From: fp
Subject: McCLIM performance
My system:
AMD Thunderbird 1000MHz CPU
Debian GNU/Linux
SBCL 0.9.9

Last week I decided to take a look at some Lisp GUI libraries. I
asdf-installed CLX and downloaded McCLIM (current CVS version). Then I
wrote some example code (based on: http://constantly.at/lisp/ui.html)
and tried it out:

(require 'clx)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'mcclim)
then started the application.

A nice window appeared and everything was fine, except that when
resizing the window, its contents won't resize fast enough. It looks
like the pane's resize is delayed.

Then I decided that maybe my comiler was not optimizing the code so
(after searching) I came with this:
(require 'asdf)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:compile-op 'clx :proclamations '(optimize (speed 3)
(safety 0) (debug 0)))
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'clx)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:compile-op 'mcclim :proclamations '(optimize (speed
3) (safety 0) (debug 0)))
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'mcclim)

Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. My McCLIM example is still
SLOW. What's the reason for this? Have I done something wrong? How can
I see if the McCLIM code is slow? Is the above :proclamations syntax
the right way to specify optimizations for asdf?

Thanks in advance.

From: Rob Warnock
Subject: Re: McCLIM performance
fp <········@yahoo.com> wrote:
+---------------
| A nice window appeared and everything was fine, except that when
| resizing the window, its contents won't resize fast enough. It looks
| like the pane's resize is delayed.
+---------------

Just a thought... Could your event handler possibly be missing an
XLIB:DISPLAY-FORCE-OUTPUT in the branch that handles resizing?
Or maybe in the EXPOSURE event handler?

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: fp
I don't understand CLIM or X programming. My code is just a very simple
example code. A didn't write any event handlers just a single aplicatin
frame with  a pane.