From: TrmptRacer
Subject: LISP tutorial
I was wondering if there is a good LISP tutorial available
inexpensively (read free) anywhere.  For most languages, there are
good, basic tutorials available for download.  I''ve done a little
programming in BASIC, C and xBASE so I'm not entirely new to
programming.

Also, I downloaded a copy of VisualLisp and attempted to run it.  All
that would happen was the splash screen would come up and then nothing.
 Program is real short on documentation and I haven't been able to find
out what's wrong.

Bill

               Keller Racing
          "Performance By Design"
             ··········@cs.com
http://ourworld.cs.com/KellerRcng/index.htm

From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: Re: LISP tutorial
TrmptRacer wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a good LISP tutorial available
> inexpensively (read free) anywhere.  For most languages, there are
> good, basic tutorials available for download.  I''ve done a little
> programming in BASIC, C and xBASE so I'm not entirely new to
> programming.

Here are two. The first is easier to start with. The second is more
focused on real projects. Both are books, but also available online for
free.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/
http://gigamonkeys.com/book/

> Also, I downloaded a copy of VisualLisp and attempted to run it.  All
> that would happen was the splash screen would come up and then nothing.
>  Program is real short on documentation and I haven't been able to find
> out what's wrong.
>
> Bill

You can get a good Lisp development environment here:
http://gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/
From: William Bland
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:42:35 -0800, Eric Lavigne wrote:

> TrmptRacer wrote:
>> I was wondering if there is a good LISP tutorial available
>> inexpensively (read free) anywhere...
>
> Here are two. The first is easier to start with. The second is more
> focused on real projects. Both are books, but also available online for
> free.
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/
> http://gigamonkeys.com/book/

These are both excellent books for longer-term study.  For a shorter
tutorial though, I would recommend:

http://www.lisperati.com/casting.html

It worked well for a few of my friends, who have since moved on to the
books listed above.

Best wishes,
	Bill.
From: TrmptRacer
Well, went to Gigamonkey and started to download.  Hmmm, 1 hr and 50+
min.  Have to wait till I have more time but I'm going to give it a
try.  Thanks.

From: news.sunsite.dk
You can try "On Lisp" or "the Roots of Lisp"
http://www.paulgraham.com/rootsoflisp.html

"TrmptRacer" <·············@cs.com> ????
·····························@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

From: TrmptRacer
Thanks to all.   Now I have to track all these suggestions down and
start reading. ;-))