From: rich
Subject: norvig book ?
 hi,
i am tryin to use the
chapter 6.2 in Peter Norvig's
book "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming".
http://www.norvig.com/paip.html
 for performing the below case, but the code contains many other
functions i am still not getttin do i have to use all those functions
and also the bindings(i dont have any idea what they are) which are
present there can somebody let me know what part of code should i only
use for the below computation,

 exp :  (match '(?X 2 G) '(ABC 2 G))
 returns :   ( (?X  ABC) (t t))

From: rich
Subject: Re: norvig book ?
From: verec
On 2006-02-26 05:33:09 +0000, "rich" <·········@yahoo.co.in> said:

>  hi,
> i am tryin to use the
> chapter 6.2 in Peter Norvig's
> book "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming".
> http://www.norvig.com/paip.html
>  for performing the below case, but the code contains many other
> functions i am still not getttin do i have to use all those functions
> and also the bindings(i dont have any idea what they are) which are
> present there can somebody let me know what part of code should i only
> use for the below computation,

You're probably not going to get many answers because your
question is either too vague (the answer might be: well, learn
Lisp!) or too precise:

>  exp :  (match '(?X 2 G) '(ABC 2 G))  returns :   ( (?X  ABC) (t t))

in which case nobody can see why you can't work out for
yourself what is "lisp builtin" and what isn't (hint: match and ?X)

In which case it is hard to beleive that you can't yourself
walk back from "match" down to what it is composed of in terms
of other lisp primitives or other non primitives that Norvig
gives you the source of.

If you do try to walk it back yourself, and then come up
with a specific transformation that you don't understand,
then asking a question on that specific topic might return
you answers.

But as you phrased it, it sounds like a plea for someone here
to "fit into your shoes" better than you do it yourself, and
come up with a direct answer to questions you are not even
ready to formulate.

My best suggestion would be: try to imagine how someone about
to answer your query would go in order to answer it. Once you
get the image in your mind of what process such a person would
go through, try it for yourself. Or show how you tried to figure
out that detective process and where you failed.

Until then, it is hardly possible to give any help.
--
JFB