From: Panos C. Lekkas
Subject: Java VM on Pentium implemented in Common Lisp
Does anyone know if there is an open source Java Virtual Machine for the
Pentium architecture that has been implemented in Common Lisp?

Thanks.

Panos C. Lekkas

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Java VM on Pentium implemented in Common Lisp
"Panos C. Lekkas" <·······@ieee.org> writes:
> Does anyone know if there is an open source Java Virtual Machine for the
> Pentium architecture that has been implemented in Common Lisp?

The answer is clearly: No.
But are you sure this is the question you wanted to ask?

NEW GRAND UNIFIED THEORY DISCLAIMER: The manufacturer may
technically be entitled to claim that this product is
ten-dimensional. However, the consumer is reminded that this
confers no legal rights above and beyond those applicable to
three-dimensional objects, since the seven new dimensions are
"rolled up" into such a small "area" that they cannot be
detected.
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 04:48:26 +0100, Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> wrote:

> "Panos C. Lekkas" <·······@ieee.org> writes:
>> Does anyone know if there is an open source Java Virtual Machine
>> for the Pentium architecture that has been implemented in Common
>> Lisp?
>
> The answer is clearly: No.

Translation: I (Pascal B.) haven't heard of it yet.

See other replies in this thread.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 04:48:26 +0100, Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> wrote:
>
>> "Panos C. Lekkas" <·······@ieee.org> writes:
>>> Does anyone know if there is an open source Java Virtual Machine
>>> for the Pentium architecture that has been implemented in Common
>>> Lisp?
>>
>> The answer is clearly: No.
>
> Translation: I (Pascal B.) haven't heard of it yet.
>
> See other replies in this thread.

Well, I realize it, but I still can't believe what I'm reading.
Why would anybody want to write a JVM in Common Lisp?
Compiling CL to JVM, ok, but writing a JVM?

"Logiciels libres : nourris au code source sans farine animale."
From: Pascal Costanza
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

>>>The answer is clearly: No.
>>
>>Translation: I (Pascal B.) haven't heard of it yet.
>>
>>See other replies in this thread.
>
> Well, I realize it, but I still can't believe what I'm reading.
> Why would anybody want to write a JVM in Common Lisp?

...because we can. ;)

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
Closer to MOP & ContextL:
From: Panos C. Lekkas

>>>Translation: I (Pascal B.) haven't heard of it yet.
>>>
>>>See other replies in this thread.
>>
>> Well, I realize it, but I still can't believe what I'm reading.  Why
>> would anybody want to write a JVM in Common Lisp?
>
> ...because we can. ;)
>
> Pascal

Precisely. For the same ... ego-boosting (mostly research-related and
largely non commercial) reasons that some people in this group have been
contemplating or attempting to implement complete operating systems in CL.
:-)

In fact, however, my question was propelled by a current feasibility project
involving an embedded Common Lisp with a rather trimmed (whatever that may
end up meaning) runtime environment on a space-based platform, which will
periodically need to be also fed with Java code from the ground besides
fresh Lisp code that reconfigures applications and diagnostics. I simply
wanted to gain a better understanding as to the development complexity and
footprint of such a potential VM effort if others have done something like
it. That is all.

Are we better off changing the input Java code into Lisp? Most probably yes.
But this is why there is a feasibility study, to bring up the pros and the
cons of altrernative approaches as to how to go about skinning this cat.

Thanks for your feedback

Panos C. Lekkas
From: Pascal Costanza
Panos C. Lekkas wrote:

>>>Well, I realize it, but I still can't believe what I'm reading.  Why
>>>would anybody want to write a JVM in Common Lisp?
>>
>>...because we can. ;)
>>
>>Pascal
>
> Precisely. For the same ... ego-boosting (mostly research-related and
> largely non commercial) reasons that some people in this group have been
> contemplating or attempting to implement complete operating systems in CL.
> :-)
>
> In fact, however, my question was propelled by a current feasibility project
> involving an embedded Common Lisp with a rather trimmed (whatever that may
> end up meaning) runtime environment on a space-based platform, which will
> periodically need to be also fed with Java code from the ground besides
> fresh Lisp code that reconfigures applications and diagnostics. I simply
> wanted to gain a better understanding as to the development complexity and
> footprint of such a potential VM effort if others have done something like
> it. That is all.
>
> Are we better off changing the input Java code into Lisp? Most probably yes.
> But this is why there is a feasibility study, to bring up the pros and the
> cons of altrernative approaches as to how to go about skinning this cat.

Implementing the basic infrastructure for a JVM is relatively simple and
straightforward, especially in Common Lisp where you can even translate
the bytecodes to Lisp form and then compile them into machine-executable
code. The tricky part is getting more lew-level technical details right,
like multithreading or interfacing native code. That's why I was
impressed about the information that David Lichteblau's implementation
already is capable of running Eclipse, which doesn't seem trivial to me.

My JVM implementation was my learning project for Common Lisp, and I was
able to get a first simple application (of the Fibonacci kind) running
after one or two months, with relatively few hours per week of
investment. It depends on your specific requirements how much more work
it needs to get this into a reliable piece of software.

Other options include to use one of the various approaches for
interacting between a Common Lisp environment and a "proper" JVM. There
are several different approaches here which other people can give you
better information about.

Pascal

From: Pascal Costanza
Panos C. Lekkas wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is an open source Java Virtual Machine for the
> Pentium architecture that has been implemented in Common Lisp?

You don't need to be processor-specific to do this in Common Lisp.
compile is a standard function of Common Lisp, so you can write a
JIT-compiler for Java (or any other language) in a portable way.

I have implemented the core of such a JVM some time ago, but never
finished it. If you're interested, I can give you the source code.

See also http://bc.tech.coop/blog/040707.html

Pascal

From: Panos C. Lekkas
"Pascal Costanza" <··@p-cos.net> wrote in message
···················@individual.net...
> Panos C. Lekkas wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there is an open source Java Virtual Machine for the
>> Pentium architecture that has been implemented in Common Lisp?
>
> You don't need to be processor-specific to do this in Common Lisp. compile
> is a standard function of Common Lisp, so you can write a JIT-compiler for
> Java (or any other language) in a portable way.

I know. In fact the processor for which the JVM would be written is a
custom-designed SoC offering some tailor-made instructions but we have the
ability to adapt the JIT compiler to also use the extra instructions we have
microcoded in the cores. Otherwise the HW behaves like a Pentium....

> I have implemented the core of such a JVM some time ago, but never
> finished it. If you're interested, I can give you the source code.

Thank you for the kind offer. However I don't need the actual source code at
this point, but I would really appreciate some numbers, namely:
(i) rough # of source lines as a crude first order idea of the needed
development effort/complexity (assuming orthodox indentation policies :-),
(ii) a rough indication of ROM code size (remember it would be embedded),
(iii) heap requirements purely for the JVM and
(iv) an idea if possible of machine instructions per second in typical
workload, so as to allocate a percentage of the available horsepower.
Of course I don't know whether you can actually give me such numbers if the
"core" you have developed is limited in scope. I don't understand what you
mean by "core", it is probably your subjective way of saying a "subset of
what it should functionally be". Correct? :-)

Thanks again

Panos

Panos C. Lekkas
From: David Lichteblau
Hi,

On 2006-02-02, Panos C. Lekkas <·······@ieee.org> wrote:
> Thank you for the kind offer. However I don't need the actual source code at
> this point, but I would really appreciate some numbers, namely:

as Juho mentioned, I started writing a Java VM in Common Lisp.  If I
find the time to finish it and clean it up a little, it will be open
source, but right now it is not polished enough for that.  Not having
touched it at all in the last months I cannot say when exactly that
could be.

As for numbers...:

> (i) rough # of source lines as a crude first order idea of the needed
> development effort/complexity (assuming orthodox indentation policies :-),

About 10k LOC

> (ii) a rough indication of ROM code size (remember it would be embedded),
> (iii) heap requirements purely for the JVM and

All I can say about memory requirements is that they are currently a
little impractical.  (Most certainly impractical in an embedded
environment, but then it was not written for that.)

The generated code is much too large, but I am translating the bytecode
into Lisp source code rather naively and SBCL does not generate the most
compact code either.  So it will probably be possible to optimize this
all a little.

If you are really trying to save memory, you might be interested in
adding an interpreter instead of a compiler.  A proof-of-concept
interpreter will be very easy to write.  Making it fast enough would be
more work.

The Java objects need a few more memory words than necessary in most
other Java VMs, and that will probably not change.

> (iv) an idea if possible of machine instructions per second in typical
> workload, so as to allocate a percentage of the available horsepower.

For real applications, I am currently happy when it has speed comparable
to bytecode interpreters.  While it will never be a match for Hotspot or
gcj, I am hoping that there is room for optimization in this area, too.

d.
From: Panos C. Lekkas
"David Lichteblau" <········@lichteblau.com> wrote in message
···························@babayaga.math.fu-berlin.de...
> Hi,

Impressive! Thank you very much for the substantive response. I appreciate
your sharing these figures with us and I do understand the non-optimized
status of this work.

Panos C. Lekkas
From: Panos C. Lekkas
"David Lichteblau" <········@lichteblau.com> wrote in message
···························@babayaga.math.fu-berlin.de...
> as Juho mentioned, I started writing a Java VM in Common Lisp.  If I
> find the time to finish it and clean it up a little, it will be open
> source, but right now it is not polished enough for that.  Not having
> touched it at all in the last months I cannot say when exactly that
> could be.
> d.

I was wondering whether your PDF presentation to which Bill Clementson
refers himself in his blog (and hinted to me
http://bc.tech.coop/blog/040707.html  by Pascal Constanza earlier today)
http://home.fhtw-berlin.de/~lichtebl/cloak.pdf might be made accessible to
those of us who are interested in learning more about that work. Or maybe it
is simply that your server is temporarily unavailable, in which case please
ignore my request.

Thank you in anticipation

Panos C. Lekkas
From: Panos C. Lekkas
> I was wondering whether your PDF presentation to which Bill Clementson
> refers himself in his blog (and hinted to me
> http://bc.tech.coop/blog/040707.html  by Pascal Constanza earlier today)
> http://home.fhtw-berlin.de/~lichtebl/cloak.pdf might be made accessible to

Oops, Pascal, I humbly apologize for misspelling your last name while fast
typing. Keyboard-happy (as in trigger-happy), I guess! :-)

Didn't mean to. I am sorry for that.

Panos
From: Pascal Costanza
Panos C. Lekkas wrote:
>>I was wondering whether your PDF presentation to which Bill Clementson
>>refers himself in his blog (and hinted to me
>>http://bc.tech.coop/blog/040707.html  by Pascal Constanza earlier today)
>>http://home.fhtw-berlin.de/~lichtebl/cloak.pdf might be made accessible to
>
> Oops, Pascal, I humbly apologize for misspelling your last name while fast
> typing. Keyboard-happy (as in trigger-happy), I guess! :-)
>
> Didn't mean to. I am sorry for that.

Don't worry. Everyone makes that mistake at least once. ;) Is not as bad
as the typical joke about my first name... ;)

Pascal

From: ·····@bigpond.net.au
If anyone would like to help with myLISP it would be appreciated ?
Its an x86 assembler implementation of LISP for the Win32 and Linux
platforms.

Rgs, James
http://www.mylisp.com
From: David Lichteblau
On 2006-02-02, Panos C. Lekkas <·······@ieee.org> wrote:
> http://home.fhtw-berlin.de/~lichtebl/cloak.pdf might be made accessible to

Oh, so much for my old student account.
But the file would not be up-to-date anyway.

> those of us who are interested in learning more about that work. Or maybe it

Bill's blog has a fair summary, I think.

Some points that have changed:

- It does not aspire to portability anymore.  Getting it to work well on
  SBCL first would seem more important to me than porting it to other
  Lisps.
- JNI support is there (and was actually very easy to do once SBCL had
  callbacks).
- Dumping a core file with Java classes in it does not seem like a
  great strategy to me anymore (too large and inconvenient, at least in
  the case of complex applications).  I am hoping that my sb-heapdump
  experiment will provide a solution there.

d.
From: Panos C. Lekkas

> Oh, so much for my old student account.
> But the file would not be up-to-date anyway.

Thank you for swiftly closing the loop with us on this.

Panos C. Lekkas
From: Pascal Costanza
Panos C. Lekkas wrote:

>>I have implemented the core of such a JVM some time ago, but never
>>finished it. If you're interested, I can give you the source code.
>
> Thank you for the kind offer. However I don't need the actual source code at
> this point, but I would really appreciate some numbers, namely:
> (i) rough # of source lines as a crude first order idea of the needed
> development effort/complexity (assuming orthodox indentation policies :-),
> (ii) a rough indication of ROM code size (remember it would be embedded),
> (iii) heap requirements purely for the JVM and
> (iv) an idea if possible of machine instructions per second in typical
> workload, so as to allocate a percentage of the available horsepower.
> Of course I don't know whether you can actually give me such numbers if the
> "core" you have developed is limited in scope. I don't understand what you
> mean by "core", it is probably your subjective way of saying a "subset of
> what it should functionally be". Correct? :-)

Sorry, I don't have such numbers at hand. "Core" refers to the fact that
I am only translating Java bytecodes to Lisp forms, but none of the
native APIs are implemented, Java's multithreading model is not
supported and no serious program has ever been run.

You can download the source code at http://p-cos.net/lisp/Gina-JVM.zip

David Lichteblau's code seems to be much more mature, so you should
maybe contact him. (I don't think he reads c.l.l)

Cheers,
Pascal

From: Panos C. Lekkas
"Pascal Costanza" <··@p-cos.net> wrote in message
···················@individual.net...

> Sorry, I don't have such numbers at hand. "Core" refers to the fact that I
> am only translating Java bytecodes to Lisp forms, but none of the native
> APIs are implemented, Java's multithreading model is not supported and no
> serious program has ever been run.

Now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

> You can download the source code at http://p-cos.net/lisp/Gina-JVM.zip

At some point, I may take you up on that, but if I do I guess I must first
make sure I absolutely read carefully the license agreement you said you
included, so as not attract any undue attention from Edi's ... legal
hawk-eye :-)

I am not a professional SW guy. I have been using Lisp for almost 25 years
now mainly as a tool-building tool in the areas of VLSI design and SoC
system/architecture & simulation and after so may years one may succumb to
the temptation of assuming one knows what one is talking about when we
discuss Lisp. It is extremely humbling for me to be surrounded here by true
masters who not only know infinitely more on Lisp than me, but who are
absurdly kind and gracious with their help and guidance. And I mean that!

Many thanks to all of you.

Panos C. Lekkas
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:29:52 +0100, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> wrote:

> You can download the source code at
> http://p-cos.net/lisp/Gina-JVM.zip

You should add a license, probably something BSD-like.  This is not
meant as open source evangelism, but because of German laws you might
otherwise be held liable for things you don't want to be involved
with.  AFAIK it is not possible for Germans to release code into the
public domain.[1]

Of course, IANAL and all that stuff... :)

Cheers,
Edi.

[1] If you're really interested you can search the CMUCL mailing list
    archive.  Gerd Moellmann explained this once IIRC.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Pascal Costanza
Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:29:52 +0100, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> wrote:
>

>>You can download the source code at
>>http://p-cos.net/lisp/Gina-JVM.zip
>

> You should add a license, probably something BSD-like.  This is not
> meant as open source evangelism, but because of German laws you might
> otherwise be held liable for things you don't want to be involved
> with.  AFAIK it is not possible for Germans to release code into the
> public domain.[1]

Oh Edi, you are clearly a troll... ;-)

Of course, there is a license attached in each source file. ;)

Pascal

From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:56:50 +0100, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> wrote:

> Oh Edi, you are clearly a troll... ;-)

/Finally/ someone who recognizes my achievements!

> Of course, there is a license attached in each source file. ;)

Er, sure.  Seems I'm pretty good at picking the wrong one.  I opened
the ZIP archive, saw no dedicated license file, then for whatever
reason pulled out the file "bytecodes.lisp" and, presto, it didn't
have a license with it.  Then of course I called my lawyer.  I now see
that the other files have license information but I guess it's too
late to stop the bloodhounds.  So sorry... :)

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Pascal Costanza
Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:56:50 +0100, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> wrote:
>
>>Oh Edi, you are clearly a troll... ;-)
>
> /Finally/ someone who recognizes my achievements!
>
>>Of course, there is a license attached in each source file. ;)
>
> Er, sure.  Seems I'm pretty good at picking the wrong one.  I opened
> the ZIP archive, saw no dedicated license file, then for whatever
> reason pulled out the file "bytecodes.lisp" and, presto, it didn't
> have a license with it.  Then of course I called my lawyer.  I now see
> that the other files have license information but I guess it's too
> late to stop the bloodhounds.  So sorry... :)

Damn! It's a pity that we are not in the US. Otherwise I could sue the
hell out of you now... ;)

Pascal

From: Edi Weitz
On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:58:26 -0500, "Panos C. Lekkas" <·······@ieee.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is an open source Java Virtual Machine for
> the Pentium architecture that has been implemented in Common Lisp?

I seem to remember that various people talked about plans for doing
that.  One message I found via Google was this one:

  <http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/185b3134614d1f9b>

I think Pascal hasn't finished this project but maybe someone else has
gone further.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Juho Snellman
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:58:26 -0500, "Panos C. Lekkas" <·······@ieee.org> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there is an open source Java Virtual Machine for
>> the Pentium architecture that has been implemented in Common Lisp?
>
> I seem to remember that various people talked about plans for doing
> that.  One message I found via Google was this one:
>
>  <http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/185b3134614d1f9b>
>
> I think Pascal hasn't finished this project but maybe someone else has
> gone further.

I believe David Lichteblau's CLOAK, which compiles JVM bytecode into
(SB)CL, is complete enough to run Eclipse (the IDE).

--
Juho Snellman
From: Panos C. Lekkas
"Juho Snellman" <······@iki.fi> wrote in message
··························@sbz-30.cs.Helsinki.FI...
> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:
>
> I believe David Lichteblau's CLOAK, which compiles JVM bytecode into
> (SB)CL, is complete enough to run Eclipse (the IDE).
> --
> Juho Snellman

That is very interesting. Thanks for the cue!

Panos C. Lekkas
From: Pascal Costanza
Juho Snellman wrote:
> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:58:26 -0500, "Panos C. Lekkas" <·······@ieee.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know if there is an open source Java Virtual Machine for
>>>the Pentium architecture that has been implemented in Common Lisp?
>>
>>I seem to remember that various people talked about plans for doing
>>that.  One message I found via Google was this one:
>>
>> <http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/185b3134614d1f9b>
>>
>>I think Pascal hasn't finished this project but maybe someone else has
>>gone further.
>

> I believe David Lichteblau's CLOAK, which compiles JVM bytecode into
> (SB)CL, is complete enough to run Eclipse (the IDE).

Wow!

Pascal

From: Edi Weitz
On 2 Feb 2006 10:45:05 GMT, Juho Snellman <······@iki.fi> wrote:

> I believe David Lichteblau's CLOAK, which compiles JVM bytecode into
> (SB)CL, is complete enough to run Eclipse (the IDE).

Cool!  Is it available somewhere?

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Juho Snellman
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2006 10:45:05 GMT, Juho Snellman <······@iki.fi> wrote:
>> I believe David Lichteblau's CLOAK, which compiles JVM bytecode into
>> (SB)CL, is complete enough to run Eclipse (the IDE).
>
> Cool!  Is it available somewhere?

Not as far as I know.

--
Juho Snellman