From: ··········@bellsouth.net
Subject: Jove in CL
Jove, as you probably know, is a small, fast Emacs-like editor.
Schemers like it.  It's written in C and terminal based:

ftp://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/moraes/jove/

I'm thinking about doing a CL port using GTK+ for the interface.  I'm
aware of the Climacs and P-Hemlock efforts, but I would like to use
GTK+.

A small, fast Emacs written entirely in CL, using GTK+ could be the
first of a whole collection of GTK tools, using one of the several
Lisp/GTK interfaces.

Any thoughts?

From: Robert Uhl
Subject: Re: Jove in CL
··········@bellsouth.net writes:

> A small, fast Emacs written entirely in CL, using GTK+ could be the
> first of a whole collection of GTK tools, using one of the several
> Lisp/GTK interfaces.
>
> Any thoughts?

Sounds cool--good luck with it.  Make sure that you retain console
capabilities.  Also, an elisp compatibility layer would give you a good
leg up on functionality...

The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the
question of whether a submarine can swim.               --Edsger W. Dijkstra
From: Troels Henriksen
Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> writes:

> Make sure that you retain console capabilities.

I wish to stress this point. My only major gripe with Climacs is its
dependency on a graphical interface, and I would readily use a fast,
terminal-based editor for quick edits.

--
\  Troels "Athas" Henriksen
/\ sigkill.dk/blog (Danish)
From: Robert Strandh
Troels Henriksen <·····@sigkill.dk> writes:

> Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> writes:
>
> > Make sure that you retain console capabilities.
>
> I wish to stress this point. My only major gripe with Climacs is its
> dependency on a graphical interface, and I would readily use a fast,
> terminal-based editor for quick edits.

The right way to make Climacs work on a console might be to write a
text-based (curses?) backend for McCLIM.

--
Robert Strandh
From: Wade Humeniuk
··········@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Jove, as you probably know, is a small, fast Emacs-like editor.
> Schemers like it.  It's written in C and terminal based:
>
> ftp://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/moraes/jove/
>
> I'm thinking about doing a CL port using GTK+ for the interface.  I'm
> aware of the Climacs and P-Hemlock efforts, but I would like to use
> GTK+.
>
> A small, fast Emacs written entirely in CL, using GTK+ could be the
> first of a whole collection of GTK tools, using one of the several
> Lisp/GTK interfaces.
>
> Any thoughts?

Do not think, do.

Wade
From: Eli Gottlieb
Wade Humeniuk wrote:
> ··········@bellsouth.net wrote:
>
>> Jove, as you probably know, is a small, fast Emacs-like editor.
>> Schemers like it.  It's written in C and terminal based:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/moraes/jove/
>>
>> I'm thinking about doing a CL port using GTK+ for the interface.  I'm
>> aware of the Climacs and P-Hemlock efforts, but I would like to use
>> GTK+.
>>
>> A small, fast Emacs written entirely in CL, using GTK+ could be the
>> first of a whole collection of GTK tools, using one of the several
>> Lisp/GTK interfaces.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> Do not think, do.
>
> Wade
Think, then do.
From: Gareth McCaughan
Eli Gottlieb wrote:

> Wade Humeniuk wrote:
>> Do not think, do.
>> Wade
> Think, then do.

Do while thinking, think while doing.

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Gareth McCaughan wrote:
> Eli Gottlieb wrote:
>
>> Wade Humeniuk wrote:
>>> Do not think, do.
>>> Wade
>> Think, then do.
>
> Do while thinking, think while doing.

Oh these Western Civilized people.  They eat while walking, they think
while reading, they talk while writing, they program while making love
to their women (well, not sure about this one)...

Eat when you eat.  Write when you write.  Program when you program.

--
Suffering from Gates-induced brain leakage...