From: Ben
Subject: Problem with lispbox
Hello,

I just downloaded lispbox 0.7 (for Windows), and I'm having a bit of a
problem.  It gets as far as saying "Connecting to Swank on port 3115"
(or some such port) and then stops.  In the "inferior-lisp" buffer, it
says Swank was started, but the slime-repl never starts.

I installed this on a different machine earlier today, and it worked
great.

My thoughts are that I have another, earlier version of lispbox (or
lisp in a box) on this machine, which I guess could cause issues.
Also, I thought it might be an issue with ZoneAlarm, though I  can't
find where I have anything blocked.

Thoughts?  Any help would be great.  Thanks!

From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Re: Problem with lispbox
"Ben" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I just downloaded lispbox 0.7 (for Windows), and I'm having a bit of a
> problem.  It gets as far as saying "Connecting to Swank on port 3115"
> (or some such port) and then stops.  In the "inferior-lisp" buffer, it
> says Swank was started, but the slime-repl never starts.
>
> I installed this on a different machine earlier today, and it worked
> great.
>
> My thoughts are that I have another, earlier version of lispbox (or
> lisp in a box) on this machine, which I guess could cause issues.
> Also, I thought it might be an issue with ZoneAlarm, though I  can't
> find where I have anything blocked.

At least one person has had trouble with some software-based firewall
that was disallowing the connection from Emacs to Lisp (which is over
a socket) and that is consistent with the symptoms you describe.
Unfortunately I don't know anything about ZoneAlarm and so can't tell
you how to check whether that might, in fact, be your problem.

The earlier installation *shouldn't* cause any problem, as long as you
didn't do something odd like unpack one overtop the other. But who
knows? My money is still on ZoneAlarm or someother software firewall.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Ben
Okay, I disabled ZoneAlarm, and LispBox loaded like a charm.

Now that I know where the problem is, I'll see if I can get ZoneAlarm
to play nice.

Thanks for the help!
-Ben