From: Peter Seibel
Subject: New Windows/CLISP Lispbox available.
I just put up a new Windows CLISP Lisbpbox based on CLISP 2.37 and the
latest-n-greatest SLIME. You can download it from:

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/>

If you do take it out for a spin, let me know how it works out. This
one should Just Work--after you unpack the .zip, run lispbox.bat in
the top level directory (lispbox-0.7) and you should be off to the
races.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: GB
Subject: Re: New Windows/CLISP Lispbox available.
Peter Seibel wrote:
> I just put up a new Windows CLISP Lisbpbox based on CLISP 2.37 and the
> latest-n-greatest SLIME. You can download it from:
>
>   <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/>
>
> If you do take it out for a spin, let me know how it works out. This
> one should Just Work--after you unpack the .zip, run lispbox.bat in
> the top level directory (lispbox-0.7) and you should be off to the
> races.
>
> -Peter

Is this expected behavior:

At the CL-USER> prompt, type an erroneous expression, like

    CL-USER> blah

and then in the backtrace window, type 3 to select ABORT. The prompt
does not return, and pressing [ENTER] results in a "pipelined request"
message. I don't think the Linux version does this.

Gregg
From: Peter Seibel
GB <··@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>> I just put up a new Windows CLISP Lisbpbox based on CLISP 2.37 and the
>> latest-n-greatest SLIME. You can download it from:
>>   <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/>
>> If you do take it out for a spin, let me know how it works out. This
>> one should Just Work--after you unpack the .zip, run lispbox.bat in
>> the top level directory (lispbox-0.7) and you should be off to the
>> races.
>> -Peter
>>

> Is this expected behavior:
>
> At the CL-USER> prompt, type an erroneous expression, like
>
>     CL-USER> blah
>
> and then in the backtrace window, type 3 to select ABORT. The prompt
> does not return, and pressing [ENTER] results in a "pipelined request"
> message. I don't think the Linux version does this.

Is that the "ABORT all the way out of this Lisp process" restart? What
happens if you hit "q" in the debugger instead of "3"?

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Foo
Peter Seibel escribi�:
> GB <··@invalid.invalid> writes:
>

>>Peter Seibel wrote:
>>
>>>I just put up a new Windows CLISP Lisbpbox based on CLISP 2.37 and the
>>>latest-n-greatest SLIME. You can download it from:
>>>  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/>
>>>If you do take it out for a spin, let me know how it works out. This
>>>one should Just Work--after you unpack the .zip, run lispbox.bat in
>>>the top level directory (lispbox-0.7) and you should be off to the
>>>races.
>>>-Peter
>>>

>>Is this expected behavior:
>>
>>At the CL-USER> prompt, type an erroneous expression, like
>>
>>    CL-USER> blah
>>
>>and then in the backtrace window, type 3 to select ABORT. The prompt
>>does not return, and pressing [ENTER] results in a "pipelined request"
>>message. I don't think the Linux version does this.
>

> Is that the "ABORT all the way out of this Lisp process" restart? What
> happens if you hit "q" in the debugger instead of "3"?
>
> -Peter

As of January 17th, it's not possible to download. I've got a Not Found
message.

Has something to do with the common-lip.net migration?
From: Peter Seibel
Foo <······@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel escribi�:
>> GB <··@invalid.invalid> writes:

>>>Is this expected behavior:
>>>
>>>At the CL-USER> prompt, type an erroneous expression, like
>>>
>>>    CL-USER> blah
>>>
>>>and then in the backtrace window, type 3 to select ABORT. The prompt
>>>does not return, and pressing [ENTER] results in a "pipelined request"
>>>message. I don't think the Linux version does this.
>> Is that the "ABORT all the way out of this Lisp process" restart?
>> What
>> happens if you hit "q" in the debugger instead of "3"?
>> -Peter
>>
> As of January 17th, it's not possible to download. I've got a Not
> Found message.
>
> Has something to do with the common-lip.net migration?

Yes. But it should be fixed now.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 03:45:02 -0500, GB <··@invalid.invalid> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>Peter Seibel wrote:
>> I just put up a new Windows CLISP Lisbpbox based on CLISP 2.37 and the
>> latest-n-greatest SLIME. You can download it from:
>>
>>   <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/>
>>
>> If you do take it out for a spin, let me know how it works out. This
>> one should Just Work--after you unpack the .zip, run lispbox.bat in
>> the top level directory (lispbox-0.7) and you should be off to the
>> races.
>>
>> -Peter
>>

>Is this expected behavior:
>
>At the CL-USER> prompt, type an erroneous expression, like
>
>    CL-USER> blah
>
>and then in the backtrace window, type 3 to select ABORT. The prompt
>does not return, and pressing [ENTER] results in a "pipelined request"
>message. I don't think the Linux version does this.

You should choose 2nd option. Abort breaks connection with clisp.

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru  http://grue3.tripod.com |
|  k  ||  PWNZ J00   || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
From: Joseph Frippiat
I unpacked it on Windows XP Pro SP2 and it ran just "out of the box".
I like the improvements for the "restarts" messages :-) .

Thanks,

Joseph
From: Peter Seibel
Joseph Frippiat <··········@kst.be> writes:

> I unpacked it on Windows XP Pro SP2 and it ran just "out of the box".
> I like the improvements for the "restarts" messages :-) .

So credit for that goes to the industrious SLIME hackers. I just
package it all up. Glad it worked for you.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 06:43:18 GMT, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>I just put up a new Windows CLISP Lisbpbox based on CLISP 2.37 and the
>latest-n-greatest SLIME. You can download it from:
>
>  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/>
>
>If you do take it out for a spin, let me know how it works out. This
>one should Just Work--after you unpack the .zip, run lispbox.bat in
>the top level directory (lispbox-0.7) and you should be off to the
>races.

Hmm... I'm not sure dropping Lispbox without emacs support is a good
thing. Emacs is quite a big download, and last time I checked it was
quite old Emacs. I wanted to download this version, to test how it works
on Win98 and incidentally update my CLISP, but the prospect of
downloading 20MB Emacs distribution one more time was enough to stop me
from doing that.

From: Michael
On 2006-01-11, Timofei Shatrov <····@mail.ru> wrote:
>  Hmm... I'm not sure dropping Lispbox without emacs support is a good
>  thing. Emacs is quite a big download, and last time I checked it was
>  quite old Emacs. I wanted to download this version, to test how it works
>  on Win98 and incidentally update my CLISP, but the prospect of
>  downloading 20MB Emacs distribution one more time was enough to stop me
>  from doing that.

I don't know if the objection is money or time, but if the objection is
time you can always use "sleeper-net".

That's where you start the download before you go to bed and wake up to
see your new file :)

Michael
From: Peter Seibel
····@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) writes:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 06:43:18 GMT, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com>
> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>
>>I just put up a new Windows CLISP Lisbpbox based on CLISP 2.37 and the
>>latest-n-greatest SLIME. You can download it from:
>>
>>  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/>
>>
>>If you do take it out for a spin, let me know how it works out. This
>>one should Just Work--after you unpack the .zip, run lispbox.bat in
>>the top level directory (lispbox-0.7) and you should be off to the
>>races.
>>

> Hmm... I'm not sure dropping Lispbox without emacs support is a good
> thing. Emacs is quite a big download, and last time I checked it was
> quite old Emacs. I wanted to download this version, to test how it
> works on Win98 and incidentally update my CLISP, but the prospect of
> downloading 20MB Emacs distribution one more time was enough to stop
> me from doing that.

Yeah. But I realized that the point of Lispboox was to allow folks who
really didn't want to deal with understanding Emacs just to use Lisp
to get going. If you know enough to use the no-Emacs Lispbox you're
99% of the way there to being able to install the latest SLIME (from
CVS) and a Lisp of your choosing into your existing Emacs
installation.

Anyway, by making it easier for me to make Lispbox distros it
increases the chances that I'll update them more often. That said, if
you want to maintain a no-Emacs Lispbox, I'll be happy to send you the
source I use which probably even still has support for building it.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: funkyj
(tangent
I'm an experience emacs user and I tried slime a few weeks ago with
emacs 21.3 and cygwin clisp 2.35.  After spending 30 minutes I gave up
and went back to the inferior-lisp mode that ships with emacs.

since then I downloaded ilisp and gave that a try.  probably the
biggest win for me in switching from inferior-lisp to ilisp is the
hyperspec-lookup and cltl2-lookup functionality.

I was a bit shocked that ilisp didn't include an CL version of
eval-last-sexp.  I had gotten quite use to doing C-x C-e in
inferior-lisp mode.

I don't really care for the automatic bells and whistles like popping
up a separate frame with function argument help so I turned this ilisp
feature off.  I imagine having this sort of thing for code I've written
(and therefore isn't documented in CLHS) might be nice but only on
demand and not bound to the space key.

OK, ignoring the fact that I'm still only writing toy programs and
don't really need a powerful IDE, what advantages does SLIME have over
ILISP and vice versa?

I'll start off: ILISP pretty much worked when I downloaded and
installed it.  SLIME didn't.  10 -- love.

(tangent
I have, in the past,  configured complex emacs packages like GNUS, VM
and BBDB but I've discovered in my most recent attempt to use GNUS to
read email from a POP server that I am much less willing to spend hours
slogging through mediocre documentation and source code to get things
working.  While I still like programming I pretty much HATE installing
software.))

  --jfc
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:44:38 +0100, funkyj <······@gmail.com> wrote:

> (tangent
> I have, in the past,  configured complex emacs packages like GNUS, VM
> and BBDB but I've discovered in my most recent attempt to use GNUS to
> read email from a POP server that I am much less willing to spend hours
> slogging through mediocre documentation and source code to get things
> working.  While I still like programming I pretty much HATE installing
> software.))
>
>   --jfc

You might try lisp-in-a-box from Peter's website.
This should have most of the junk set up for you.
www.gigamonkeys.com/book or something

From: Joerg Hoehle
"funkyj" <······@gmail.com> writes:
> OK, ignoring the fact that I'm still only writing toy programs and
> don't really need a powerful IDE, what advantages does SLIME have over
> ILISP and vice versa?
Boy, you may be the only one in the universe to prefer ILISP over SLIME.

> I'll start off: ILISP pretty much worked when I downloaded and
> installed it.  SLIME didn't.  10 -- love.
Granted.

	Jorg Hohle
Telekom/T-Systems Technology Center
From: funkyj
Joerg Hoehle wrote:

> Boy, you may be the only one in the universe to prefer ILISP over SLIME.

It wasn't so much prefering ILISP over SLIME as prefering something
that worked out of the box vs something that didn't.

I have since given another 30 minutes to wrestling with the SLIME
install and this time I appear to have won.  Here is the trap I finally
overcame:

(1) download the 1.2.1 and gave it a try with cygwin clisp 2.35.
    it failed.
(2) followed the "get the latest from CVS" advice.  That failed.
(3) tried "get the FAIRLY-STABLE" tagged version.  That failed.

I went back to the CVS HEAD version did one extra step and voila, it
worked.  Can you guess what that extra step was?

page down for the answer

Apparently you need to delete the "~/.slime/" directory if you change
versions of slime.

It would be nice if slime/emacs could notice that I'm getting ALL my
slime files (.lisp and .el) from a different directory than last time
and either blow away the old .slime/ directory or perhaps ask me if I
want to do this.

Alternatively, slime.info, PROBLEMS or README might mention this.

What pushed me to give SLIME a try again was that I had a problem with
ILISP and when I went looking for the ILISP community it looked like it
has been dead since 2002 or 2003 :^).

Cheers,
  --jfc
From: lin8080
Peter Seibel schrieb:

> I just put up a new Windows CLISP Lisbpbox based on CLISP 2.37 and the
> latest-n-greatest SLIME. You can download it from:

Well. Thank you. Here are some pionts:

Download with 56k modem: 1:33, 27MB
  Biggest part is emacs. So make it smaller.
    Remove menuebar/tools/games
      (this is windows, the game-station perse,
       not boring users with stupied 1980 games)
    Modifey menuebar/tools/compile...
      (emacs still may think, "make" is availiblle)
    Remove latex docus in etc/... and elsewhere (also *.ps,...)
    Remove debian-stuff (other linux-specific removes possible)
    In c:\lispbox\emacs\lisp there are some removes possible
      (ie: calendar, who needs that when one wants slime?)
    Is c:\lispbox-0.7\emacs-21.3
       c:\lispbox-0.7\slime-20060110
    a "nice" windowslike namecreation?
      (think about 8.3 name convention)
  There is no autoupdate,
    open menuebar/File/Open Directory...
    let it open and extract HyperSpec to c:\lispbox-0.7
    can that be done? (not tested that with files from code-session)
  Where is "eval buffer"?
  The microsoft-way to copy&paste is crtl-c and ctrl-v, hmmm...
  Customize color-scheme - oh dear, but yes, study all the readme files.
    (all beginns with GNU Licence, guess there is 70% to remove, oups*)
      No import from scite possible? (dont find that)
  Emacs opens nice, but I use 1024x768 resolution and
    emacs one-line-output-buffer is behind the windows taskline.

Idea: since emacs is only there to enable slime, through away all from
emacs, that is not necessary to support slime, maybe use a very old
emacs (i mean 16MB-version), to bring down emacs for windows under 10MB.
The future will be: slime adds more MBs, clisp adds more MBs, at least
emacs mutate to openoffice 3b-32.07, eh?

uhh.
Well. What I get from 27MB is not as good as what I have with 12MB. So I
like to promisse, never toutch emacs on a windows. But yes,
syntax-highlight works great.

And again, thanks to all who worked on that.
  But, as you know, far is the way to the horizont.

stefan
(removing some bytes)