From: Karol Skocik
Subject: Lispdoc Emacs Lisp code
Hi guys,
  I have found this useful code to check lispdoc.com from Emacs :

(defun lispdoc ()
  "searches lispdoc.com for SYMBOL, which is by default the symbol
currently under the curser"
  (interactive)
  (let* ((word-at-point (word-at-point))
	 (symbol-at-point (symbol-at-point))
	 (default (symbol-name symbol-at-point))
	 (inp (read-from-minibuffer
	       (if (or word-at-point symbol-at-point)
		   (concat "Symbol (default " default "): ")
		   "Symbol (no default): "))))
    (if (and (string= inp "")
             (not word-at-point)
             (not symbol-at-point))
	     (message "you didn't enter a symbol!")
	 (let ((search-type
            (read-from-minibuffer
			  "full-text (f) or basic (b) search (default b)? ")))
	  (browse-url (concat "http://lispdoc.com?q="
			      (if (string= inp "")
				  default
				  inp)
			      "&search="
			      (if (string-equal search-type "f")
				  "full+text+search"
				  "basic+search")))))))

but it's not working for me.
when I do M-x lispdoc, I get :

Could not contact host: lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search / 80
Attempted using gateway method: native
---- Error was: ----
lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search/80 Name or service not known

I was trying from 2 places, but no luck.

Any Emacs Lisp hacker knows what might be a problem?

Thank you,
  Karol

From: GP lisper
Subject: Re: Lispdoc Emacs Lisp code
On 22 Feb 2006 23:47:00 -0800, <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search/80 Name or service not known

Nothing to do with elisp.  Purely a nameservice problem.  A zillion
possibilities, ranging from a disconnected cable to a backhoe cutting
a cable.

Try some form of 'ping lispdoc.com' testing.

--
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist.
Children already know that dragons exist.
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:40:19 -0800, GP lisper wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2006 23:47:00 -0800, <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search/80 Name or service not known
>
> Nothing to do with elisp.  Purely a nameservice problem.  A zillion
> possibilities, ranging from a disconnected cable to a backhoe cutting
> a cable.
>
> Try some form of 'ping lispdoc.com' testing.

FWIW, lispdoc.com has been accessible all day from here... but then I am
only about ten miles away from it ;-)

Hope you get the problem sorted Karol.

Best wishes,
	Bill.
From: ········@gmail.com
Karol wrote:
>Could not contact host: lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search / >80
>Attempted using gateway method: native
>---- Error was: ----
>lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search/80 Name or service not >known

Hey Karol,

I'm not an elisp hacker but I actually did write this function.

All it does (in an abstract sense) is

 (format *browser* "http://www.lispdoc.com?q=~A&search=~A" your-symbol
your-search-type)

"http://lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search" seems fine from
here...

If you can load the Lisp Dictionary through your browser (just like
normally), search for a term with a specific search mode and compare
that uri line with the one Emacs sends you to. If it is not identical,
email me off the list and I'll try to help.

I would recommend making sure you can access the site normally. Also
perhaps check the value of variable BROWSE-URL-BROWSER-FUNCTION in
emacs. I'm not sure exactly what your problem is.

Nick
From: Karol Skocik
Hi,
  it is better now - I think there was missing '/' after lispdoc.com in
http://lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search

seems like firefox can insert that slash automatically, but emacs-w3
not.
I still don't see the results because I get another : "Invalid face
height : 0" from w3, but it is not the problem of the script :). Yeah,
step by step to the Lisp Nirvana ... :)

Thanks for ideas,
  Karol
From: William Bland
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:22:38 -0800, Karol Skocik wrote:

> Hi,
>   it is better now - I think there was missing '/' after lispdoc.com in
> http://lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search
>
> seems like firefox can insert that slash automatically, but emacs-w3
> not.
> I still don't see the results because I get another : "Invalid face
> height : 0" from w3, but it is not the problem of the script :). Yeah,
> step by step to the Lisp Nirvana ... :)

Interesting.  Emacs-w3m has no problem with lispdoc (except that it
wants to use more column-space than is often available - I'm planning to
fix this). I can't find anywhere to download the original emacs-w3.  From
what I've read it's quite outdated and these days people recommend w3m
instead.  If you do figure out what's causing it to choke though, I'll
see if there's anything I can do from my end.

Best wishes,
	Bill.
From: Bernd Schmitt
Hello Karol,

On 23.02.2006 08:47, Karol Skocik wrote:
> Could not contact host: lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search / 80
> Attempted using gateway method: native
> ---- Error was: ----
> lispdoc.com?q=pathname&search=basic+search/80 Name or service not known
>
> I was trying from 2 places, but no luck.
>
> Any Emacs Lisp hacker knows what might be a problem?
Sometimes Emacs has some connecting problems (e.g. DSL under Linux).
If I do a permanent ping on an extra terminal, often those problems vanish.

Ciao.
Bernd

--
         T_a_k_e__c_a_r_e__o_f__y_o_u_r__R_I_G_H_T_S.
           P_r_e_v_e_n_t__L_O_G_I_C--P_A_T_E_N_T_S