From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Symbolics NXP1000 serial port parameters?
This isn't really the right place to ask, but perhaps has a better
chance than any.

Does anyone know what the parameters (baud, bits, stop) for a NXP1000
serial port were?  I'm trying to check mine works before I ship it.

Thanks

--tim

From: Raymond Laning
Subject: Re: Symbolics NXP1000 serial port parameters?
Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> This isn't really the right place to ask, but perhaps has a better
> chance than any.
>
> Does anyone know what the parameters (baud, bits, stop) for a NXP1000
> serial port were?  I'm trying to check mine works before I ship it.
>
> Thanks
>
> --tim

Relying only on long-not-refreshed memory, weren't those parameters
settable?  Maybe in the FEP?  I've got some Symbolics manuals (including
the FEP) for Genera 7 but I won't be able to lay hands on them until
after Dec 25 if you're still interested in what I might dig up then.

Raymond Laning
From: Tim Bradshaw
On Dec 14, 10:54 pm, Raymond Laning <········@raytheon.com> wrote:
> Relying only on long-not-refreshed memory, weren't those parameters
> settable?  Maybe in the FEP?  I've got some Symbolics manuals (including
> the FEP) for Genera 7 but I won't be able to lay hands on them until
> after Dec 25 if you're still interested in what I might dig up then.

I'm not sure if I have now posted multiple copies of this due to the
crapness that is google groups.  But for an NXP1000 there needs to be
some way of setting them (or knowing them) from the front panel as it
were, because there is no other way of talking to the box until the
network is up.

--tim
From: Tim Bradshaw
On Dec 14, 10:54 pm, Raymond Laning <········@raytheon.com> wrote:
> Relying only on long-not-refreshed memory, weren't those parameters
> settable?  Maybe in the FEP?  I've got some Symbolics manuals (including
> the FEP) for Genera 7 but I won't be able to lay hands on them until
> after Dec 25 if you're still interested in what I might dig up then.

I hope they're settable by jumper or something, because for an NXP1000
there *is* no way of talking to the box before the network is up other
than through the serial port :-)

--tim
From: Rainer Joswig
Am 15.12.2006 18:19 Uhr schrieb "Tim Bradshaw" unter <··········@tfeb.org>
in ························@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> On Dec 14, 10:54 pm, Raymond Laning <········@raytheon.com> wrote:
>> Relying only on long-not-refreshed memory, weren't those parameters
>> settable?  Maybe in the FEP?  I've got some Symbolics manuals (including
>> the FEP) for Genera 7 but I won't be able to lay hands on them until
>> after Dec 25 if you're still interested in what I might dig up then.
>
> I hope they're settable by jumper or something, because for an NXP1000
> there *is* no way of talking to the box before the network is up other
> than through the serial port :-)
>
> --tim

The settings for the NXP1000 completely standard. There was nothing unusual.
I've set up mine from scratch with a Mac and a terminal program without
problems. I can't remember what it was now, but one of 2400/4800/9600
should work. I think it would take like 2 minutes experimentation
to find out, if you ever have used a serial attached terminal.
From: Tim Bradshaw
Rainer Joswig wrote:

> The settings for the NXP1000 completely standard. There was nothing unusual.
> I've set up mine from scratch with a Mac and a terminal program without
> problems. I can't remember what it was now, but one of 2400/4800/9600
> should work. I think it would take like 2 minutes experimentation
> to find out, if you ever have used a serial attached terminal.

Unfortunately I have a rather specific problem: I'm actually talking to
it via a bluetooth <-> RS232 dongle, which I use for Sun consoles etc
(and thence from kermit on a mac).  This is all fine, but for one
crucial thing: to change the serial parameters of the dongle you have
to use some windows application, which means reviving some near-dead
laptop, having the Mac bluetooth stuff at some point forget it is
paired with the dongle, sacrificing a virgin, and so on every time I
have to change the speed.  I was trying to avoid doing this more than
once (well, twice: once to change it, once back).

--tim