From: gavino
Subject: Why is Clisp not used for comp sci at universities?
why not? yes I know scheme is at mit, ...

From: grackle
Here's a quote I see floating around:

Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious." Lispnik: "Buddha is
big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."  -Nikodemus Siivola

Many talented undergraduates didn't spend their childhoods working on
large applications.  They don't have the background and experience that
makes a big, old, practical language make sense.

Elegance and mathematical simplicity make sense to everybody,
regardless of their background.  Scheme is therefore a better Lisp for
teaching college students.

-David
From: Florian Blatt
gavino schrieb:
> why not? yes I know scheme is at mit, ...

Nope, there won't be anymore scheming at the MIT:

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1840

There will be Python ;-)

Florian
From: Pascal Costanza
Florian Blatt wrote:
> gavino schrieb:
>> why not? yes I know scheme is at mit, ...
>>

> Nope, there won't be anymore scheming at the MIT:
>
> http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1840
>
> There will be Python ;-)

Ah, now we will get the next series of questions:

- "if scheme is so much more powerful than python, why ..."
- "python has a lot more libraries than scheme, how ..."
- "what can python do more than smalltalk?"
- "what can smalltalk do more than python?"

etc. pp., ad nauseam

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Charlton Wilbur

    PC> - "if scheme is so much more powerful than python, why ..."  -
    PC> "python has a lot more libraries than scheme, how ..."  -
    PC> "what can python do more than smalltalk?"  - "what can
    PC> smalltalk do more than python?"

With any luck, he'll ask them in comp.lang.python instead.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
·······@chromatico.net
From: ······@earthlink.net
> With any luck, he'll ask them in comp.lang.python instead.

He's trolling in comp.lang.python as well, not instead.

Maybe he'll start posting about cooking in
alt.swedish-chef.bork.bork.bork.
From: John Thingstad
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:41:51 +0100, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> wrote:

> Florian Blatt wrote:
>> gavino schrieb:
>>> why not? yes I know scheme is at mit, ...
>>>
>>  Nope, there won't be anymore scheming at the MIT:
>>  http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1840
>>  There will be Python ;-)
>
> Ah, now we will get the next series of questions:
>
> - "if scheme is so much more powerful than python, why ..."
> - "python has a lot more libraries than scheme, how ..."
> - "what can python do more than smalltalk?"
> - "what can smalltalk do more than python?"
>
> etc. pp., ad nauseam
>
> Pascal

We need a standard webpage for this..
Troller.FAQ
LanguageComparison.FAQ

etc..

(I agree this seems to take up about 90% of the traffic..
A few more Lisp questions would be nice.))

From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: *** C.L.L README/FAQ ***
John Thingstad wrote:
> We need a standard webpage for this..
> Troller.FAQ
> LanguageComparison.FAQ

You mean like this...? :-)

A Beginners' Meta FAQ for comp.lang.lisp:

  http://nostoc.stanford.edu/jeff/etc/cllfaq.html

The purpose of this page is to help those new to Lisp (aka. "newbies")
gain some background before they enter the fray of comp.lang.lisp
(c.l.l).

This is not a complete Lisp FAQ! Once you have a sense of Lisp
and of how c.l.l operates you should have no trouble finding all the
additional information you need, either by your own search efforts or
by asking the community. If you have issues with any of the below
please do not send me email. Rather, post on c.l.l in the weekly thread

where this is announced (heading: "*** C.L.L README/FAQ ***").