From: Jonathon McKitrick
Subject: Lisp web app hosting
Thanks to Luigi, I have the foundation for a killer webapp up and
running.  Thanks, Luigi!

Here is the real test.  I need to find a hosting service that will
allow or offer CLSQL, SBCL, and some server like Araneida, preferably.
Or, is it cheaper to buy a name, buy a server, and roll your own?

This is my first foray into commercially deploying web apps, so I
appreciate your patience.  But the more help I get, the more likely it
will be Lisp rather than php running the app!

From: Rob Warnock
Subject: Re: Lisp web app hosting
Jonathon McKitrick <···········@bigfoot.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Here is the real test.  I need to find a hosting service that will
| allow or offer CLSQL, SBCL, and some server like Araneida, preferably.
+---------------

Have you looked here?

    http://wiki.alu.org/Lisp-friendly_Web_Hosting

+---------------
| Or, is it cheaper to buy a name, buy a server, and roll your own?
+---------------

That works too. Or rent a dedicated server at a co-lo.

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Paolo Amoroso
"Jonathon McKitrick" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Here is the real test.  I need to find a hosting service that will
> allow or offer CLSQL, SBCL, and some server like Araneida, preferably.

See:

  Lisp-friendly Web Hosting
  http://wiki.alu.org/Lisp-friendly_Web_Hosting

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: Thomas F. Burdick
"Jonathon McKitrick" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Thanks to Luigi, I have the foundation for a killer webapp up and
> running.  Thanks, Luigi!
>
> Here is the real test.  I need to find a hosting service that will
> allow or offer CLSQL, SBCL, and some server like Araneida, preferably.
> Or, is it cheaper to buy a name, buy a server, and roll your own?
>
> This is my first foray into commercially deploying web apps, so I
> appreciate your patience.  But the more help I get, the more likely it
> will be Lisp rather than php running the app!

Assuming you have basic Unix admin skills, you should probably go with
a co-location service or something involving user-space Linux or
FreeBSD jails.  You probably want to control port 80, and proabably
want to have full control over your RDBMS.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Babar K. Zafar
Check out http://www.escapebox.net/

FreeBSD 4.x servers using jail which allow almost full control over the
server. Unlike other Linux based virtual server solutions you don't
have to do everything yourself, the machine is already preconfigured
with all the common services. The idea is that you only install and
configure stuff you care about, everything else is kept update by the
escapebox administrators.

You can install everything available in FreeBSD Ports, SBCL, CMU Lisp,
Clisp, Sceme48, etc..

-bkz
From: ·············@gmail.com
Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Here is the real test.  I need to find a hosting service that will
> allow or offer CLSQL, SBCL, and some server like Araneida, preferably.
> Or, is it cheaper to buy a name, buy a server, and roll your own?

If you've got decent upstream bandwidth, yes.  Otherwise, it's pretty
easy these days to find Xen virtual hosting - you have root, so you can
install what you want.  I've had good luck with rimuhosting.com - very
fast turnaround time from customer support.  NO relation to them, just
a satisfied customer.
From: John Thingstad
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 06:20:23 +0100, ·············@gmail.com
<·············@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>> Here is the real test.  I need to find a hosting service that will
>> allow or offer CLSQL, SBCL, and some server like Araneida, preferably.
>> Or, is it cheaper to buy a name, buy a server, and roll your own?
>
> If you've got decent upstream bandwidth, yes.  Otherwise, it's pretty
> easy these days to find Xen virtual hosting - you have root, so you can
> install what you want.  I've had good luck with rimuhosting.com - very
> fast turnaround time from customer support.  NO relation to them, just
> a satisfied customer.

Do you need X1 bandwith..? (1 giabit+)

From: ·············@gmail.com