From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: 'Exoctic' Programming Tools Go Mainstream
Strike: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1917191,00.asp

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
Closer to MOP & ContextL:
http://common-lisp.net/project/closer/

From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Subject: Re: 'Exoctic' Programming Tools Go Mainstream
Pascal Costanza wrote:
> Strike: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1917191,00.asp

It is a bit jarring to read a mainstream article where the author
casually mentions the difference between interpreted and compiled
speeds. It is like being momentarily transported to some utopia where
people make informed comments; maybe they make errors but they're
always honest and quickly retracted after due thought.

Of course, it was puzzling until I read his bio:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Coffee

Tayssir

--
"Let's talk about the question of why people are wealthy. There is a
myth that it's a function of enormous personal attributes. [...] The

-- Bill Gates Sr., 2003
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/publications/template.cfm?PubID=900584
From: Alan Crowe
"Tayssir John Gabbour" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:
> Pascal Costanza wrote:
> > Strike: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1917191,00.asp
>
> It is a bit jarring to read a mainstream article where the author
> casually mentions the difference between interpreted and compiled
> speeds. It is like being momentarily transported to some utopia where
> people make informed comments; maybe they make errors but they're
> always honest and quickly retracted after due thought.
>
> Of course, it was puzzling until I read his bio:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Coffee

It is also wonderful to see a mainstream report grasping
subtle issues of statistical inference:

    ... a tour of about 20 software tools that could generate
    models consistent with data, but not overfitted to
    specific values to the point of losing predictive power.

Alan Crowe
Edinburgh
Scotland
From: Lars Brinkhoff
"Tayssir John Gabbour" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:
> Pascal Costanza wrote:
> > Strike: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1917191,00.asp
> It is a bit jarring to read a mainstream article where the author
> casually mentions the difference between interpreted and compiled
> speeds.  [...]  Of course, it was puzzling until I read his bio:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Coffee

Blogs now point to strike two:

Searching the eWeek site for "Lisp", it seems like Peter Coffee has
been sneaking in Lisp advocacy in his articles for many years.
From: Matthew D Swank
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:07:43 +0100, Pascal Costanza wrote:

> Strike: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1917191,00.asp
>
> Pascal

Btw, does anyone know what the feature set on the Allegro CL 8.0 "Express
Edition" will be?

Matt

--
"You do not really understand something unless you can
 explain it to your grandmother." — Albert Einstein.