From: Jonathon McKitrick
Subject: How to bid on Lisp project (again, and for real this time)
It's looking very possible that I might be able to use Lisp on my new
web project.

We are importing data into mysql and generating pdf reports including
graphs.  It's not a high-traffic site, so the guts will be an ajax web
app that sets up the queries to produce the reports.

I started with php, and can continue that way if I have to.  But I
finally got Lisp working with CLSQL, and would most definitely prefer
that route.  Since the libraries I need are pretty simple (just xml,
ajax, pdf) php doesn't offer much.  Except maintainability by someone
other than me.

The big question here is how to bid on a Lisp project.  I have no idea
how to tell how many hours it will take and how much to charge.
Actually, I could gestimate the hours, but I'm not sure how accurate it
would be, and how much I should charge per hour.

Any thoughts?
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Subject: [OT] Duplicate usenet posts
What's the matter today with Usenet (all the groups I looked into)?  All
the duplicate posts today I looked at where written with some Mozilla,
so it can't really be the fault of somebody like Google Groups.

Did anybody mess with NNTP, so that it now accepts posts it already
knows?  *just wondering*

--
the bottom line is that a JavaSchool that won't teach C and won't teach
Scheme is not really teaching computer science, either.  --  Joel Spolsky