From: memius
Subject: submitting lisp programs to programming-challenges.com
i would like to go though 'programming challenges', by skiena &
revilla, but i want to do the challenges in lisp.

i'm thinking of compiling my lisp programs to c code to submit them
(the web page only accepts c, c++ or java code).  is clicc a good tool
for this?

perhaps there is a better way that i have overlooked?

From: Mark Tarver
memius wrote:
> i would like to go though 'programming challenges', by skiena &
> revilla, but i want to do the challenges in lisp.
>
> i'm thinking of compiling my lisp programs to c code to submit them
> (the web page only accepts c, c++ or java code).  is clicc a good tool
> for this?
>
> perhaps there is a better way that i have overlooked?

Possibly find another contest  - one with a broader and more
understanding view of what programming can be like.

Mark
From: memius
From: Mark Tarver
memius wrote:
> mark: do you have any in mind?

Try entering 'programming contests 2007' to Google - you get a long
list.

Programming contests that stipulate that you have to use Java or C++
are the intellectual equivalent of the sack race.   I cannot take any
contest
seriously that makes such a stipulation.

ICFP runs a functional programming contest for functional programmers
though it seems to be team oriented.

Mark
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"memius" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> i would like to go though 'programming challenges', by skiena &
> revilla, but i want to do the challenges in lisp.
>
> i'm thinking of compiling my lisp programs to c code to submit them
> (the web page only accepts c, c++ or java code).  is clicc a good tool
> for this?

It probably won't be practical, because of clicc libraries...
Isn't there program size limits?

> perhaps there is a better way that i have overlooked?

Yes, there's a better way: http://www.spoj.pl
The Sphere Online Judge accepts programs in gcl and clisp.

Nobody can fix the economy.  Nobody can be trusted with their finger
on the button.  Nobody's perfect.  VOTE FOR NOBODY.
From: furious_joe
memius wrote:
> i would like to go though 'programming challenges', by skiena &
> revilla, but i want to do the challenges in lisp.
>
> i'm thinking of compiling my lisp programs to c code to submit them
> (the web page only accepts c, c++ or java code).  is clicc a good tool
> for this?
>
> perhaps there is a better way that i have overlooked?

This might not be very good for speed or efficiency, much better to
write in c; but I don't know how effective the compilers are.
Translating lisp into c would be like how you can write fortran in any
language.