From: Panos C. Lekkas
Subject: Common Lisp version of Scheme code in CS book
I was asked the question by someone and I did not know the answer. Can
anyone help by elucidating the actual situation?

Oliver Grillmeyer has written a nice book "Exploring Computer Science with
Scheme". In his preface he alluded to the fact that he had all the code also
available in Common Lisp for a potential new edition in the future. I am not
aware of a newer edition, but I was wondering if there is somewhere a
website of his where he may have posted the Common Lisp version of the
book's code (which was published in Scheme).

I thought it would be a very commendable way to help evangelize Common Lisp
in an early academic environment.

By the way, this is not meant to be a Scheme vs. Common Lisp flaming thread.
We all have our respective opinions on the subject on both sides of the
aisle.

Thanks.

Panos C. Lekkas

From: Eli Gottlieb
Subject: Re: Common Lisp version of Scheme code in CS book
Panos C. Lekkas wrote:
> I was asked the question by someone and I did not know the answer. Can
> anyone help by elucidating the actual situation?
>
> Oliver Grillmeyer has written a nice book "Exploring Computer Science with
> Scheme". In his preface he alluded to the fact that he had all the code also
> available in Common Lisp for a potential new edition in the future. I am not
> aware of a newer edition, but I was wondering if there is somewhere a
> website of his where he may have posted the Common Lisp version of the
> book's code (which was published in Scheme).
>
> I thought it would be a very commendable way to help evangelize Common Lisp
> in an early academic environment.
>
> By the way, this is not meant to be a Scheme vs. Common Lisp flaming thread.
> We all have our respective opinions on the subject on both sides of the
> aisle.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Panos C. Lekkas

Common Lisp is hairy and for writing real programs.  Scheme is for teaching.

Common Lisp:Scheme::C:Pascal

Of course, given that Pascal is now a Real Language Scheme can probably
be used for real programs if you put the effort in.
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Eli Gottlieb wrote:
> Common Lisp is hairy and for writing real programs.  Scheme is for
> teaching.

Not necessarily.  Common Lisp certainly is a mature and complex but
powerful language and has many features that aren't (at least not by
standard) available in Scheme.

Scheme is *good* for teaching, but I also see it as as experimental or
research language.  It seems there is research being done on macro
systems, or on partial evaluation in Scheme.  The PLT team uses it to
experiment with OO, modularity and other features for Software
Engineering.  I'm sure there's more.

Scheme's simplicity also makes it more interesting in an embedded
context than Lisp I think.

> Common Lisp:Scheme::C:Pascal
>
> Of course, given that Pascal is now a Real Language Scheme can probably
> be used for real programs if you put the effort in.

I think so, even though I prefer Lisp a bit.  Scheme has many
interesting implementations with interesting features.

--
The problems of the real world are primarily those you are left with
when you refuse to apply their effective solutions.