From: John Thingstad
Subject: Messed up elisp setup
My computer disck went lala last april.
Since then my emacs setup has been hell.
My computer is a pentium running XP and emacs 22.05.22
I would like help to setup:

ILISP

AUCTEX

SLIME

PYTHON-MODE

MMM-MODE
NXML-MODE
PHP-MODE
JAVASCRIPT-MODE

If you have any elisp code for any of these modes I would love to have it.

From: Rob Thorpe
Subject: Re: Messed up elisp setup
John Thingstad wrote:
> My computer disck went lala last april.
> Since then my emacs setup has been hell.
> My computer is a pentium running XP and emacs 22.05.22
> I would like help to setup:
>
> ILISP
>
> AUCTEX
>
> SLIME
>
> PYTHON-MODE
>
> MMM-MODE
> NXML-MODE
> PHP-MODE
> JAVASCRIPT-MODE
>
> If you have any elisp code for any of these modes I would love to have it.

It should be pretty easy to find all those with a search engine.
Auctex is at www.gnu.org, for python-mode, mmm-mode, nxml-mode and
php-mode you will get the relevant website by searching for "foo-mode
emacs", I expect you will for the others too.
From: John Thingstad
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:31:17 +0100, Rob Thorpe <·······@realworldtech.com>
wrote:

> John Thingstad wrote:
>> My computer disck went lala last april.
>> Since then my emacs setup has been hell.
>> My computer is a pentium running XP and emacs 22.05.22
>> I would like help to setup:
>>
>> ILISP
>>
>> AUCTEX
>>
>> SLIME
>>
>> PYTHON-MODE
>>
>> MMM-MODE
>> NXML-MODE
>> PHP-MODE
>> JAVASCRIPT-MODE
>>
>> If you have any elisp code for any of these modes I would love to have
>> it.
>
> It should be pretty easy to find all those with a search engine.
> Auctex is at www.gnu.org, for python-mode, mmm-mode, nxml-mode and
> php-mode you will get the relevant website by searching for "foo-mode
> emacs", I expect you will for the others too.

yes but the setup for some of them is a bich.

From: Rob Thorpe
John Thingstad wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:31:17 +0100, Rob Thorpe <·······@realworldtech.com>
> wrote:
> > John Thingstad wrote:
> >> My computer disck went lala last april.
> >> Since then my emacs setup has been hell.
> >> My computer is a pentium running XP and emacs 22.05.22
> >> I would like help to setup:
> >>
> >> ILISP
> >>
> >> AUCTEX
> >>
> >> SLIME
> >>
> >> PYTHON-MODE
> >>
> >> MMM-MODE
> >> NXML-MODE
> >> PHP-MODE
> >> JAVASCRIPT-MODE
> >>
> >> If you have any elisp code for any of these modes I would love to have
> >> it.
> >
> > It should be pretty easy to find all those with a search engine.
> > Auctex is at www.gnu.org, for python-mode, mmm-mode, nxml-mode and
> > php-mode you will get the relevant website by searching for "foo-mode
> > emacs", I expect you will for the others too.
> >

> yes but the setup for some of them is a bich.

I see.  You could try:- http://www.dotemacs.de/
Especially the examples pages and
http://www.dotemacs.de/linkedfiles.html
From: Robert Uhl
"John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> writes:

>> It should be pretty easy to find all those with a search engine.
>> Auctex is at www.gnu.org, for python-mode, mmm-mode, nxml-mode and
>> php-mode you will get the relevant website by searching for "foo-mode
>> emacs", I expect you will for the others too.
>
> yes but the setup for some of them is a bich.

emacswiki is typically pretty good with samples for various packages.
That said, here are my suggestions, for the packages I use:

>>> AUCTEX
;; set up tex
(setq tex-dvi-view-command "xdvi"
      tex-dvi-print-command "dvips -t letter")
;; use AUCTeX
(require 'tex-site)
(require 'tex)
(setq TeX-parse-self t) ; Enable parse on load.
(setq TeX-auto-save t) ; Enable parse on save.
(setq TeX-newline-function 'reindent-then-newline-and-indent) ; electric
							      ; newline
(TeX-global-PDF-mode t) ; use PDF

>>> SLIME

;; set up SLIME
(setq inferior-lisp-program "sbcl --noinform")
;;(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/slime/")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)
(setq slime-net-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
(setq common-lisp-hyperspec-root
      "file:///usr/local/share/lisp/hyperspec/HyperSpec/")
;; want hyperspec lookup to always be in w3m
(defadvice hyperspec-lookup (around use-w3m-in-hyperspec activate)
  "Always use w3m to lookup things in hyperspec"
  (let ((browse-url-browser-function 'w3m-browse-url))
    (message "foobar")
    ad-do-it))
;; use Lisp mode for ASDF system definitions
(setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.asd" . lisp-mode)
	    auto-mode-alist))
(push '(".sbclrc" . lisp-mode)
      auto-mode-alist)
(setq slime-startup-animation nil)

(defun swap-parens-brackets ()
  "Swap () and [] for easier typing"
  (keyboard-translate ?\( ?\[)
  (keyboard-translate ?\[ ?\()
  (keyboard-translate ?\) ?\])
  (keyboard-translate ?\] ?\)))

(swap-parens-brackets)

(defun remap-lisp-keys (map)
;;   (define-key map [(?\()] 'insert-parentheses)
;;   (define-key map [(?\))] 'move-past-close-and-reindent)
  (define-key map (kbd "C-j") 'newline)
  (define-key map (kbd "C-m") 'newline-and-indent)
  (define-key map (kbd "C-t") 'transpose-sexps)
  (define-key map (kbd "C-M-t") 'transpose-chars)
  (define-key map (kbd "C-b") 'backward-sexp)
  (define-key map (kbd "C-M-b") 'backward-char)
  (define-key map (kbd "C-f") 'forward-sexp)
  (define-key map (kbd "C-M-f") 'forward-char)
  (define-key map (kbd "TAB") 'slime-indent-and-complete-symbol))

(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (slime-mode t)
	    (remap-lisp-keys lisp-mode-map)
	    (set (make-local-variable lisp-indent-function)
		 'common-lisp-indent-function)))

(add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (inferior-slime-mode t)))
(slime-autodoc-mode)
(global-set-key "\C-cs" 'slime-selector)

>>> PYTHON-MODE
;; get python going
(setq load-path (cons "/usr/share/emacs/20.3/lisp/progmodes/" load-path))
(setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(setq interpreter-mode-alist
      (cons '("python" . python-mode)
	    interpreter-mode-alist))
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)

And as for disks, shell out the cash for a La Cie BigDisk, mount it on
/snapshots, then use this script (or similar) to perform incremental
backups:

  #!/bin/bash

  rm -rf /snapshots/backup.6
  mv -f /snapshots/backup.5 /snapshots/backup.6
  mv -f /snapshots/backup.4 /snapshots/backup.5
  mv -f /snapshots/backup.3 /snapshots/backup.4
  mv -f /snapshots/backup.2 /snapshots/backup.3
  mv -f /snapshots/backup.1 /snapshots/backup.2
  mv -f /snapshots/backup.0 /snapshots/backup.1
  rsync -q -a --delete --link-dest=/snapshots/backup.1 \
      --exclude /snapshots --exclude /sys --exclude /proc --exclude /mnt \
      --exclude /var/named/chroot/proc \
      / /snapshots/backup.0

What it does is use rsync's hard link capability to only backup those
files which have changed (others are simply hard links to the previous
day's version); if run nightly, the script above will preserve a week's
worth of data.  My system is 25GBs of data, and yet seven days of
backups take a mere 29GBs (and that includes some extra data I have
iving in /snapshots!).  Best money you'll ever spend.

French does have a certain je ne sais quoi, but I don't know
what it is.                     --Jeffrey Goldberg, in nanae
From: John Thingstad
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:16:38 +0100, Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

> "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> writes:
>>
>>> It should be pretty easy to find all those with a search engine.
>>> Auctex is at www.gnu.org, for python-mode, mmm-mode, nxml-mode and
>>> php-mode you will get the relevant website by searching for "foo-mode
>>> emacs", I expect you will for the others too.
>>
>> yes but the setup for some of them is a bich.
>
> emacswiki is typically pretty good with samples for various packages.
> That said, here are my suggestions, for the packages I use:

I took a brief look at it before posting but didn't find what I wanted.
(could be me)
Anyhow thanks a bundle.
The half working emacs was really getting to my nerves and I didn't
have much time to mess with it.