From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: [cells-gtk-devel] Announcement: cells-gtk using CFFI,	and CLISP is back in!
Follow the bouncing announcement.... this is Peter Denno relaying news
of Novikov Leonid's port of Cells-GTk to a CFFI base, replacing
Hello-C/UFFI. This has the happy effect of porting Cells-Gtk to any Lisp
implementation supported by CFFI, including CLisp where, thanks to
Vasilis Margioulas, cells-gtk began life atop CLisp's native FFI.

That's OK, I am confused, too.

Peter Denno wrote:

"Hi,

A few days ago, Novikov Leonid sent me [Footnote] a version of cells-gtk
running under CLISP and CFFI (the new foreign function interface,
http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/ ). I merged his changes into the CVS
repository, and got things running on Lispworks and CMUCL too.

There is a tarball snapshot available. (See our homepage
http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/ for more information).

The snapshot also includes the version of CFFI used.

The new code has been lightly tested by me under:
  - CLISP 2.36 / linux
  - Lispworks 4.4 Pro / linux
  - CMUCL 19c / linux

If you try some other lisps and platforms, drop the list a note. I'll check
CLISP and Lispworks under Windows, but it'll be a few weeks. "

The cells-gtk list reports successful light testing under SBCL and
AllegroCL beta 8.

Aside to the toads who accuse me of being a Franz insider: I did not
even know they /had/ an ACL8, never mind that it was in beta. Nyeah-nyeah.

kt

From: Revzala Haelmic
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Peter Denno wrote:
>
> "Hi,
[ skipped ]
> If you try some other lisps and platforms, drop the list a note. I'll check
> CLISP and Lispworks under Windows, but it'll be a few weeks. "

I just tried cells-gtk on Windows 2003 Server with CLISP 2.37 & GTK 2.8.6
The GTK was taken from gladewin32.sourceforge.net

I changed *gtk-lib-path* in file ./root/gtk-ffi/gtk-ffi.asd from
"E:/GTK/bin/" to more likely "C:/GTK/bin/" and ran (load 'load).

It barfed at gtk_adds_dialog_vbox, gtk_adds_text_view_popup_menu,
gtk_adds_text_iter_new, gtk_adds_tree_iter_new, gtk_adds_widget_visible_p,
gtk_adds_widget_mapped_p, gtk_adds_widget_window, gtk_adds_color_new,
gtk_adds_color_set_rgb, gtk_adds_ok in the following way:

** - Continuable Error
FFI::FOREIGN-LIBRARY-FUNCTION: no dynamic object named "gtk_adds_ok" in library :DEFAULT
If you continue (by typing 'continue'): Skip foreign object creation
The following restarts are also available:
RETRY          :R1      Retry performing #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL #x19F23FFD> on #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "gtk-other" #x19F247DD>.
ACCEPT         :R2      Continue, treating #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL #x19F23FFD> on #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "gtk-other" #x19F247DD> as having been successful.
SKIP           :R3      skip (LET # # ...)
STOP           :R4      stop loading file C:\lispbox3\cells-gtk-2006-01-03\load.lisp
ABORT          :R5      ABORT

So, I just skipped them for now and then ran (test-gtk::gtk-demo)
The first three errors which appeared at the start were:

(<unknown>:1948): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack_start: assertion `child->parent == NULL' failed
(<unknown>:1948): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack_start: assertion `child->parent == NULL' failed
(<unknown>:1948): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkAccelLabel to a
GtkImageMenuItem, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkImageMenuItem can only
contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkAccelLabel

They didn't stop me from playing with demo and then crashing it by resizing
a window when TreeView page was opened. By the way, can anybody expalin
why this crash happens?
From: Kenny Tilton
Revzala Haelmic wrote:
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>> Peter Denno wrote:
>>
>> "Hi,
>
> [ skipped ]
>
>> If you try some other lisps and platforms, drop the list a note. I'll
>> check
>> CLISP and Lispworks under Windows, but it'll be a few weeks. "
>

> I just tried cells-gtk on Windows 2003 Server with CLISP 2.37 & GTK
> 2.8.6 The GTK was taken from gladewin32.sourceforge.net

[snip error report]

You'll get better response on the cells-gtk lists over at
common-lisp.net where the project is hosted: