From: fireblade
Subject: Lisp game development : TV3D engine 6.2 port
I'm working on a TV3D 6.2 engine port
http://www.truevision3d.com/home.php via lispworks
FLI and plan to post my preliminary code and some tutorial in something
like 2 weeks.
If somebody else is interested in developing games in Lisp please post
or mail me as I'm really interested are there any other people
interested in this field of using Lisp and I would definately need some
testing and critic regarding my porting project and use of lisp.

Slobodan

From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: Re: Lisp game development : TV3D engine 6.2 port
>I'm working on a TV3D 6.2 engine port
>http://www.truevision3d.com/home.php via lispworks
>FLI and plan to post my preliminary code and some tutorial in >something like 2 weeks.

This looks like a nice game engine. I spent some time researching this
stuff a year ago, so I'm surprised that I hadn't seen this one before.

>If somebody else is interested in developing games
>in Lisp please post or mail me as I'm really interested
>are there any other people interested in this field of
>using Lisp and I would definately need some testing
>and critic regarding my porting project and use of lisp.

I can't offer a lot of time, but I'm definitely interested. My little
brother is also interested in game programming (and has more time on
his hands) so maybe this is my chance to bring him into the Lisp world
:-)
From: fireblade
>I can't offer a lot of time, but I'm definitely interested
> My little brother is also interested in game programming
> (and has more time on his hands) so maybe this is my >chance to bring him into the Lisp world

Thanks Eric , considering 6.2 version is little-bit outdated
(it's based on DX8) and 6.5 version (based on DX9) is in beta waited
for release i don't plan a full port of the engine rather put enaphe to
start with and add functions as needed .But considering all C++ and
Lisp code will be open anybody could add and change  whatever he wants.

I think this little projects will show who are the lispers really
interested in making games with lisp and who are just trolling about it
, as there was a flood of threads about this subject and will all see
how many will really help in this subject or maybe start something
else .

I don't know about your brother if he doesn't done Lisp before this
probably won't be best thing to start with as i will need someone  with
 at list basic skills of Lisp , FLI and C++ .He can start learning lisp
and join when he's ready.

bobi
From: bradb
I am interested in making games in Lisp.  Unfortuantly, I am way too
much of a newbie at Lisp to tackle games in it just yet.  I could
struggle through, but wouldn't have much fun.  Also, I am primarily
interested in crossplatform solutions, preferably that can be used
under a BSD/GPL licence.

Cheers
Brad
From: fireblade
bradb wrote:
> I am interested in making games in Lisp.  Unfortuantly, I am way too
> much of a newbie at Lisp to tackle games in it just yet.  I could
> struggle through, but wouldn't have much fun.  Also, I am primarily
> interested in crossplatform solutions, preferably that can be used
> under a BSD/GPL licence.
>
> Cheers
> Brad

You could  try writing lisp  interface to Irrlicht
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ with CFFI
http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/ . Irrlicht is the wonderfull
engine who could run on Win, Linux, Mac and it's BSD licensed , it was
second on my list  and CFFI is a great FFI projects running in all
lisps .

Even if you are newbie it would be nice to participate in TV3D project
so you could gather some experience which will help you in the future
projects.
Of course if you're win user.
And  interested in making games with lisp means  the one who want to
spend some time working on it , not some
*wanna-be-but-i-do-nothing-because...*.
From: ···············@lycos.com
fireblade wrote:
> bradb wrote:
> > I am interested in making games in Lisp.  Unfortuantly, I am way too
> > much of a newbie at Lisp to tackle games in it just yet.  I could
> > struggle through, but wouldn't have much fun.  Also, I am primarily
> > interested in crossplatform solutions, preferably that can be used
> > under a BSD/GPL licence.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Brad
>
> You could  try writing lisp  interface to Irrlicht
> http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ with CFFI
> http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/ . Irrlicht is the wonderfull
> engine who could run on Win, Linux, Mac and it's BSD licensed , it was
> second on my list  and CFFI is a great FFI projects running in all
> lisps .

Out of curiosity why do you choose TV3D with FLI over Irrlicht with
CFFI ,
adding crossplatform and crossimplementation solution would be a bigger
win
for the Lisp community and BTW i have made a demo with irrlicht and i
found it a very
easy to learn and use.

alex
From: fireblade
···············@lycos.com wrote:
> fireblade wrote:
> > bradb wrote:
> > > I am interested in making games in Lisp.  Unfortuantly, I am way too
> > > much of a newbie at Lisp to tackle games in it just yet.  I could
> > > struggle through, but wouldn't have much fun.  Also, I am primarily
> > > interested in crossplatform solutions, preferably that can be used
> > > under a BSD/GPL licence.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Brad
> >
> > You could  try writing lisp  interface to Irrlicht
> > http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ with CFFI
> > http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/ . Irrlicht is the wonderfull
> > engine who could run on Win, Linux, Mac and it's BSD licensed , it was
> > second on my list  and CFFI is a great FFI projects running in all
> > lisps .
>
> Out of curiosity why do you choose TV3D with FLI over Irrlicht with
> CFFI ,
> adding crossplatform and crossimplementation solution would be a bigger
> win
> for the Lisp community and BTW i have made a demo with irrlicht and i
> found it a very
> easy to learn and use.
>
> alex

My reasons could be summarized with fallowing:
   Why did i choose TV3D
  1 : Easier porting
  2 : Irrlicht either :
      a passes messages internally , no way Lisp to talk that way to it
or
      b i have to add port od DirectInput  (more job) in order to make
him to talk to lisp
  3 : Closer to my way of thinking

  Why did i choose FLI:
  1 : I'm a Gates kid i like things to work out of box i hate to
install anything else
  2 : I have some experience with FLI , i don't know anything about
CFFI
  3 : I'm writing this port because i want to make my game , helping
Lisp community is only  a byproduct that i'm very about

slobodan
From: ···············@lycos.com
fireblade wrote:
> ···············@lycos.com wrote:
> > fireblade wrote:

> > > You could  try writing lisp  interface to Irrlicht
> > > http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ with CFFI
> > > http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/ . Irrlicht is the wonderfull
> > > engine who could run on Win, Linux, Mac and it's BSD licensed , it was
> > > second on my list  and CFFI is a great FFI projects running in all
> > > lisps .
> >
> > Out of curiosity why do you choose TV3D with FLI over Irrlicht with
> > CFFI ,
> > adding crossplatform and crossimplementation solution would be a bigger
> > win
> > for the Lisp community and BTW i have made a demo with irrlicht and i
> > found it a very
> > easy to learn and use.
> >
> > alex
>
> My reasons could be summarized with fallowing:
>    Why did i choose TV3D
>   1 : Easier porting
>   2 : Irrlicht either :
>       a passes messages internally , no way Lisp to talk that way to it
> or
>       b i have to add port od DirectInput  (more job) in order to make
> him to talk to lisp
>   3 : Closer to my way of thinking
>
>   Why did i choose FLI:
>   1 : I'm a Gates kid i like things to work out of box i hate to
> install anything else
>   2 : I have some experience with FLI , i don't know anything about
> CFFI
>   3 : I'm writing this port because i want to make my game , helping
> Lisp community is only  a byproduct that i'm very about
>
> slobodan

Ok but you limit your audience a lot , first to Windows  than to only
one vendor and Lisp
community is very small .  If your project succeeds CFFI  definitions
could be added later to your C++  headers, if i find some time i can
help with that .
You plan to open the whole code both lisp and C++ for everybody , right
?
 What license will you use LLGPL ,BSD?
Good luck and we're waiting for your code.
alex
alex
From: fireblade
> Ok but you limit your audience a lot , first to Windows  than to only
> one vendor and Lisp community is very small .

The masses still didn't discovered Lisp , thanks god :)

> You plan to open the whole code both lisp and C++ for everybody , right ?
>  What license will you use LLGPL ,BSD?

Public domain I guess i don't understand legal terms  so anybody could
do anything he want's exept suing me .

bobi
From: fireblade
Subject: Am I addicted to functional programming ?
As the wednesday , the day i promised to post my code , approaches I'm
doing mostly testing how the wrappers are working, and are they working
at all, and I'm in the politics again.
It looks like that I got somewhere in my head that functions should
called for returning values not for side-effects nor modifying
arguments and that clashes with the C++ way of doing things.

I mean whenever I got warning about global variable or write a foreign
function which returns :void I feel miserable, like I'm doing something
wrong .

The question is am I addicted to functional programming ?
And is that bad ?

bobi
From: fireblade
Small tutorial and my full code posted for the interface to TV3D engine
.
You can find tutorial at http://www.geocities.com/blaseski/
or just download everything at
http://quick.dropfiles.net/download.php?file=697c5adb3dea499bfec4bdf36ebf439a.

Slobodan
From: Eric Lavigne
> Small tutorial and my full code posted
> for the interface to TV3D engine.
> You can find tutorial at
> http://www.geocities.com/blaseski/

I just tried your tutorial. It was very easy to follow, and the result
was pretty.

Your code seemed to cover a lot more than what was in the tutorial. Did
you get the rest of TV3D work also?
From: fireblade
Eric Lavigne wrote:
> > Small tutorial and my full code posted
> > for the interface to TV3D engine.
> > You can find tutorial at
> > http://www.geocities.com/blaseski/
>
> I just tried your tutorial. It was very easy to follow, and the result
> was pretty.

I'm happy that you like it Eric.

> Your code seemed to cover a lot more than what was in the tutorial. Did
> you get the rest of TV3D work also?

I don't have the whole TV3D 6.2 (who is BTW DX8 based) engine work,
 actually I don't plan to considering TV3D 6.5 (DX9 based) is just
around the
corner but I have much more than  what the tutorial showed written
as you can see yourself from the code in the lisp file.
I'm doing a lot of testing and debugging  the interface now (and some
political decision)
 but I will make new tutorial and post it very soon .
I hope you downloaded TV3D sdk considering I plan to use the art from
it
and their doc is also a must.

cheers
bobi
From: fireblade
The next iteration of the interface and something quite more complex
goes public for less than a 2 weeks.
I'm busy working on something that is for my game , the landscape staff
actually so that's this delay come from.

bobi
From: fireblade
I'll have to postpone the release of the interface for a while.
I have a problem regarding getting complex structures from
C++ to lisp. This is very interesthing for a standard listener
debugging so I don't want to release without  it.

thanks for your patience
Slobodan
From: fireblade
The next release of the tv3d interface is online , temporary  at :
http://quick.dropfiles.net/download.php?file=c46ac9869991856b241a39f9b336abd0

Note you'll must have tv3d 6.2 sdk. I'm using their art  of course the
engine dll.

There's 2 tutorials in it : Compete landscape and complex teapot
Proto code for making you own Lisp cameras(keyboard - keyboard&mouse)
and basic loop.

What do i owe:
1.More tutorials
2.More testing
3.Put it in it's own package

We'll at the moment I'm looking for a job and as a wise man once said :
Loooking for a  job is a full time job . But I will make update soon.

cheers
bobi
From: fireblade
Implemented 2 more tutorials for the tv3d wrappers and I'm glad it
works smoothly.Basically implementing them was a piece of cake.I was so
happy that I even profiled the code and the biggest hog seems to be the
Lisp-mouse&amp;keyboard camera. Hm I wonder why ?
Anyway I'm tempted to add more classes to the interface but resisted
.No more classes untill the full testing is finished.
A few more tutorials and packaging the code and I'm ready to start
writing my game in it.
I'll publish the tutorials after the packaging the code, nice place to
export the tested and keep
internal problematic wrappers.
BTW I'll have to try some web programming seems that my chances to get
a pro job are in that field . After all I'm a financial manager.

cheers
bobi

http://blazeski.blogspot.com/
From: fireblade
I packaged the interface and wrote another tutorial for using the
Actor2 class,
the problem is that I don't have a place to host It
So anybody interested just drop me a mail I will send it to you.

cheers
bobi