From: David Parker
Subject: Too much help
I'm a newbie to the group so be gentle.  I'm using clisp 2.31 and
running it as an inferior list under the X version of GNU emacs 21.3.1.
  Often up pops the following annoying message in the middle of my lisp
code:

Help (abbreviated :h) = this list
Use the usual editing capabilities
(quit) or (exit) leaves CLISP

Does anyone know where this comes from?  It's very annoying to have to
backspace over all that text and resume coding where I left off.  TIA.
-- david parker

From: David Parker
Subject: Re: Too much help
David Parker wrote:
> I'm a newbie to the group so be gentle.  I'm using clisp 2.31 and
> running it as an inferior list under the X version of GNU emacs 21.3.1.
>  Often up pops the following annoying message in the middle of my lisp
> code:
>
> Help (abbreviated :h) = this list
> Use the usual editing capabilities
> (quit) or (exit) leaves CLISP
>
> Does anyone know where this comes from?  It's very annoying to have to
> backspace over all that text and resume coding where I left off.  TIA.
> -- david parker

I just tried running clisp stand-alone and was bombarded with the same
message every time I hit the tab key.  Clearly there's something about
clisp that I don't understand.  Does anyone know how to get rid of that
message?  -- david
From: Pascal Bourguignon
David Parker <·······@email.unc.edu> writes:

> David Parker wrote:
>> I'm a newbie to the group so be gentle.  I'm using clisp 2.31 and
>> running it as an inferior list under the X version of GNU emacs
>> 21.3.1.  Often up pops the following annoying message in the middle
>> of my lisp code:
>> Help (abbreviated :h) = this list
>> Use the usual editing capabilities
>> (quit) or (exit) leaves CLISP
>> Does anyone know where this comes from?  It's very annoying to have
>> to backspace over all that text and resume coding where I left off.
>> TIA. -- david parker
>
> I just tried running clisp stand-alone and was bombarded with the same
> message every time I hit the tab key.  Clearly there's something about
> clisp that I don't understand.  Does anyone know how to get rid of
> that message?  -- david

Launch it with the option: -I

WARNING: This product attracts every other piece of matter in the
universe, including the products of other manufacturers, with a
force proportional to the product of the masses and inversely
proportional to the distance between them.
From: Joerg Hoehle
David Parker <·······@email.unc.edu> writes:
> David Parker wrote:
> > I'm a newbie to the group so be gentle.  I'm using clisp 2.31 and
> > running it as an inferior list under the X version of GNU emacs 21.3.1.

Have Emacs launch clisp -I
E.g. (setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp -I") M-x run-lisp
-- depending on how you setup Emacs!!

> I just tried running clisp stand-alone and was bombarded with the same
> message every time I hit the tab key.  Clearly there's something about
> clisp that I don't understand.  Does anyone know how to get rid of that
> message?  -- david

Note that using -I disables readline's symbol completion, which is
quite nice for editing interactively (but mostly useless when editing
from within Emacs, because Emacs typically sends data to Lisp one line
at a time).

To avoid seeing thie text but still using clisp with readline within a
console, I recommend you stop using TAB characters in source files.
Please Investigate `indent-tabs-mode' in Emacs.  Then, copy&paste from
the editor into the console wil not include TABs, and clisp's readline
won't display the help text.  You get the best of both worlds.

Note also that SLIME provides symbol completion for CL within Emacs.

Regards,
	Jorg Hohle
Telekom/T-Systems Technology Center
From: Pascal Bourguignon
David Parker <·······@email.unc.edu> writes:

> I'm a newbie to the group so be gentle.  I'm using clisp 2.31 and
> running it as an inferior list under the X version of GNU emacs
> 21.3.1. Often up pops the following annoying message in the middle of
> my lisp code:
>
> Help (abbreviated :h) = this list
> Use the usual editing capabilities
> (quit) or (exit) leaves CLISP
>
> Does anyone know where this comes from?  It's very annoying to have to
> backspace over all that text and resume coding where I left off.
> TIA. -- david parker

You should configure it to launch clisp with the option -I
It pops up like that when you send a TAB character to clisp.

PUBLIC NOTICE AS REQUIRED BY LAW: Any use of this product, in any
manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the
universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is
warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of
the universe.