From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Need help interpreting this
I took a nap while working on my C-to-Lisp translator. I dreamt Paul
Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout. I asked him why
he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his preference for minimalism
manifested in the design papers on Arc. I think he said "performance",
but the juke box drowned him out. Then he went off duty, so I could not
get confirmation, or ask him why performance would matter given Web
latency, or how he ended up as our new bartender.

Thoughts?

kenny

From: Charles Richmond
Subject: Re: Need help interpreting this
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> I took a nap while working on my C-to-Lisp translator. I dreamt Paul
> Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout. I asked him why
> he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his preference for minimalism
> manifested in the design papers on Arc. I think he said "performance",
> but the juke box drowned him out. Then he went off duty, so I could not
> get confirmation, or ask him why performance would matter given Web
> latency, or how he ended up as our new bartender.
>
> Thoughts?

Probably the regular bartender was on vacation...

|   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |
From: Kenny Tilton
Charles Richmond wrote:
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>>I took a nap while working on my C-to-Lisp translator. I dreamt Paul
>>Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout. I asked him why
>>he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his preference for minimalism
>>manifested in the design papers on Arc. I think he said "performance",
>>but the juke box drowned him out. Then he went off duty, so I could not
>>get confirmation, or ask him why performance would matter given Web
>>latency, or how he ended up as our new bartender.
>>
>>Thoughts?
>>

> Probably the regular bartender was on vacation...

That helps.

I should have added that I am tired of programming and have been
considering bartending school. And I almost wrote to Paul and asked him
why he did not use Scheme. I decided it was too much of a troll.

kenny
From: Geoffrey Summerhayes
"Kenny Tilton" <·············@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message ························@news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com...

> I should have added that I am tired of programming and have been considering bartending school. And I almost wrote to Paul and
> asked him why he did not use Scheme. I decided it was too much of a troll.

Ouch! I just had a vision of Kenny as Charles Laughton running around
the top of the Cathedral yelling ... (it's too damn obvious to finish)

---
Geoff
From: Sean Sieger
Kenny Tilton <·············@nyc.rr.com> writes:

I told your dream to the Emacs Psychiatrist and this is how it
responded:

   I took a nap while working on my C-to-Lisp translator. I dreamt Paul
   Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout. I asked him why
   he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his preference for minimalism
   manifested in the design papers on Arc.

You have an overwhelming task at hand, do you wish that it was more
limited in scope?

   I think he said "performance", but the juke box drowned him out.

What buoys you? Music?

   Then he went off duty, so I could not
   get confirmation, or ask him why performance would matter given Web
   latency, or how he ended up as our new bartender.

You can integrate all of what Paul is to you, can't you? Integrate
into your work all of Paul that is in you? He's there, just write.

   Thoughts?

The best material comes as consciousness diminishes ...
From: Joe Marshall
I told Kenny's dream to Emacs as well, but I chose M-x yow.

  > I dreamt Paul Graham was the new day bartender at my regular
hangout.
  You were s'posed to laugh!

  > I asked him why he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his
preference for minimalism manifested in the design papers on Arc.
  I'm shaving!!  I'M SHAVING!!

  > I think he said "performance", but the juke box drowned him out.
  Your CHEEKS sit like twin NECTARINES above a MOUTH that knows no
BOUNDS --

  > Then he went off duty, so I could not get confirmation, or ask him
why performance would matter given Web latency, or how he ended up as
our new bartender.
  Do I hear th' SPINNING of various WHIRRING, ROUND, and WARM
WHIRLOMATICS?!

  > Thoughts?
  America!!  I saw it all!!  Vomiting!  Waving!  JERRY FALWELLING into
your void tube of UHF oblivion!!  SAFEWAY of the mind --
From: John Thingstad

Ever done a psycoanalize-pinhead?

From: Joe Marshall
From: drewc
I decided to tell kenny's dream to minion on #lisp.

It had some problems finding his dreams on cliki (which i can relate
to), but did have some great insight into the scheme question :)

<drewc>  I dreamt Paul Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout.
<minion> I dreamt Paul Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout:
	 I can't be expected to work when CLiki doesn't respond to me, can I?
<drewc> I asked him why he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his
	preference for minimalism manifested in the design papers on Arc.
<minion> scheme is the root of all evil
<drewc> I think he said "performance", but the juke box drowned him out.
<minion> Would you /please/ stop playing with me? 3 messages in 48 seconds is
	 too many.
<drewc> Then he went off duty, so I could not get confirmation, or ask him why
	performance would matter given Web latency, or how he ended up as our
	new bartender.
<minion> Then he went off duty, so I could not get confirmation, or ask him
	 why performance would matter given Web latency, or how he ended up as
	 our new bartender: I can't be expected to work when CLiki doesn't
	 respond to me, can I?
<drewc> Thoughts?
<minion> Sorry, I couldn't find anything in the database for ``Thoughts''.

--
drewc at tech dot coop
From: Kenny Tilton
Sean Sieger wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <·············@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>
> I told your dream to the Emacs Psychiatrist and this is how it
> responded:
>
>    I took a nap while working on my C-to-Lisp translator. I dreamt Paul
>    Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout. I asked him why
>    he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his preference for minimalism
>    manifested in the design papers on Arc.
>
> You have an overwhelming task at hand, do you wish that it was more
> limited in scope?

I have limited it. I am writing a c2lisp translator. Besides, Kenny does
not undertake anything that would overwhelm him.

>    I think he said "performance", but the juke box drowned him out.
>
> What buoys you? Music?

drown... buoy... I like it!

>    Then he went off duty, so I could not
>    get confirmation, or ask him why performance would matter given Web
>    latency, or how he ended up as our new bartender.
>
> You can integrate all of what Paul is to you, can't you? Integrate
> into your work all of Paul that is in you? He's there, just write.

He once told me my RoboCup players should follow a simple rule: stay
between the ball and the goal. I said that that would leave them all in
a line between the ball and the goal. Of course, a straight line is easy
to integrate.

>    Thoughts?
>
> The best material comes as consciousness diminishes ...

(hiccup!) Agreed.

kenny
From: Eli Gottlieb
Kenny Tilton wrote:
> I took a nap while working on my C-to-Lisp translator. I dreamt Paul
> Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout. I asked him why
> he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his preference for minimalism
> manifested in the design papers on Arc. I think he said "performance",
> but the juke box drowned him out. Then he went off duty, so I could not
> get confirmation, or ask him why performance would matter given Web
> latency, or how he ended up as our new bartender.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> kenny
A startup company lies in your future.  Good luck!
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Kenny Tilton <·············@nyc.rr.com> writes:

> I took a nap while working on my C-to-Lisp translator. I dreamt Paul
> Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout. I asked him
> why he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his preference for
> minimalism manifested in the design papers on Arc. I think he said
> "performance", but the juke box drowned him out. Then he went off
> duty, so I could not get confirmation, or ask him why performance
> would matter given Web latency, or how he ended up as our new
> bartender.
>
> Thoughts?

Man that's a geeky dream :-)

I thought _On Lisp_ made it pretty clear that Scheme had gone in
entirely the wrong direction for him.

The web is a CS professor's dream: the network really does have a
tendancy to make constant factors go away, in favor of big-O
complexity.

A friend of mine went to bartending school, and is now a part-time
biologist, and part-time bartender.  He finds it a fulfilling
combination, and I have to say it does sound pretty tempting.

IMO, a real Lisper of a bartender ought to have part of his job
automated.  I'd imagine that the lego robotics kit and XS could be
used to make a Martini-bot, which would be the coolest thing ever.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Kenny Tilton
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <·············@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>I took a nap while working on my C-to-Lisp translator. I dreamt Paul
>>Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout. I asked him
>>why he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his preference for
>>minimalism manifested in the design papers on Arc. I think he said
>>"performance", but the juke box drowned him out. Then he went off
>>duty, so I could not get confirmation, or ask him why performance
>>would matter given Web latency, or how he ended up as our new
>>bartender.
>>
>>Thoughts?
>

> Man that's a geeky dream :-)

Yeah, I am programming again, having a ball translating C to Lisp. Just
a rough pass to avoid a /lot/ of tedious and bug-inducing manual
translation.

> I thought _On Lisp_ made it pretty clear that Scheme had gone in
> entirely the wrong direction for him.

Where? What? Obviously macros (and you have me thinking that was the
answer in the woken world), but where do you see "entirely the wrong
direction"?

kt
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Kenny Tilton <·············@nyc.rr.com> writes:

> Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
>
> > I thought _On Lisp_ made it pretty clear that Scheme had gone in
> > entirely the wrong direction for him.
>
> Where? What? Obviously macros (and you have me thinking that was the
> answer in the woken world), but where do you see "entirely the wrong
> direction"?

He doesn't come out and say as much, but that was the message I got
from the book.  Macros, yes.  And a whole chapter on reader-macros.
He even goes so far as to discuss -- like it's perfectly normal -- how
to write macros that define anaphoric macros, which is about the most
extreme combination of Lispy and un-Schemey I can think of.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Tim X
Kenny Tilton <·············@nyc.rr.com> writes:

> I took a nap while working on my C-to-Lisp translator. I dreamt Paul
> Graham was the new day bartender at my regular hangout. I asked him
> why he did not use Scheme to do Viaweb, given his preference for
> minimalism manifested in the design papers on Arc. I think he said
> "performance", but the juke box drowned him out. Then he went off
> duty, so I could not get confirmation, or ask him why performance
> would matter given Web latency, or how he ended up as our new
> bartender.
>
> Thoughts?

Wooh! Kenny your subconscious is screaming out for a change - probably
one which requires large glasses of cold ale, a jukebox and some
clever scheme to distract you from all things lisp for a while!

Tim

--
Tim Cross