From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Static typing in dynamically typed languages...
Hi,

See http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1910 and
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1176617.1176755

Also google for "soft typing."

Someone should write a paper about the type inferencer in the Python
compiler (CMUCL and SBCL). To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been
described well in any paper, but should be, because the topic seems to
become "hot".

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: Static typing in dynamically typed languages...
* Pascal Costanza <···············@mid.individual.net> :
| Someone should write a paper about the type inferencer in the Python
| compiler (CMUCL and SBCL). To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been
| described well in any paper, but should be, because the topic seems to
| become "hot".

(This link was posted on CLL recently)

The python compiler for CMU Common Lisp. Robert.A.MacLachan, CMU, 1993
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~ram/pub/

--
Madhu
From: Madhu

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~ram/pub/lfp.ps

--
Madhu
From: Pascal Costanza
Madhu wrote:
> * Pascal Costanza <···············@mid.individual.net> :
> | Someone should write a paper about the type inferencer in the Python
> | compiler (CMUCL and SBCL). To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been
> | described well in any paper, but should be, because the topic seems to
> | become "hot".
>
> (This link was posted on CLL recently)
>
> The python compiler for CMU Common Lisp. Robert.A.MacLachan, CMU, 1993
> http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~ram/pub/lfp.ps

Yes, this is a very nice, but also very high-level paper. It doesn't
give a lot of details on how the type inferencer works, what guarantees
it gives, what it does in boundary cases, etc.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net