From: bradb
Subject: Lisp on Intel Macs
I will soon be in the market for a new computer (yah, tax rebate!), and
I am considering one of the Intel based Macs.  I thought that I would
start this thread to try and get a rough overview of the state of
various Lisp implementations on x86 OSX.
So
 - Which Lisps work completely?
 - Which Lisps are actively being worked on to run on x86 OSX, and how
far along are they?
 - Which Lisps don't work, and really have no plans to work?
 - Any thing else you feel like saying.

The only reference that I have seen is from Lemondor,
http://lemonodor.com/archives/001334.html#comments

I suspect that SBCL shouldn't take too much effort to get running
(since it already supports x86 & OSX but not combined), but will not
support threading.

Cheers
Brad

From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: Lisp on Intel Macs
"bradb" <··············@gmail.com> writes:

> I am considering one of the Intel based Macs.  I thought that I would
> start this thread to try and get a rough overview of the state of
> various Lisp implementations on x86 OSX.
> So
[...]
>  - Which Lisps are actively being worked on to run on x86 OSX, and how
> far along are they?

This seems relevant:

  OpenMCL for Intel-based Macs?
  http://lispm.dyndns.org/news?ID=NEWS-2005-08-24-2

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: ······@corporate-world.lisp.de
Paolo Amoroso wrote:
> "bradb" <··············@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am considering one of the Intel based Macs.  I thought that I would
> > start this thread to try and get a rough overview of the state of
> > various Lisp implementations on x86 OSX.
> > So
> [...]
> >  - Which Lisps are actively being worked on to run on x86 OSX, and how
> > far along are they?
>
> This seems relevant:
>
>   OpenMCL for Intel-based Macs?
>   http://lispm.dyndns.org/news?ID=NEWS-2005-08-24-2

See:
http://clozure.com/pipermail/openmcl-devel/2006-January/003127.html

"Clozure does have a contract to port OpenMCL to x86-64
(AMD64) Linux, work is underway on this, and it's expected to be
available in 2Q 2006."

So, no Mac (which is using 32bit Intel CPUs) and no Mac OS X this time.

From: Pascal Bourguignon
"bradb" <··············@gmail.com> writes:

> I will soon be in the market for a new computer (yah, tax rebate!), and
> I am considering one of the Intel based Macs.  I thought that I would
> start this thread to try and get a rough overview of the state of
> various Lisp implementations on x86 OSX.
> So
>  - Which Lisps work completely?

clisp

I'd bet ecl and gcl will work too. (Thanks, gcc).

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.
From: Michael Price
On 2006-02-08, Pascal Bourguignon <······@informatimago.com> wrote:
> >  - Which Lisps work completely?
>
>  clisp
>
>  I'd bet ecl and gcl will work too. (Thanks, gcc).

Hmmm. I haven't been able to get any recent version of gcl working on a
powerpc mac. Anyone else had luck in that regard?

Michael
From: verec
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:44:08 +0000, verec <·····@mac.com> wrote:

> On gmane.lisp.lispworks.general, there are reports that the current
> PPC version of LispWorks runs on intel chips (via Rosetta), albeit,
> apparently, very slowly at times,

See also the message from Martin Simmons (from LispWorks) in this
thread:

  <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.lispworks.general/5316>

  "There will be an Intel native Mac version of LispWorks 5.0, which
   is due in Q2 this year."

(Might take some minutes before it appears on Gmane.)

Cheers,
Edi.

--

European Common Lisp Meeting 2006: <http://weitz.de/eclm2006/>