From: ·········@gmail.com
Subject: Easy lisp tutorials?
Hello everyone!
I'm mostly a newbie regarding programming. I did some (very very very)
basic programming on Ruby and loved it, but as cool as that language is
I want something I can compile and run anywhere (and on windows mostly)
and I turned to lisp.

What surprises me is that my great googling powers have failed me! No
matter where I look I can't find complete tutorials about this
language. Isn't it strange that a language that's been out for so much
time has so little documentation (starting from the simplest of
simple).

Am I missing something? If so where are the tutorials for common lisp?

Thanks,
Gabriel

From: ·········@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Easy lisp tutorials?
From: ajones
·········@gmail.com wrote:
> Damn... I feel stupid now. I thought I did all I could, thanks for the
> quick response, you guys are very cool.

Careful asking questions around here, or the lisp trolls will eat you.
At least that is what all the people who don't know the language and
are commenting on it tell me.

Here comes one now ... run ... AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH[crunch]

....note to self, two cups of coffee in under an hour: bad idea.
From: Eric Lavigne
> I'm mostly a newbie regarding programming. I did some (very very very)
>basic programming on Ruby and loved it, but as cool as that language is
>I want something I can compile and run anywhere (and on windows mostly)
>and I turned to lisp.

Not that I have anything against your new choice of programming
language, but the reason confuses me. Ruby doesn't seem to have the
portability issues that you are trying to escape...

quote from http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/entry/show/15

Ruby is developed under Linux, and is written in fairly straightforward
C. It runs under UNIX, DOS, Windows 95/98/NT/2000, Mac OS X, BeOS,
Amiga, Acorn Risc OS, and OS/2.
From: Eli Gottlieb
·········@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> I'm mostly a newbie regarding programming. I did some (very very very)
> basic programming on Ruby and loved it, but as cool as that language is
> I want something I can compile and run anywhere (and on windows mostly)
> and I turned to lisp.
>
> What surprises me is that my great googling powers have failed me! No
> matter where I look I can't find complete tutorials about this
> language. Isn't it strange that a language that's been out for so much
> time has so little documentation (starting from the simplest of
> simple).
>
> Am I missing something? If so where are the tutorials for common lisp?
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriel

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

Now in dead tree edition, as well.
From: Wade Humeniuk
·········@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> I'm mostly a newbie regarding programming. I did some (very very very)
> basic programming on Ruby and loved it, but as cool as that language is
> I want something I can compile and run anywhere (and on windows mostly)
> and I turned to lisp.
>
> What surprises me is that my great googling powers have failed me! No
> matter where I look I can't find complete tutorials about this
> language. Isn't it strange that a language that's been out for so much
> time has so little documentation (starting from the simplest of
> simple).
>
> Am I missing something? If so where are the tutorials for common lisp?

Go through Peter Seibel's "Practical Common Lisp", available online at

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

Wade
From: Jens Axel Søgaard
·········@gmail.com wrote:

> What surprises me is that my great googling powers have failed me!

Try googling for:

   common lisp book

   common lisp

   common lisp tutorial

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: Pascal Bourguignon
·········@gmail.com writes:

> Hello everyone!
> I'm mostly a newbie regarding programming. I did some (very very very)
> basic programming on Ruby and loved it, but as cool as that language is
> I want something I can compile and run anywhere (and on windows mostly)
> and I turned to lisp.
>
> What surprises me is that my great googling powers have failed me! No
> matter where I look I can't find complete tutorials about this
> language. Isn't it strange that a language that's been out for so much
> time has so little documentation (starting from the simplest of
> simple).
>
> Am I missing something? If so where are the tutorials for common lisp?

Strange:

Location: http://www.google.com/search?q=common+lisp+tutorial
                                                                        Sign in
 Go to Google Home         Web    Images    Groups    News    Froogle    Local    more �

                           [common lisp tutorial                     ]  Search    Advanced Search
                                                                                  Preferences

 Web  Results 1 - 10 of about 487,000 for common lisp tutorial. (0.04 seconds)

But anyways, go first to cliki:

http://www.cliki.net
http://www.cliki.net/Education

CAUTION: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of
85 million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.
From: Paul Grunwald
·········@gmail.com wrote in news:1138830258.307627.242670
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hello everyone!
> I'm mostly a newbie regarding programming. I did some (very very very)
> basic programming on Ruby and loved it, but as cool as that language is
> I want something I can compile and run anywhere (and on windows mostly)
> and I turned to lisp.
>
> What surprises me is that my great googling powers have failed me! No
> matter where I look I can't find complete tutorials about this
> language. Isn't it strange that a language that's been out for so much
> time has so little documentation (starting from the simplest of
> simple).
>
> Am I missing something? If so where are the tutorials for common lisp?
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriel

http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/

Movies and everything else...
From: Rob Warnock
Paul Grunwald  <·········@spamthis.comcast.net> wrote:
+---------------
| ·········@gmail.com wrote:
| > Am I missing something? If so where are the tutorials for common lisp?
|
| http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/
+---------------

Uhhh... Those are all for *Scheme*, not Common Lisp. He'd do a lot
better with one of these:

    http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
    http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/cover.html
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/index.html

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: ·········@gmail.com
----
Not that I have anything against your new choice of programming
language, but the reason confuses me. Ruby doesn't seem to have the
portability issues that you are trying to escape...

quote from http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/entry/show/15

Ruby is developed under Linux, and is written in fairly straightforward
C. It runs under UNIX, DOS, Windows 95/98/NT/2000, Mac OS X, BeOS,
Amiga, Acorn Risc OS, and OS/2.
----

I love Ruby. It's a very cool language. But I'd like not having to tell
all my friends to go to rubyforge for the one click installer each time
I want to show them my newest app (that's why compilation will be
useful). Now that I can understand some concepts I'd like to jump onto
something harder. Anything that will prepare me for college is cool.

My friends are what I like to call "typical" people. Their hobbies
don't involve writing strange words and symbols on the screen to make
stuff happen, they just go out and get drunk ;). Anything they can't
double click on is too complex for them.

Oh! And I got a girl hooked on Ruby, too bad it's not the one I'm
interested in.

Thanks for everything, lithp rockth!

PS. I'm living right now in Murcia, Spain, but I'll be moving to
Stockholm, Sweden for college next year. Any male or
female(preferrably) lispers/rubyers there?
From: ·········@gmail.com
The easiest I have found by far is:

http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/pub/WWW/faculty/shapiro/Commonlisp/

However, this book covers topics like the package system and the
debugger and has two nice projects that you develop in a "do just the
part you can understand" fashion.

In fact, I don't know why this book is not as famous as it deserves.