your website (in HTML form), but it was
> my impression that Apress was originally opposed to distributing it
> for free.

I had no idea they were doing that. They may have decided that since
it was already on the web, putting up the PDF wouldn't make anything
any worse. Whatever.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Coby Beck
"Peter Seibel" <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote in message
···················@gigamonkeys.com...
> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:
>
>> BTW, I just noticed that one can now download your book as a PDF
>> from Apress' website. Do you know why they're doing that? It has
>> always been available from your website (in HTML form), but it was
>> my impression that Apress was originally opposed to distributing it
>> for free.
>
> I had no idea they were doing that. They may have decided that since
> it was already on the web, putting up the PDF wouldn't make anything
> any worse. Whatever.

pdf's are too easy to print.  It is better if it is only in HTML.

--
Coby Beck
From: verec
On 2006-01-22 04:12:27 +0000, "Coby Beck" <·····@mercury.bc.ca> said:

> "Peter Seibel" <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote in message
> ···················@gigamonkeys.com...
>> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:
>>
>>> BTW, I just noticed that one can now download your book as a PDF
>>> from Apress' website. Do you know why they're doing that? It has
>>> always been available from your website (in HTML form), but it was
>>> my impression that Apress was originally opposed to distributing it
>>> for free.
>>
>> I had no idea they were doing that. They may have decided that since
>> it was already on the web, putting up the PDF wouldn't make anything
>> any worse. Whatever.
>
> pdf's are too easy to print.  It is better if it is only in HTML.

Reddit published a link to:
http://textbookrevolution.org/computers-tech/free-programming-books-from-apress

that links to the Apress site afer mentionning the title of
all the pdf available ... that is, all except for PCL!
--
JFB
From: Paolo Amoroso
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:

> Another sign of the Lisp resurgence: Practical Common Lisp has been
> named a finalist in the technical book category of the Jolt Product
> Excellence and Productivity Awards![1] Yipeee! World domination, here we
> come.
[...]
> [1] <http://www.prnewswire.com/news/index_mail.shtml?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-20-2006/0004264613&EDATE>

Way to go!

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: Emre Sevinc

    PS> Another sign of the Lisp resurgence: Practical Common Lisp has
    PS> been named a finalist in the technical book category of the
    PS> Jolt Product Excellence and Productivity Awards![1] Yipeee!
    PS> World domination, here we come.

    PS> -Peter

    PS> [1]
    PS> <http://www.prnewswire.com/news/index_mail.shtml?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-20-2006/0004264613&EDATE>

Congratulations!

Now, I think the time has come to start writing drafts of PCL vol. 2 ;-)
(subtitle: Common Lisp Cookbook (the printed one) or
subtitle: Lisp Tips & Tricks & Hacks & [insert some words here
that you see in the titles of popular O'Reilly books]).

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr
From: Peter Seibel
Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:

> Congratulations!
>
> Now, I think the time has come to start writing drafts of PCL vol. 2
> ;-) (subtitle: Common Lisp Cookbook (the printed one) or subtitle:
> Lisp Tips & Tricks & Hacks & [insert some words here that you see in
> the titles of popular O'Reilly books]).

Nah, if I do a vol 2 the title clearly has to be:

  _More Practical Common Lisp_

However, I'm not quite in a position to go without income for another
two years so vol 2 will have to wait until I've socked away a bit in
the ol' bank account for a rainy day.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: verec
On 2006-01-21 21:12:50 +0000, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> said:

> Nah, if I do a vol 2 the title clearly has to be:
>
>   _More Practical Common Lisp_

I can't wait for the title of volume 3 ...

:-)
--
JFB
From: Peter Seibel
verec <·····@mac.com> writes:

> On 2006-01-21 21:12:50 +0000, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> said:
>
>> Nah, if I do a vol 2 the title clearly has to be:
>>   _More Practical Common Lisp_
>
> I can't wait for the title of volume 3 ...

I think by that point people will understand that Common Lisp is an
eminently practical language (as it will have taken over the world) so
then I'll be able to venture out into:

  _Impractical Common Lisp_

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Dan Corkill
>>I can't wait for the title of volume 3 ...
>

> I think by that point people will understand that Common Lisp is an
> eminently practical language (as it will have taken over the world) so
> then I'll be able to venture out into:
>
>   _Impractical Common Lisp_

I think I'll hold out for your *Esoteric Common Lisp* volume... ;-)
From: Kenny Tilton
Peter Seibel wrote:
> verec <·····@mac.com> writes:
>

>>On 2006-01-21 21:12:50 +0000, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> said:
>>

>>>Nah, if I do a vol 2 the title clearly has to be:
>>>  _More Practical Common Lisp_
>>
>>I can't wait for the title of volume 3 ...
>

> I think by that point people will understand that Common Lisp is an
> eminently practical language (as it will have taken over the world) so
> then I'll be able to venture out into:
>
>   _Impractical Common Lisp_

No, by that time you will have managed to build Cells and...

:)

kenny
From: Edi Weitz
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:12:50 GMT, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:

> Nah, if I do a vol 2 the title clearly has to be:
>
>   _More Practical Common Lisp_

And then vol 3 will be

    _The Return of the Son of Practical Common Lisp_

Yeah, go for it!

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Julian Stecklina
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:12:50 GMT, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
>
>> Nah, if I do a vol 2 the title clearly has to be:
>>
>>   _More Practical Common Lisp_
>
> And then vol 3 will be
>
>     _The Return of the Son of Practical Common Lisp_

Common Lisp: Revolutions ?

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

"I object to doing things that computers can do." - Olin Shivers
From: Eli Gottlieb
Julian Stecklina wrote:
> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:
>

>>On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:12:50 GMT, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Nah, if I do a vol 2 the title clearly has to be:
>>>
>>>  _More Practical Common Lisp_
>>
>>And then vol 3 will be
>>
>>    _The Return of the Son of Practical Common Lisp_
>

> Common Lisp: Revolutions ?
>
> Regards,
Let's just keep the second volume "More Practical Common Lisp", though.
  I think "Common Lisp: Reloaded" would be a jinxed title.
From: ·········@gmail.com
From: Ed Symanzik
Eli Gottlieb wrote:

> Let's just keep the second volume "More Practical Common Lisp", though.
>  I think "Common Lisp: Reloaded" would be a jinxed title.

Nah.  "Common Lisp: Re-cursed" would be jinxed.  ;-)
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Julian Stecklina wrote:
> Common Lisp: Revolutions ?

.fasl reloaded.

--
The problems of the real world are primarily those you are left with
when you refuse to apply their effective solutions.
From: lin8080
Julian Stecklina schrieb:
> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:
> > On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:12:50 GMT, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:

> >>   _More Practical Common Lisp_

> >     _The Return of the Son of Practical Common Lisp_

> Common Lisp: Revolutions ?

Nice for today, but in 10 years? Remember, (...(.)) is an old worm.

open-next (
road to ()
() crossover
(format-me)
(structures)
System Lisp
global name space (GNS)
... but Lisp
programmers secrets
between a ()  or  inside a ()

something else
stefan
From: Larry Clapp
On 2006-01-21, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
> Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:
>> Congratulations!

Congrats from here, too, Peter!

>> Now, I think the time has come to start writing drafts of PCL vol.
>> 2 ;-) (subtitle: Common Lisp Cookbook (the printed one) or
>> subtitle: Lisp Tips & Tricks & Hacks & [insert some words here that
>> you see in the titles of popular O'Reilly books]).
>
> Nah, if I do a vol 2 the title clearly has to be:
>
>   _More Practical Common Lisp_

When we[1] get to the point where we have a useful, portable graphics
library and executable maker[2], you can then write _ImPractical
Common Lisp_, or maybe _Previously Impractical Common Lisp_, or even
_(Previously Im)Practical Common Lisp_.  :)

-- L

[1] http://www.lispniks.com/cl-gardeners
[2] Yes I know, both those things exist, in various Lisps.  But hey,
anything for a laugh.  ;)
From: Peter Herth
Larry Clapp wrote:

> When we[1] get to the point where we have a useful, portable graphics
> library

But we got that already! :)

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/
From: LuisGLopez
Peter Herth ha escrito:

> Larry Clapp wrote:
>

> > When we[1] get to the point where we have a useful, portable graphics
> > library
>
> But we got that already! :)

And an *excellente* one, let me add... :)

Luis.
From: Peter Herth
LuisGLopez wrote:
> Peter Herth ha escrito:
>

>>Larry Clapp wrote:
>>

>>>When we[1] get to the point where we have a useful, portable graphics
>>>library
>>
>>But we got that already! :)
>>

> And an *excellente* one, let me add... :)
>
> Luis.

Thanks :)

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/
From: ·············@gmail.com
Peter Seibel wrote:
> However, I'm not quite in a position to go without income for another
> two years so vol 2 will have to wait until I've socked away a bit in
> the ol' bank account for a rainy day.

Is the ALU in a position to act as a donation point for funding lisp
advocacy?  Do they at least have a 501c3 registration?  It's not
unheard of for language communities to fund sabbaticals . . .
From: Peter Seibel
··············@gmail.com" <·············@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>> However, I'm not quite in a position to go without income for another
>> two years so vol 2 will have to wait until I've socked away a bit in
>> the ol' bank account for a rainy day.
>
> Is the ALU in a position to act as a donation point for funding lisp
> advocacy? Do they at least have a 501c3 registration? It's not
> unheard of for language communities to fund sabbaticals . . .

Heh. Anyway, the ALU is indeed a 501c3:

  <http://www.alu.org/admin/Alu-inc.txt>

If you want to approach us (I'm on the board) about helping funding
anything Lisp related, I'm sure we'd be all ears. Me especially if the
thing you want to fund is time for me to write another book. ;-)

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: ···············@yahoo.com
Power Tools.  (O'Reilly's Unix Power Tools is a great book.  Everything
you've ever wanted to do with Unix, in bite-size pieces and grouped by
task.)