From: Mike Speed
Subject: MACLISP, SHRDLU, AND IOC
There are several references to IOC in SHRDLU - what is it?

From: kims
Subject: Re: MACLISP, SHRDLU, AND IOC
hi every body
         i have problem in lisp, i need to monitor a process (one lisp
prog.) by another process. can anybody give me a solution for this..
i.e. in implementing this

regards
-kims
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·······················@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
 "kims" <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi every body
>          i have problem in lisp, i need to monitor a process (one lisp
> prog.) by another process. can anybody give me a solution for this..
> i.e. in implementing this

Huh, what does this have to do with MACLISP (a now-ancient Lisp
dialect), SHRDLU (the AI "blocks world" project), and IOC (a MACLISP
built-in function)?

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Mike Speed" <·······@yahoo.com> writes:
> There are several references to IOC in SHRDLU - what is it?

Seems to be a macro to issue I/O Channel commands.
It looks like they can be rather safely ignored.

"You can tell the Lisp programmers.  They have pockets full of punch
 cards with close parentheses on them." --> http://tinyurl.com/8ubpf
From: Peter S. Housel
Pascal Bourguignon <······@informatimago.com> writes:

> "Mike Speed" <·······@yahoo.com> writes:
>> There are several references to IOC in SHRDLU - what is it?
>
> Seems to be a macro to issue I/O Channel commands.
> It looks like they can be rather safely ignored.

An FSUBR, actually.  As for what it did, calling (IOC G), for example,
was equivalent to typing Control-G on the input TTY.  Most of the
control keys were defined to set various TTY output control variables;
Control-G was a global abort to the top-level (similar to modern
Emacs).

-Peter-
From: Mike Speed
Okay, how can I define it correctly?

;IOC UNDEFINED FUNCTION OBJECT
From: Barry Margolin
In article <························@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>,
 "Mike Speed" <·······@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Okay, how can I define it correctly?
>
> ;IOC UNDEFINED FUNCTION OBJECT

Find a copy of the MACLISP manual, and write an emulator based on the
specification there.  For instance, (IOC G) could be translated to
(abort).  So it might look something like:

(defmacro ioc (key)
  (setq key (intern (symbol-name key) :package)) ; avoid package probs
  (ecase key
    (:g '(abort))
    ...))

--