From: Jonathon McKitrick
Subject: And now... a totally trivial question about emacs/slime color preferences
Obviously a matter of choice, but has anyone found a scheme that is
easy on the eyes and also works well with (IIRC) parenface, for
somewhat darkening the parens?

From: Tim X
"Jonathon McKitrick" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Obviously a matter of choice, but has anyone found a scheme that is
> easy on the eyes and also works well with (IIRC) parenface, for
> somewhat darkening the parens?

Very much a matter of taste. However, you may want to try out
color-theme.el. This is an emacs package which allows you to switch
between various different color themes quickly and easily. It comes
with a fair number of pre-defined themes and you can easily define
your own new ones.

You can probably find out more about it at the emacs wiki site
<http://www.emacswiki.org> or if your running Debian, install it with
'apt-get install color-theme'

Tim

--
Tim Cross
From: Jonathon McKitrick
Tim X wrote:
> Very much a matter of taste. However, you may want to try out
> color-theme.el. This is an emacs package which allows you to switch
> between various different color themes quickly and easily. It comes
> with a fair number of pre-defined themes and you can easily define
> your own new ones.

Excellent!  Now I have something to do this morning.  Why code lisp
when you can play pick-the-best-color-theme on emacs?
From: Gary King
On 2006-02-14 07:36:10 -0500, "Jonathon McKitrick"
<···········@bigfoot.com> said:

> Tim X wrote:
>> Very much a matter of taste. However, you may want to try out
>> color-theme.el. This is an emacs package which allows you to switch
>> between various different color themes quickly and easily. It comes
>> with a fair number of pre-defined themes and you can easily define
>> your own new ones.
>
> Excellent!  Now I have something to do this morning.  Why code lisp
> when you can play pick-the-best-color-theme on emacs?

I think you should write a genetic algorithm that slowly learns the
color set that you are most productive in (based on ... I don't know,
the phase of the moon). That way, you can code and pick colors at the
same time!

<smile>
--
Gary Warren King
metabang.com
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Gary King wrote:
> On 2006-02-14 07:36:10 -0500, "Jonathon McKitrick"
> <···········@bigfoot.com> said:
>
> > Excellent!  Now I have something to do this morning.  Why code lisp
> > when you can play pick-the-best-color-theme on emacs?
>
> I think you should write a genetic algorithm that slowly learns the
> color set that you are most productive in (based on ... I don't know,
> the phase of the moon). That way, you can code and pick colors at the
> same time!

What I think would work really well is random minor alterations in
color every day. With a key that allows you to randomly choose another
one if somehow it doesn't work out nicely. People keep saying such
microchanges help keep the mind awake.

Funny this came up, as I just was sitting around looking for a better
color than Slime's evil default red for repl returnvals, and fixing
LOOP defaults that drove me nuts.

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(lisp-loop-forms-indentation 8)
 '(lisp-loop-keyword-indentation 6))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(slime-repl-inputed-output-face ((t (:foreground "#ffdead")))))

(defun common-lisp-loop-part-indentation (indent-point state)
  "Compute the indentation of loop form constituents."
  (let* ((loop-indentation (save-excursion
                             (goto-char (elt state 1))
                             (current-column))))
    (goto-char indent-point)
    (beginning-of-line)
    (cond ((not (extended-loop-p (elt state 1)))
           (+ loop-indentation lisp-simple-loop-indentation))
          ;; after hitting enter, default to
          ;; lisp-loop-keyword-indentation
          ((looking-at "^\\s-*$")
           (+ loop-indentation lisp-loop-keyword-indentation))
          ;; whitespace, then word constituent or semicolon
          ((looking-at "^\\s-*\\(:?\\sw+\\|;\\)")
           (+ loop-indentation lisp-loop-keyword-indentation))
          (t
           (+ loop-indentation lisp-loop-forms-indentation)))))

Tayssir
From: Jonathon McKitrick
Gary King wrote:
> I think you should write a genetic algorithm that slowly learns the
> color set that you are most productive in (based on ... I don't know,
> the phase of the moon). That way, you can code and pick colors at the
> same time!

I think I have it figured out: I have three themes... one for when it
is bright in the room, one for when it is dark, and one for strong
glare on the screen.

I think that covers the most important ones.  ;-)
From: Tim X
"Jonathon McKitrick" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Tim X wrote:
> > Very much a matter of taste. However, you may want to try out
> > color-theme.el. This is an emacs package which allows you to switch
> > between various different color themes quickly and easily. It comes
> > with a fair number of pre-defined themes and you can easily define
> > your own new ones.
>
> Excellent!  Now I have something to do this morning.  Why code lisp
> when you can play pick-the-best-color-theme on emacs?

I remember seeing som research from a few years back where they found
that re-arranging desktop icons and colours was wasting something in
excess of 25% of staffs time in the group surveyed - so I guess you
won't be alone! ;-)

Tim
--
Tim Cross
From: funkyj
aside from this:

 (28:0) $ type emacs
emacs is aliased to `emacs -fg gray92 -bg black'

I use the default color scheme.  With black background red and other
stuff shows up nicely.