From: Rachel John
Subject: compile and run Lisp
I started learning LISP few weeks back.
I have read 2-3 books on Lisp, read so many websites...i know all about
functions, macros and so on...still i don't know which compiler I
should be using for windows. how to compile and run my Lisp program. Is
CLISP can only be done through command prompt or is some GUI available.
Is there any good website where I can learn very basics of compiling
and running Lisp code. Is evaluation same as running...

From: ·······@gmail.com
Subject: Re: compile and run Lisp
Rachel John wrote:
> I started learning LISP few weeks back. ...
> still i don't know which compiler I
> should be using for windows. how to compile and run my Lisp program. Is
> CLISP can only be done through command prompt or is some GUI available.

Hi Rachel, I myself started just over a month ago.

It seems that CLISP, CMUCL, and SBCL are the popular open-source
implementations of common lisp, and LispWorks Personal Edition is very
good commercial version for trial.

As for a Windows environment, I recommend two possibles:
1. LispBox - http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/
2. Cygwin - http://www.cygwin.com (has clisp)

I'm sure the other great guys on c.l.l. can give better pointers.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Rachel John" <·············@gmail.com> writes:

> I started learning LISP few weeks back.
> I have read 2-3 books on Lisp, read so many websites...i know all about
> functions, macros and so on...still i don't know which compiler I
> should be using for windows.

Try them all and see which you like most.
In any case, each has its strong points, so you'll probably end using several.

> how to compile and run my Lisp program.

There are various answers, it depends on additionnal requirements.
Since you're a newbie, for now you can do it from the REPL:

(load (compile-file "my-pgm.lisp"))
(my-pgm:main)

> Is CLISP can only be done through command prompt or is some GUI available.

It's very hard to parse this sentence.  Could you reformulate it?

> Is there any good website where I can learn very basics of compiling
> and running Lisp code.

The only thing any lisp tutorial does is explaining the basics of
running lisp code.  Compilation is an implementation detail.  Some
implementations compile everything (eg. sbcl), some implementations
only compile when asked (using COMPILE or COMPILE-FILE).  That's all
there is to it.

> Is evaluation same as running...

Yes.

"This statement is false."            In Lisp: (defun Q () (eq nil (Q)))
From: justinhj
Rachel John wrote:
> I started learning LISP few weeks back.
> I have read 2-3 books on Lisp, read so many websites...i know all about
> functions, macros and so on...still i don't know which compiler I
> should be using for windows. how to compile and run my Lisp program. Is
> CLISP can only be done through command prompt or is some GUI available.
> Is there any good website where I can learn very basics of compiling
> and running Lisp code. Is evaluation same as running...

Others have mentioned Allegro and Lispworks which do not produce .exe
files unless you register the full versions and they are priced pretty
high for the hobbiest.

Another alternative is Corman Lisp which produces .exe's, even the
trial version and costs a lot less.

http://www.cormanlisp.com/

Justin
From: Kenny Tilton
Rachel John wrote:
> I started learning LISP few weeks back.
> I have read 2-3 books on Lisp, read so many websites...i know all about
> functions, macros and so on...still i don't know which compiler I
> should be using for windows.

AllegroCL is great: http://www.franz.com/downloads/

Lispworks is also a fine environment, but I think the IDE could be stronger.

This are both somewhat crippled and licensed only for personal study or
something. But if you start with AllegroCL, their site says they will be
releasing a free "express" edition in a few weeks. They do not say more,
but if it parallels VC++ Express it should be un-crippled but with some
extensions not included. No clue what the license would be.

> how to compile and run my Lisp program. Is
> CLISP can only be done through command prompt or is some GUI available.

I /have/ run Visual Lisp which is an IDE for CLisp. Other folks use
Emacs+Slime.

> Is there any good website where I can learn very basics of compiling
> and running Lisp code. Is evaluation same as running...

ACL, LW, and MCL let you build standalone exes, but normally Lisp
developers do not build exes during development, they just evaluate some
lisp form such as:

    (run-tests)

...and away you go. AllegroCL has a nice Project Manager you might be
accustomed to from other languages, and with that there is a "Run
Project" menu item that kicks off a function you specify (such as
'run-tests).

Have you discovered Practical Common Lisp in your surfing?

kenny