From: Ken Tilton
Subject: That was quick, and a meta-quote!
"of course, the definition of "escapism" from Merriam-Webster's Tenth
Edition Collegiate Dictionary is mimicked both in form and content."
    - Erik Naggum

"thanks for listening, and for respecting the right of an author to be
named the author also in electronic information. it's the only right we
have left that new technology never was an excuse not to honor."
    - Erik Naggum, on the prior quote being used w/out attribution to him

Who is going to take care of Bradshaw, Gilham, Warnock, and Rettig?*

kt

* Stop crying, I just didn't think of you. k

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd

From: Rob Warnock
Subject: Re: That was quick, and a meta-quote!
Ken Tilton  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Who is going to take care of Bradshaw, Gilham, Warnock, and Rettig?
+---------------

Or Tilton?  ;-}

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Ken Tilton
Rob Warnock wrote:
> Ken Tilton  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | Who is going to take care of Bradshaw, Gilham, Warnock, and Rettig?
> +---------------
>
> Or Tilton?  ;-}

Fortunately modesty has never held me back. Quoting only where quoted, I
have collected (somewhat edited):

%
I think it would be harder for a good programmer to change editors than
to change languages. � Kenny Tilton in comp.lang.smalltalk
%
I like to ask people who complain about parentheses in Lisp if they
are bothered by all the spaces between words in a newspaper...
                                      - Kenny Tilton <····@liii.com>
%
Lisp gives you a kazillion ways to solve a problem. (1- kazillion) are
wrong.  - Kenny Tilton
%
Liars need good memories, trolls need NG readers with bad ones.
                                   (kenny tilton, 8.10.2005, cll)
%
We all need early warning systems for "they might have heard this a
million times before" remarks.  I once destroyed any nano-chance I had
with a stunning, taller woman by asking her how tall she was.
"Six foot two," she replied. "How short are you?"
                                 (kenny tilton,7.6.2003, cll)
    [she should get the credit for that one]
%
Lisp nearing the age of fifty is the most modern language out
there. GC, dynamic, reflective, the best OO model extant including
GFs, procedural macros, and the only thing old-fashioned about it
is that it is compiled and fast.   -- Kenny Tilton, comp.lang.python
%
 > fred gilham wrote:
 >> kenny tilton wrote:
 >>> fred gilham wrote:
 >>>  Become a celebrity like Kenny Tilton.
 >> I am a simple Lisp programmer.
 >> --
 >> "I am a simple Buddhist monk.  "
 >>             --  Tenzin Gyatso, the Fourteenth Dalai Lama
 > On top of everything else,  humble too!  :-)
%
Lisp is no longer the crazy aunt in the attic, she is now
out in the front parlor where her admirers come to pay
their respect and learn.  --  Kenny Tilton in c.l.lisp 2004/03/31
%
My dream of a Cells consulting business is fading as user after user
turns out to be hindered not at all by my deliberate withholding
of documentation.  -- Kenny Tilton in comp.lang.lisp
%
Omigod, it's a flame war about a flame war.  You know, a meta-flame war!
                                       -- Kenny Tilton in comp.lang.lisp
%
Eight years to do TeX? How smart can he be? He should have used Lisp.
                                       -- Kenny Tilton, on Donald Knuth
%
Yeah, I'm a gifted guru. Since you called me that, I guess I'll talk
to you a little bit.      -- Kenny Tilton in comp.lang.lisp
%
There are no average Lisp programmers. We are the Priesthood.
Offerings of incense or cash will do. � Kenny Tilton at comp.lang.lisp
%
I suppose if what you said had any merit it would occasion hostility.
                                - kenny tilton, c.l.l 2006-01-16
%
Yeah, what the hell can anyone accomplish with beauty and power?
                                - kenny tilton c.l.l 2006-01-17
powerful but unuseable)
%
No, you are an asshole doing his best to despoil c.l.l, and I am an
asshole doing his best to hose out your crap.
                                - kenny tilton c.l.l 2006-05-20
%
Programmers who lock onto a design decision and cling to it in the face
of contradictory new information -- well, that's almost everyone in my
experience, so I better not say what I think of them or people will
start saying bad things about me on c.l.l.
	-- Ken Tilton <·············@newsfe09.lga>
%
This reminds me of the NYC cabby who accepted a fare to Chicago. When
they got there and could not find the friend who was supposed to pay the
fare the cabby just laughed and said he should have known.
	-- Ken Tilton  <··············@fe09.lga>
%
 > Actually, I believe that Aikido, Jazz and Lisp are different appearances
 > of the same thing.
Yes, the Tao. /Everything/ is a different appearance of the tao.
	-- Ken Tilton <················@fe08.lga>

"Ken, I went to the library and read up on Buddhism, and believe me, you
are no Buddhist."
	-- Kenny's mom. <··············@newsfe12.lga>
%
Horse. Cart. Please note order.
	-- Ken Tilton <··················@newsfe08.lga>
%
That absolutely terrifies the herd-following, lockstep-marching,
mainstream-saluting cowards that obediently dash out or online to
scoop up books on The Latest Thing. They learn and use atrocities like
Java, C++, XML, and even Python for the security it gives them and
then sit there slaving away miserably, tediously, joylously paying off
mortgages and supporting ungrateful teenagers who despise them, only
to look out the double-sealed thermo-paned windows of their
central-heated, sound-proofed, dead-bolted, suffocating little nests
into the howling gale thinking "what do they know that I do not know?"
when they see us under a lean-to hunched over our laptops to shield
them from the rain laughing our asses off as we write great code
between bong hits.... what was the question?
	-- Ken Tilton <···················@newsfe09.lga>
%
Shut up! (That last phrase has four or more syllables if pronounced as
intended.)	-- Ken Tilton <···············@newsfe11.lga>
%
Nonsense. You'll be using it for the GUI, not protein-folding.
	-- Ken Tilton <···············@newsfe08.lga>
(responding to a comment that LTK was slow because it was based on TK)
%
Continuations certainly are clever, but if we learned anything from the
rejection of the cover art for "Smell the Glove", it is that "there is a
fine line between stupid... and clever".
	-- Ken Tilton <·················@newsfe08.lga>
%
Ah, there's no place like academia for dispassionate, intellectually
honest discussion of new ideas on their merits. Thank god for tenure
giving your bold antagonist the protection they needed to shout down
your iconoclastic..... hang on...
	-- Ken Tilton <···············@fe12.lga>
%
Whoever objected must be in my killfile, ...
	-- Ken Tilton <···················@newsfe09.lga>
%
 From memory (but I think I have it right):
"But Jesus said, Suffer captured variables, and forbid them not, to come
unto thine macro bodies: for of such are DSLs made."

Can I get an Amen?
	-- Ken Tilton <··············@fe11.lga>

%
Awareness of defect is the first step to recovery.
	-- Ken Tilton <················@fe09.lga>
%
You made a bad analogy (there are no good ones, but
you found a new low) ... -- Ken Tilton <··················@newsfe08.lga>
%
Yes, it is true that Kent Pitman was raised by a closet full of Lisp
Machines, but the exception only proves the rule.
	-- Ken Tilton <··················@newsfe08.lga>
		(in a postscript after positing that computer
		 languages are not learned in infancy)
%
I suggest you try bartender's school to support yourself, start
programming for fun again.
	-- Ken Tilton <·················@newsfe09.lga>
		(responding to a comment that 98% of anything to do
		 with computers was not interesting code)
%
You could add four lanes to my carpal tunnel and I still could not
write all the code I am dying to write.
	-- Ken Tilton <·················@newsfe09.lga>
%
Neutrality? I want to bury other languages, not have a gateway to them.
	-- Ken Tilton <···············@fe09.lga>
%
Ken: "Cute puppy. Did you get it for companionship or to pick up chicks?"
Simon: "Hunh? My puppy /always/ gives me companionship."
	-- Ken Tilton <·············@newsfe10.lga>
		(on how he was understood by a native english speaker)
%
 > Yeah.  In case you guys didn't quite get it, this particular site
 > targets (among other things) the Turkish lisp effort.  Yours truly and
 > others have also been accused of being destructive to Turkish youth

They want you to copy them first?
	-- Ken Tilton <·············@fe10.lga>
%
You can lead a horse away from water, but if it wants to drink you
better have a big frickin stun gun.

No, I have no idea what I just said.
	-- Ken Tilton <···············@newsfe11.lga>
%
PWUIAHAHAHAHA. This is Lisp. We never use anyone else's code. Hell,
most of us won't even use Lisp and insist on writing our own.
	-- Ken Tilton <················@newsfe11.lga>
%
OK, who is going to head over to c.l.python and suggest parentheses
instead of whitespace? It could be a pretty funny post. "Hey, guys! I
was looking at Lisp, had this great idea...keep an open mind!"
	-- Ken Tilton <················@newsfe10.lga>
%
Educational software itself is now an acknowledged joke
precisely because of people who try to foist on others "oh, look at
this, we used a computer, it must be in-frickin-credible".
	-- Ken Tilton <·················@newsfe11.lga>
%
Start over on this thread. Change the subject to "Lisp Sucks! Molasses
is faster!!" and post the code and some timings and the whole
community will be working for you for free.
	-- Ken Tilton <···············@newsfe09.lga>
%
We live here. Every week we see noobs stumble in the door, trip over
the upturned rug, bang their heads on the same too-low hanging lamp,
and then ease into Lisp pretty easily after being pointed to Lisp-aware
editors, Slime, PCL, etc etc, directed by living Lisp Gods, dynamic
and interactive, not some two-dimensional billboard of an FAQ that
just raises more questions.
	-- Ken Tilton <·················@newsfe11.lga>
%
Are you looking for that "friends" stuff from C++ (if I have that
right, unless it was Java <g>). This is Lisp, we just shoot from the
hip and do not worry about that stuff.
	-- Ken Tilton <················@newsfe09.lga>
%
Lisp is so great that even trollbait turns into gold, as when
Lispniks respond not with vitriol but with temperate refutations packed
with solid information about Lisp. - kenny tilton, c.l.l 2006-01-16