From: Percy
Subject: debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
HI,

I am new to LISP.
I am using MAC OS X version 10.4.
I am using aquamacs Emacs.
I have downloaded slime from
http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?root=slime
And i am using SBCL.
When i tried to run the slime using M-x. i encounterd following error.

(load "/Users/hrush/slime/swank-loader.lisp" :verbose t)
(swank:start-server "/tmp/slime.394" :external-format
:iso-latin-1-unix)

This is SBCL 0.9.7, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.

SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
BSD-style licenses.  See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
distribution for more information.
*
; compiling file "/Users/hrush/slime/swank-backend.lisp" (written 31
JAN 2006 01:26:55 AM):

; /Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank-backend.fasl
written
; compilation finished in 0:00:04
#P"/Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank-backend.fasl"
WARNING: SWANK-BACKEND also exports the following symbols:
 (SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-WEAK-VALUE-HASH-TABLE
SWANK-BACKEND:FRAME-CATCH-TAGS

SWANK-BACKEND:ADD-SIGIO-HANDLER

SWANK-BACKEND:FORMAT-SLDB-CONDITION

SWANK-BACKEND:PROFILE-PACKAGE
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:RESTART-FRAME

SWANK-BACKEND:DEFAULT-DIRECTORY

SWANK-BACKEND:FRAME-SOURCE-LOCATION-FOR-EMACS

SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-WEAK-KEY-HASH-TABLE

SWANK-BACKEND:COMPUTE-BACKTRACE

SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-DEBUGGER-HOOK

SWANK-BACKEND:INITIALIZE-MULTIPROCESSING
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:LIST-CALLEES

SWANK-BACKEND:REMOVE-FD-HANDLERS
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:RECEIVE

SWANK-BACKEND:COMPILER-MACROEXPAND-1

SWANK-BACKEND:REMOVE-SIGIO-HANDLERS

SWANK-BACKEND:ACCEPT-CONNECTION
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:THREAD-NAME
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:UNPROFILE
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:TOGGLE-TRACE
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:THREAD-ALIVE-P
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:CLOSE-SOCKET

SWANK-BACKEND:DESCRIBE-SYMBOL-FOR-EMACS
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:SPAWN

SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-DEFAULT-INSPECTOR

SWANK-BACKEND:SLDB-BREAK-AT-START

SWANK-BACKEND:FIND-DEFINITIONS

SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-SPECIALIZES
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:THREAD-STATUS

SWANK-BACKEND:CONDITION-EXTRAS
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:FUNCTION-NAME

SWANK-BACKEND:OPERATE-ON-SYSTEM
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:UNPROFILE-ALL
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:EVAL-IN-FRAME
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:FIND-THREAD

SWANK-BACKEND:SLDB-BREAK-ON-RETURN
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-REFERENCES
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:LOCAL-PORT

SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-DEBUGGING-ENVIRONMENT

SWANK-BACKEND:PROFILED-FUNCTIONS
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:SEND

SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-SYNTAX-HOOKS

SWANK-BACKEND:EMACS-CONNECTED
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-BINDS
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-LOCK
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:CREATE-SOCKET

SWANK-BACKEND:BUFFER-FIRST-CHANGE

SWANK-BACKEND:SET-DEFAULT-DIRECTORY
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:PROFILE-RESET

SWANK-BACKEND:FRAME-VAR-VALUE

SWANK-BACKEND:MACROEXPAND-ALL
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:CURRENT-THREAD

SWANK-BACKEND:STARTUP-IDLE-AND-TOP-LEVEL-LOOPS

SWANK-BACKEND:ACTIVATE-STEPPING

SWANK-BACKEND:DISASSEMBLE-FRAME

SWANK-BACKEND:SWANK-COMPILE-FILE
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:PROFILE-REPORT

SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-LOCK-HELD
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:FRAME-LOCALS
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:ALL-THREADS

SWANK-BACKEND:DESCRIBE-DEFINITION
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-SETS

SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITH-COMPILATION-HOOKS

SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-FN-STREAMS

SWANK-BACKEND:LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-TYPE-NAME
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:ARGLIST

SWANK-BACKEND:RETURN-FROM-FRAME
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:LIST-CALLERS

SWANK-BACKEND:PREFERRED-COMMUNICATION-STYLE
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:ADD-FD-HANDLER
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:KILL-THREAD

SWANK-BACKEND:CALL-WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS

SWANK-BACKEND:COMPILER-MACROEXPAND

SWANK-BACKEND:CONDITION-REFERENCES
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:THREAD-ID
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:PRINT-FRAME
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID

SWANK-BACKEND:DESCRIBE-PRIMITIVE-TYPE
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:PROFILE

SWANK-BACKEND:SWANK-COMPILE-STRING

SWANK-BACKEND:MAKE-STREAM-INTERACTIVE

SWANK-BACKEND:DEFAULT-READTABLE-ALIST
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-CALLS

SWANK-BACKEND:INTERRUPT-THREAD

SWANK-BACKEND:INSTALL-DEBUGGER-GLOBALLY

SWANK-BACKEND:WHO-MACROEXPANDS
                                           SWANK-BACKEND:CALLS-WHO)
See also:
 The ANSI Standard, Macro DEFPACKAGE
; compiling file "/Users/hrush/slime/nregex.lisp" (written 19 SEP 2005
01:50:48 PM):

; /Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/nregex.fasl written
; compilation finished in 0:00:01
#P"/Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/nregex.fasl"
; compiling file "/Users/hrush/slime/swank-sbcl.lisp" (written 21 JAN
2006 03:01:20 AM):
compilation aborted because of fatal error:
 READ failure in COMPILE-FILE:
   READER-ERROR at 1066 (line 42, column 41) on #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM
for "file /Users/hrush/slime/swank-sbcl.lisp" {1036A8B1}>:
package "SB-BSD-SOCKETS" not found

; /Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank-sbcl.fasl
written
; compilation finished in 0:00:01
#P"/Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank-sbcl.fasl"
STYLE-WARNING: redefining PREFERRED-COMMUNICATION-STYLE NIL in
DEFMETHOD
; compiling file "/Users/hrush/slime/swank-source-path-parser.lisp"
(written 07 NOV 2005 01:54:32 PM):

;
/Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank-source-path-parser.fasl
written
; compilation finished in 0:00:00
#P"/Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank-source-path-parser.fasl"
; compiling file "/Users/hrush/slime/swank-source-file-cache.lisp"
(written 30 AUG 2005 01:32:58 AM):

;
/Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank-source-file-cache.fasl
written
; compilation finished in 0:00:00
#P"/Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank-source-file-cache.fasl"
STYLE-WARNING: redefining BUFFER-FIRST-CHANGE (T) in DEFMETHOD
; compiling file "/Users/hrush/slime/swank-gray.lisp" (written 23 SEP
2005 01:45:11 AM):

; /Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank-gray.fasl
written
; compilation finished in 0:00:02
#P"/Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank-gray.fasl"
STYLE-WARNING:
  implicitly creating new generic function STREAM-READ-CHAR-WILL-HANG-P
; compiling file "/Users/hrush/slime/swank.lisp" (written 31 JAN 2006
01:26:55 AM):

; /Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank.fasl written
; compilation finished in 0:00:10
#P"/Users/hrush/.slime/fasl/sbcl-0.9.7-darwin-ppc/swank.fasl"
WARNING: SWANK also exports the following symbols:
 (SWANK:INIT-INSPECTOR SWANK:INSPECT-IN-FRAME
                       SWANK:INSPECT-NTH-PART
                       SWANK:GET-REPL-RESULT
                       SWANK:XREF
                       SWANK:TAKE-INPUT
                       SWANK:START-SWANK-SERVER-IN-THREAD
                       SWANK:INSPECT-FRAME-VAR
                       SWANK:SWANK-MACROEXPAND
                       SWANK:LOAD-FILE-SET-PACKAGE
                       SWANK:APROPOS-LIST-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:DESCRIBE-FUNCTION
                       SWANK:COMPLETE-FORM
                       SWANK:SLDB-BREAK-WITH-DEFAULT-DEBUGGER
                       SWANK:COMMIT-EDITED-VALUE
                       SWANK:INSPECTOR-POP
                       SWANK:TOGGLE-PROFILE-FDEFINITION
                       SWANK:LIST-ALL-PACKAGE-NAMES
                       SWANK:SLDB-DISASSEMBLE
                       SWANK:FUZZY-COMPLETION-SELECTED
                       SWANK:INSPECTOR-REINSPECT
                       SWANK:LISTENER-EVAL
                       SWANK:LIST-THREADS
                       SWANK:QUIT-INSPECTOR
                       SWANK:REPL-EVAL-HOOK-PASS
                       SWANK:DOCUMENTATION-SYMBOL
                       SWANK:DESCRIBE-INSPECTEE
                       SWANK:DISASSEMBLE-SYMBOL
                       SWANK:BACKTRACE
                       SWANK:INVOKE-NTH-RESTART-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:REPL-SUPPRESS-ADVANCE-HISTORY
                       SWANK:RE-EVALUATE-DEFVAR
                       SWANK:FIND-DEFINITIONS-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:PPRINT-EVAL-STRING-IN-FRAME
                       SWANK:DESCRIBE-SYMBOL
                       SWANK:FRAME-LOCALS-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:DEBUGGER-INFO-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:REPL-SUPPRESS-OUTPUT
                       SWANK:ARGLIST-FOR-INSERTION
                       SWANK:CLEAR-REPL-RESULTS
                       SWANK:SLDB-ABORT
                       SWANK:SLDB-RETURN-FROM-FRAME
                       SWANK:FRAME-CATCH-TAGS-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:SWANK-TOGGLE-TRACE
                       SWANK:UNTRACE-ALL
                       SWANK:SIMPLE-COMPLETIONS
                       SWANK:KILL-NTH-THREAD
                       SWANK:EVAL-STRING-IN-FRAME
                       SWANK:OPERATE-ON-SYSTEM-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:THROW-TO-TOPLEVEL
                       SWANK:COMPILER-NOTES-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:UPDATE-INDENTATION-INFORMATION
                       SWANK:VARIABLE-DESC-FOR-ECHO-AREA
                       SWANK:INTERACTIVE-EVAL
                       SWANK:PPRINT-INSPECTOR-PART
                       SWANK:COMPILE-FILE-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:SWANK-COMPILER-MACROEXPAND-1
                       SWANK:SET-PACKAGE
                       SWANK:INVOKE-NTH-RESTART
                       SWANK:INSPECTOR-NEXT
                       SWANK:DEBUG-NTH-THREAD
                       SWANK:SWANK-MACROEXPAND-1
                       SWANK:SLDB-CONTINUE
                       SWANK:DESCRIBE-DEFINITION-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:COMPILE-FILE-IF-NEEDED
                       SWANK:INSPECTOR-CALL-NTH-ACTION
                       SWANK:SIMPLE-BREAK
                       SWANK:STATE-STACK
                       SWANK:SWANK-MACROEXPAND-ALL
                       SWANK:PPRINT-EVAL
                       SWANK:LOAD-FILE
                       SWANK:ARGLIST-FOR-ECHO-AREA
                       SWANK:CONNECTION-INFO
                       SWANK:EVAL-AND-GRAB-OUTPUT
                       SWANK:IO-SPEED-TEST
                       SWANK:UNDEFINE-FUNCTION
                       SWANK:COMPILE-STRING-FOR-EMACS
                       SWANK:MOP
                       SWANK:INTERACTIVE-EVAL-REGION
                       SWANK:SWANK-COMPILER-MACROEXPAND
                       SWANK:COMPLETIONS
                       SWANK:LIST-ALL-SYSTEMS-IN-CENTRAL-REGISTRY
                       SWANK:VALUE-FOR-EDITING
                       SWANK:INSPECT-CURRENT-CONDITION
                       SWANK:INSPECTOR-NTH-PART
                       SWANK:FUZZY-COMPLETIONS
                       SWANK:QUIT-THREAD-BROWSER)
See also:
 The ANSI Standard, Macro DEFPACKAGE
STYLE-WARNING: redefining PREFIXED-VAR in DEFUN
STYLE-WARNING:
  implicitly creating new generic function INSPECT-BIGGER-PIECE-ACTIONS
STYLE-WARNING:
  implicitly creating new generic function INSPECT-WHOLE-THING-ACTION
STYLE-WARNING: implicitly creating new generic function
INSPECT-SHOW-MORE-ACTION
STYLE-WARNING:
  implicitly creating new generic function
MENU-CHOICES-FOR-PRESENTATION
;
; compilation unit finished
;   caught 1 fatal ERROR condition
WARNING: These Swank interfaces are unimplemented:
 (ACCEPT-CONNECTION ACTIVATE-STEPPING
                   ADD-FD-HANDLER
                   ADD-SIGIO-HANDLER
                   ALL-THREADS
                   CALL-WITH-COMPILATION-HOOKS
                   CALL-WITH-DEBUGGING-ENVIRONMENT
                   CALLS-WHO
                   CLOSE-SOCKET
                   COMPUTE-BACKTRACE
                   CREATE-SOCKET
                   DESCRIBE-DEFINITION
                   DESCRIBE-SYMBOL-FOR-EMACS
                   DISASSEMBLE-FRAME
                   EVAL-IN-FRAME
                   FIND-DEFINITIONS
                   FIND-THREAD
                   FRAME-CATCH-TAGS
                   FRAME-LOCALS
                   FRAME-SOURCE-LOCATION-FOR-EMACS
                   FRAME-VAR-VALUE
                   GETPID
                   INSPECT-FOR-EMACS
                   INTERRUPT-THREAD
                   LIST-CALLEES
                   LIST-CALLERS
                   LOCAL-PORT
                   MACROEXPAND-ALL
                   MAKE-DEFAULT-INSPECTOR
                   PRINT-FRAME
                   PROFILE
                   PROFILE-PACKAGE
                   PROFILE-REPORT
                   PROFILE-RESET
                   PROFILED-FUNCTIONS
                   QUIT-LISP
                   RECEIVE
                   REMOVE-FD-HANDLERS
                   REMOVE-SIGIO-HANDLERS
                   RESTART-FRAME
                   RETURN-FROM-FRAME
                   SEND
                   SLDB-BREAK-AT-START
                   SLDB-BREAK-ON-RETURN
                   SPAWN
                   SWANK-COMPILE-FILE
                   SWANK-COMPILE-STRING
                   THREAD-ID
                   TOGGLE-TRACE
                   UNPROFILE
                   WHO-BINDS
                   WHO-CALLS
                   WHO-MACROEXPANDS
                   WHO-REFERENCES
                   WHO-SETS
                   WHO-SPECIALIZES)
*
debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
 There is no applicable method for the generic function
   #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION SWANK-BACKEND:CREATE-SOCKET (0)>
 when called with arguments
   ("127.0.0.1" 0).

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
 0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

((SB-PCL::FAST-METHOD NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD (T))
 #<unavailable argument>
 #<unavailable argument>
 #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION SWANK-BACKEND:CREATE-SOCKET (0)>
 ("127.0.0.1" 0))
0] 0

While i was searching on the net i came across page
http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/slime-devel/2005-October/004179.html

I tried allthe things still things are not working.

can you please help me out.

,Percy.

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
+ "Percy" <··················@gmail.com>:

| I have downloaded slime from
| http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?root=slime
| And i am using SBCL.
| [...]
| This is SBCL 0.9.7, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.

You MUST get slime from CVS with such recent SBCL.  The packaged
slimes won't work.

This comes up often enough, I wonder if it had been better if slime
got bundled with sbcl.  OTOH, maybe the bits of sbcl that slime
interfaces with will soon stabilize sufficiently that this problem
will go away.  One might hope.

  -- Bertrand Russell
From: Edi Weitz
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 21:00:17 +0100, Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> wrote:

> + "Percy" <··················@gmail.com>:
>
> | I have downloaded slime from
> | http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?root=slime
>
> You MUST get slime from CVS with such recent SBCL.

Seems like he did exactly that.  Check the link you quoted.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de>:

| On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 21:00:17 +0100, Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
|
|> + "Percy" <··················@gmail.com>:
|>
|> | I have downloaded slime from
|> | http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?root=slime
|>
|> You MUST get slime from CVS with such recent SBCL.
|
| Seems like he did exactly that.  Check the link you quoted.

Oh.  You mean the tarball there is built from CVS on the fly?
I had been under the impression that all slime tarballs were old.

Anyway, the OP asked the same question on the slime-devel mailing
list, which is more appropriate anyway.  So let's drop the matter in
this forum.

  -- Bertrand Russell
From: Percy
Actully i have discovered that the problem is the following:

"file /Users/hrush/slime/swank-sbcl.lisp" {1036B851}>:
package "SB-BSD-SOCKETS" not found

can you help me out in this.

Thank you for your responses.

,percy.

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ "Percy" <··················@gmail.com>:

| ; compiling file "/Users/hrush/slime/swank-sbcl.lisp" (written 21 JAN
| 2006 03:01:20 AM):
| compilation aborted because of fatal error:
|   READ failure in COMPILE-FILE:
|     READER-ERROR at 1066 (line 42, column 41) on #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for
| "file /Users/hrush/slime/swank-sbcl.lisp" {1036B851}>:
| package "SB-BSD-SOCKETS" not found
|
| can you help me out in this.

I don't know.  This kind of implementation- or application-specific
questions don't draw a lot of response on the newsgroup, as you can
see.  The mailing lists are better, I suppose.  But I can offer one
minor observation:  Given that swank-sbcl.lisp contains the following
near the top

  (require 'sb-bsd-sockets)
  (require 'sb-introspect)
  (require 'sb-posix))

there should be no way for the error you are seeing to happen.  So
something is messed up in your environment, and I can't begin to guess
what.  You might wish to begin by typing these at the command prompt
in a freshly started sbcl and see what happens:

(require :sb-bsd-sockets)
(find-package :sb-bsd-sockets)

On my sbcl, the first one returns ("SB-GROVEL" "SB-BSD-SOCKETS"), or
nil if you run it again, and the second succeeds in finding the
package.  If these fail, your sbcl installation is messed up and needs
to be redone.

Oh.  Caveat:  I am a unix user.  If you're on Windows, I haven't the
foggiest idea what does or should happen.

  -- Bertrand Russell