From: Jonathon McKitrick
Subject: How to balance parentheses in SLIME??
Suppose you go into a function, add/remove some stuff, and need to
close the parens on a sexp.  I *know* there has to be a function for
this.  Alt-n-( is close, but it requires I count the sexp's to be
enclosed.  Is there some kind of short cut to do this?

From: Scott Bell
Subject: Re: How to balance parentheses in SLIME??
If I understand it correctly, you're looking for
slime-close-parens-at-point, which on my system is mapped to C-c C-q.

You might want to also try either paredit.el or at least
(show-paren-mode t) to make your life with parentheses smoother.

- Scott
From: Thomas F. Burdick

"Scott Bell" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> If I understand it correctly, you're looking for
> slime-close-parens-at-point, which on my system is mapped to C-c C-q.
>
> You might want to also try either paredit.el or at least
> (show-paren-mode t) to make your life with parentheses smoother.

In addition to slime-close-parens-at-point, you might be interested in
slime-reindent-defun (C-c M-q), which reindents the current defun,
adding closing parens as needed.  It very quickly lets you know if you
have a mismatch between your parens and indentation.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Suppose you go into a function, add/remove some stuff, and need to
> close the parens on a sexp.

You don't. ;)

Try paredit mode: http://mumble.net/~campbell/emacs/paredit.el

The only catch is that you can't simply delete or move whole
sub-s-exprs.  You have to mark them and cut/paste (but mark is
re-mark-ably easy).

--
the bottom line is that a JavaSchool that won't teach C and won't teach
Scheme is not really teaching computer science, either.  --  Joel Spolsky
From: Ivan Boldyrev
On 9354 day of my life Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:
> Try paredit mode: http://mumble.net/~campbell/emacs/paredit.el
>
> The only catch is that you can't simply delete or move whole
> sub-s-exprs.  You have to mark them and cut/paste (but mark is
> re-mark-ably easy).

M-S  C-M-k       ; kills all subexpressions after the point

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                                   Violets are red
                                   Roses are blue
                                   It's amazing what DNA splicing can do.
From: Pascal Costanza
Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Suppose you go into a function, add/remove some stuff, and need to
> close the parens on a sexp.  I *know* there has to be a function for
> this.  Alt-n-( is close, but it requires I count the sexp's to be
> enclosed.  Is there some kind of short cut to do this?

Try to learn the key combinations described at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/41c58160793f2c83

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net