From: daBittweiler
Subject: understanding SLisp 1.2
The SLisp that was developed by Sandro Sigala.

It's claims to help the new Lisp users to understand lisp syntax.
I find it confusing reading the man pages they just list functions that
I have
no clue about. Is there any tutorials anywhere to get me started on
this
Lisp journey.

From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: Re: understanding SLisp 1.2
> The SLisp that was developed by Sandro Sigala.
>
> It's claims to help the new Lisp users to understand lisp syntax.
> I find it confusing reading the man pages they just list functions that
> I have
> no clue about. Is there any tutorials anywhere to get me started on
> this Lisp journey.

Is there some reason that you would want to use SLisp instead of Common
Lisp? The stated purpose of SLisp is to make Common Lisp simpler to
learn for new programmers, but no one ever said you had to use
everything in the language. You can download a full Common Lisp
compiler and only use a few of its capabilities if you find a large
language to be overwhelming. That's basically what SLisp is: Common
Lisp with a lot of stuff taken out. On the other hand, if you are a C
programmer who is trying to learn how to write a Lisp compiler, then
looking at the SLisp source code could be useful :-D

To get started on learning Lisp, you can check out some of these:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/
http://www.gigamonkeys.com
http://paulgraham.com/acl.html
http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/

Start with gigamonkeys because the early chapters describe how to set
up a Lisp development environment. Once you get your compiler and
editor set up then you can decide which of the above you want to read
first. The first three are tutorials. The last one is a reference book.
From: daBittweiler
Thanks, the only reason right now is that the clisp
package wouldn't compile on my system NetBSD.

I tried the one from the site not the one in the NetBSD
package collection.  Guess I'm give CLisp a spin.  If
I could get Franz Lisp (the Berkley one, not Franz Inc.) to compile
that will be sweet.  But that's my little side project.

Thanks,
From: Eric Lavigne
>Thanks, the only reason right now is that the clisp
>package wouldn't compile on my system NetBSD.

That's strange. CLisp claims to have a NetBSD port. What sort of
problems did you run into?
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/lang/clisp/

CMUCL should also work on NetBSD. There are a variety of Common Lisp
compilers to choose from.
http://www.cons.org/cmucl/platforms.html
From: daBittweiler
I downloaded it from:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/clisp/release/2.38/clisp-2.38.tar.gz
not the NetBSD ports tree.
I'm having networking issues on NetBSD right.
I'll get so kind of Lisp working so

thanks again :D
From: daBittweiler
Thanks Eric

CMUCL works fine.
Off to reading manual pages...............