From: Sylvain
Subject: Araneida behind Apache vs mod_lisp
so I was reading the various posts about Araneida,
downloaded it but just had time for a very superficial
look;  one thing I wonder though -- bear with me,
I am a newbie :-):  it seems that Araneida is typically
used behind Apache which acts as a proxy server;  now,
what does it buy me so to speak,  as compared to using
mod_lisp?

--Sylvain

From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Subject: Re: Araneida behind Apache vs mod_lisp
Sylvain wrote:
> so I was reading the various posts about Araneida,
> downloaded it but just had time for a very superficial
> look;  one thing I wonder though -- bear with me,
> I am a newbie :-):  it seems that Araneida is typically
> used behind Apache which acts as a proxy server;  now,
> what does it buy me so to speak,  as compared to using
> mod_lisp?

I'd say you don't need to install mod_lisp; you can simply ask the site
admin to configure mod_proxy to route to you running araneida (which
runs as a normal user app on Unix).

Getting someone to install something that needs to run with full Apache
privileges (because it's a full module) might be harder.

--
the bottom line is that a JavaSchool that won't teach C and won't teach
Scheme is not really teaching computer science, either.  --  Joel Spolsky
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Sylvain <ยทยทยทยท@att.net> writes:

> so I was reading the various posts about Araneida,
> downloaded it but just had time for a very superficial
> look;  one thing I wonder though -- bear with me,
> I am a newbie :-):  it seems that Araneida is typically
> used behind Apache which acts as a proxy server;  now,
> what does it buy me so to speak,  as compared to using
> mod_lisp?

Araneida can be used behind Apache, but it doesn't have to be.  This
means you don't necessarily have to screw around with configuring
Apache.  Also, because it's a proper server in itself, you can sit it
behind any reverse-proxy if you want to deploy that way.  This
includes Pound [*] and Squid [**], which are quite a bit smaller and
easier to configure, install, and maintain.  If you need other
features of Apache, by all means, use it -- but if you just need a
reverse proxy, I'm glad to have smaller alternatives.

[*] A simple reverse-proxy and https front-end: http://www.apsis.ch/pound/

[**] More complex than Pound, it also handles ftp, and does cacheing.
     http://www.squid-cache.org/

--
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |