From: Alexis Gallagher
Subject: CL library for point-set theory
Hello,

I was wondering if there's a CL library that supports sets as a data
structure and operations in elementary topology.

I'd like not only the set as a basic data structure, but higher order
operations that let me generate powersets, test if a set and a set of
open sets define a topology, generate the open sets from a topological
basis set, convert between neighborhood functions and accessibility
relations, etc..

I know that CL includes the functions union, intersection, and subset.
Using these I defined an equality relation for sets on proper lists.
 From there I've stated to build up some of the functions I needed
(powerset, cartesian product, etc..).

But as I keep working, I suspect just using proper lists for sets is
quite inadequate, as I am starting to run into subtleties involving sets
defined as ordered pairs, sets of sets, correct handling of the empty
set, etc.. I'm not sure if I should define a set class using CLOS, or
what, since I'm quite new to common lisp (longtime lurker, first time
poster here). So I'm also wondering if someone else has already done
this properly, or at least defined a set data structure I can build off.

I checked the cl-directory, google, and the other usual suspects, and
didn't find anything besides a scheme library called "galore", which I
suppose I could port parts of.

Thanks,
alexis

From: Nicolas Neuss
Subject: Re: CL library for point-set theory
Alexis Gallagher <······@alexisgallagher.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there's a CL library that supports sets as a data
> structure and operations in elementary topology.

Maybe those links are interesting for you:

http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~sergerar/Kenzo/
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/SimLab/

Yours, Nicolas.
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:57:14 +0100, Nicolas Neuss
<··················@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> tried to confuse everyone
with this message:

>Alexis Gallagher <······@alexisgallagher.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering if there's a CL library that supports sets as a data
>> structure and operations in elementary topology.
>
>Maybe those links are interesting for you:
>
>http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~sergerar/Kenzo/

Wow, this program is amazing. Sadly it is unaware of such concepts as
packages and ASDF, and the fact that it's working on CLISP (you have to
change +compiled-extension+ constant). Too bad I'm not a topologist so I
can't get the most out of this program - homologies are one thing I
never understood.

--
|(except for ending slavery,  ||mail: grue at mail.ru ================ |
|   fascism and communism)    ||============= http://grue3.tripod.com  |