From: gavino
Subject: openmosix, making computer into 1, process level, lisp
My room mate syas openMosix makes a group of computers into 1 image so
that 20 normal pcs, when under openmosic, give you a 20 porcessor and
sum of RAM machine!

He said that it works at process level however so single process apss,
and ones with threads will not use this.

Does anything like this exist in the lisp world?  something to create a
single ssytem image?

What kind fo program for web development would do well in a mosic
single image supercomputer?

Would fast cgi benefit?

PEople like philip green spun say that threading is the way to go as in
aolserver, and cgi is inferior, but how does one make a cluster
supersomputer work well with threaded apps?

From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'gavino)
(you :wrote  :on '(17 Dec 2006 00:56:15 -0800))
(

 g> What kind fo program for web development would do well in a mosic
 g> single image supercomputer?

 g> Would fast cgi benefit?

no. web applications can be runned on 20 computers without much hassle by
themselves -- this is called 'load balancing'. you only need to make single
database/session management.

 g> PEople like philip green spun say that threading is the way to go as in
 g> aolserver, and cgi is inferior, but how does one make a cluster
 g> supersomputer work well with threaded apps?

currently there are 8-core chips, it would be much less hassle to maintain
single machine with 8 cores than 8 machines with one core.
additionally, you can run multiple threads per core -- this way if one
thread waits IO another can use CPU. Sun Fire T2000 machine supports running
4 threads on each of it's 8 cores, thus it can schedule 32 threads. do you
need more?

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:56:15 -0800, gavino wrote:

> My room mate syas openMosix makes a group of computers into 1 image so
> that 20 normal pcs, when under openmosic, give you a 20 porcessor and
> sum of RAM machine!
>
> He said that it works at process level however so single process apss,
> and ones with threads will not use this.
>
> Does anything like this exist in the lisp world?  something to create a
> single ssytem image?

Yes - SBCL runs on Linux and openMosix "is" Linux. Just start multiple
SBCL-instances; common data in the core will be shared so memory is
conserved.

> What kind fo program for web development would do well in a mosic
> single image supercomputer?

I'd go for load-balancing instead; as Alex mentioned.

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/
From: Tim Bradshaw
gavino wrote:
> My room mate syas openMosix makes a group of computers into 1 image so
> that 20 normal pcs, when under openmosic, give you a 20 porcessor and
> sum of RAM machine!

>From their web site:

    First, on a "real" SMP system, two or more CPUs can exchange data
very quickly;
    but with openMosix, the speed at which nodes can communicate with
one another is
    determined by the speed of your LAN. Using Gigabit Ethernet or some
other kind of
    high-bandwidth networking technology will allow you increase the
effectiveness of your
    openMosix cluster.

The words `embarrassingly parallel' come to mind.