From: WoodHacker
Subject: Disappearing Windows
Hi,

Has anyone ever seen this and/or know how to fix it?   I'm running CLX
under SBCL and use Blackbox as my window manager.    I paint the screen
and everything is fine.   However, when I switch to another
screen/workspace and then come back, all my windows are gone except for
the top window.

What makes this really odd, is that I get a visibility-notify event
that allows me to repaint my windows, which I do.   I have debug
statements that show the windows are being exposed and drawn.  They
just don't show up.     I'm sort of at a loss as to what's wrong.

Bill

From: David Trudgett
Subject: Re: Disappearing Windows
"WoodHacker" <·······@comcast.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone ever seen this and/or know how to fix it?   I'm running CLX
> under SBCL and use Blackbox as my window manager.    I paint the screen
> and everything is fine.   However, when I switch to another
> screen/workspace and then come back, all my windows are gone except for
> the top window.

I get a similar sort of behaviour in my fractals code, but the
behaviour is expected because of the way I'm currently doing things (I
basically pause an event processing loop while I display another
window).

> What makes this really odd, is that I get a visibility-notify event
> that allows me to repaint my windows, which I do.   I have debug

Shouldn't you be doing this on :exposure events? That's what I do, at
least, but I'm just learning CLX myself. It seems to work for me, though.

David

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

Beware of bugs in the above code;
I have only proved it correct, not tried it.

    -- Donald Knuth (1977)
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
WoodHacker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone ever seen this and/or know how to fix it?   I'm running CLX
> under SBCL and use Blackbox as my window manager.    I paint the screen
> and everything is fine.   However, when I switch to another
> screen/workspace and then come back, all my windows are gone except for
> the top window.
>
> What makes this really odd, is that I get a visibility-notify event
> that allows me to repaint my windows, which I do.   I have debug
> statements that show the windows are being exposed and drawn.  They
> just don't show up.     I'm sort of at a loss as to what's wrong.

Hm, maybe the WM unmaps your windows when switching workspaces, so when
you return, you need to see if your window is mapped, is exposed, etc.

--
Suffering from Gates-induced brain leakage...